Rig Master Generators

ferretluver

Seasoned Expediter
Hey guys! My husband and I have a rig master generator on our truck which is wonderful but seems to be nothing but problems.... We had it serviced a few weeks ago because the water pump belt fell off and it work wonders for awhile. However, now it shuts down all the time saying the battery voltage is low. We run the truck for a few hours, turn it back on, it shuts down and the cycle continues..:) Does anyone know what might be causing this?? Thanks!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Sounds like your Rig Master alternator is not charging.

When you start the truck it recharges the battery on the Rig Master.

FJK1954

Expert Expediter
mine did the same for quite awhile...just replaced the alternator, now it runs like a champ, but still the low voltage alarm goes off but it doesnt shut down, i think its something in the wiring.

guido4475

Not a Member
Just a thought, maybe it would be a good idea to check and clean all battery and alternator connections, as well as all ground wires. I've had the same problem with my powertech generator, and I did that, and did not have any more trouble out of it.

carverstart1

Seasoned Expediter
It could possibly be the alternator or a corroded connection. Check all Battery connections and run a volt meter on the back of the alternator. If you are not getting aprox. 14.2 volts you could have an alternator problem. Have an electrical specialty shop check it out.

raylawrence

Expert Expediter
Sorry for the delayed post on this charging issue. Chances are the alternator is not charging giving you a charging error code. We can supply and install either a new alternator or a rebuilt, your choice. Having said that, we have seen charging issues on rigmasters that have perfectly good alternators. sometime it is a simple connection issue.

We would be happy to assist you.

Ray Lawrence
President
Espar of Michigan
http://www.esparofmichigan.com

PROUD SPONSOR OF THE EO FORUM

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Ray does a great job on trouble shooting these things. Just a after thought, if it starts and runs, turn your truck ignition to accessory,but don't start engine, and then look at your volt meter. Should say 14V.
If nothing happens or shows 12V, as mentioned, wiring or bad alternator.

raylawrence

Expert Expediter
Thank Dave. We appreciate the support. We are servicing a Rigmaster unit tomorrow with almost 12,000 hours on it. It's only 3 years old! Now thats an ROI.

hey, missed you at the Expo.

Ray Lawrence
President
Espar of Michigan

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Hopefully we will make the next one. Had a scheduling conflict this year. 12,000 hrs is a bunch.

atlas1220

Not a Member
Ray Lawrence

Hey Ray !!!

Long time no see :)

Actually , I just seen ya last Thurs. Ya'll took great care of my Columbia and my
logo_rm.gif

raylawrence

Expert Expediter
The 12,000 hr Rigmaster we worked on today went in service April/2007. Thats an average on 445 hours a month! It is all original except waterpump and exhuast. It was new to the 2007 - 387 Pete in 4/07.

Whats really crazy, the truck only has 5,152 total hours on the engine. If the truck hadn't had a Rigmaster or other idle reduction device, the truck engine would have over 17,152 hours on it! the operator has saved over $30,000.00 in fuel cost to the truck!

Ray Lawrence
President
Espar of Michigan

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Sorry for the delayed post on this charging issue. Chances are the alternator is not charging giving you a charging error code. We can supply and install either a new alternator or a rebuilt, your choice.

Not knowing squat about APU's I would like to know if the alt are rebuildable vs replacing?? any savings with fixing what ya got compared to buying new parts??
Use to be a day when ya could rebuild Alternators..Just wondering bout this as I should get some sourse of aux power unit soon..

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
The 12,000 hr Rigmaster we worked on today went in service April/2007. Thats an average on 445 hours a month! It is all original except waterpump and exhuast. It was new to the 2007 - 387 Pete in 4/07.

Whats really crazy, the truck only has 5,152 total hours on the engine. If the truck hadn't had a Rigmaster or other idle reduction device, the truck engine would have over 17,152 hours on it! the operator has saved over $30,000.00 in fuel cost to the truck!

I'll tell ya what's crazier Ray,the fact that this guy is sitting and running his rigmaster 166 days of every year and only running the truck 71 days. Sounds like an expediter,an expediter with a company that can't find him enough loads to stay busy:eek:

Last edited:

raylawrence

Expert Expediter
Actually, these guys haul stage equipment for concerts and such. so they do sit around ALOT running their APU's.

just a note of interest - this company is signed on to the U2 Concert Tour in N.A. They have 160 tractor/trailers signed on to move the stage and sound equipment around N.A. That must be one heck of a show!

Ray Lawrence
President
Espar of Michigan

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Ray,is the Rig Master APU powered by a Kubota diesel motor?

Was just wondering what the expected lifespan of a Kubota is,as we have an Onan APU powered by a Kubota and currently have 6300+ hrs on the unit.

12,000 hrs,and never having the engine rebuilt sounds pretty good to me.Other than belts and an ongoing problem with water pumps (defective) we have been trouble free engine wise.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Rigmaster uses Perkins and Cat. As I understand it, they are basically one in the same. Perkins builds the Cat engine.

dieselwrench

Seasoned Expediter
Rigmaster uses Perkins. The water pumps on the kubotas have a weep hole that does its thing, its weeps. When I first bought my truck I noticed the weep was wet and planned on replacing it soon. I have been watching it real close for a year and I think it is weeping less. If your Kub water pump is a little damp dont panick, just watch it.
Espar of Mi. is a good outfit, They fixed my heater and it works great

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Rigmaster uses Perkins. The water pumps on the kubotas have a weep hole that does its thing, its weeps. When I first bought my truck I noticed the weep was wet and planned on replacing it soon. I have been watching it real close for a year and I think it is weeping less. If your Kub water pump is a little damp dont panick, just watch it.
Espar of Mi. is a good outfit, They fixed my heater and it works great

On my fourth water pump here,and know all about the weep holes. My trouble is that they start out weeping,then sobbing,and then we get too where I am now (again) where it is outright bawling. I'm just thinking that there is a design flaw or they are cheap Chinese or Mexican crap.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
On my fourth water pump here,and know all about the weep holes. My trouble is that they start out weeping,then sobbing,and then we get too where I am now (again) where it is outright bawling. I'm just thinking that there is a design flaw or they are cheap Chinese or Mexican crap.

Just a thought, how tight are your belts?