Reply from Pilot Corporation - Shower Procedures

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
I thought it only fair to give Pilot Travel Centers the opportunity to respond to the post regarding the shower cleaning procedures.

I sent them a copy of the post and requested a reply.

Here is their response:

Dear Rev. Hall:

Thank you for taking time to email me with your concern. I had forwarded your message to my supervisor, who has served as a Regional Manager and has also worked in some of our stores. He has responded that we do not use "soiled" towels and washcloths used by the customers.
Our procedures do however, ask the team member to use a clean towel to wipe down the sink and mirror. A different towel for the toilet area, and finally
another clean towel for the shower.
We don't want to use a mop to clean the floor or the base of the shower. The mop would retain bacteria from each use and would only spread this from shower to shower. A clean towel for each area is the correct way to go. We do sometimes use towels that are worn too much to offer a customer. These are kept in a separate area and washed separately.
It is not our policy to use soiled towels, only clean towels. We appreciate your business and your feedback.

Sincerely,
Edna Stephens
Customer Service Supervisor

Note: Although it may not be their policy to use soiled towels, that does not negate the fact that a team member may not be following the policy. It would be my suggestion that anyone else who has witnessed the use of soiled towels to clean the shower, sink, toilet and floor at a Pilot Travel Center to immediately contact them.

Here is the link for contacting them regarding a particular Pilot Travel Center:

Pilot Travel Centers LLC - Contact Customer Service

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Why not go to the Manager of the Pilot Center when you observe this type of cleaning conduct?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This response from Pilot management concerns me more than it puts me at ease. We all know that truck stop janitors are kept very busy and attention to detail may not always be present.

While I appreciate the intent and understand the logic, it frightens me to learn that Pilot uses towels to clean showers. I don't have a lot of confidence that the truck stop janitors wash the towels separately.

I would feel much better if Pilot followed the same procedures, but had different colored towels for different purposes. Have one color of towels and wash cloths for drivers. Have another color for janitors to use when cleaning the showers.
The color distinction would make it easier for people to keep the towels and their purposes safely separate.

A towel of one color costs the same as a towel of another. Using different color towels would be a way for Pilot to improve customer service and satisfaction, without increasing costs.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Yeah, it doesn't sound like they were willing to check into the matter, but rather to defend their position that NONE of their emplyees mix and match customer towels with cleaning towels. This is definitely NOT the attitude you hope for in management.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
This response from Pilot management concerns me more than it puts me at ease.

I'm with ya on that one, Phil. The different colored towels is a great idea, but what bothers me most about the reply is,"He has responded that we do not use "soiled" towels and washcloths used by the customers,"and yet, they do. That's precisely what we see time and time again at Pilot. We see it at too many of them. Of course they do.

Another one that bothers me is, "
We don't want to use a mop to clean the floor or the base of the shower. The mop would retain bacteria from each use and would only spread this from shower to shower. A clean towel for each area is the correct way to go." Time and time again I have seen them use only a towel to wipe down the walls, floor and base of the shower. No disinfectant was used. A clean towel will not disinfect these areas. A mop soaked in detergent and bleach will, however. But the bleach means the lifespan of the mop head will be reduced. <gasp>

I rarely take showers at Pilot, mainly because they don't give me free showers and the Flying J does. But sometimes there are no Flying J's around and I still need a shower. It's to the point that I'd rather forgo the shower if the only alternative is to take one at a Pilot. Most locations have exceedingly poor ventilation in the showers, which in and of itself helps promote the conditions where bacteria can flourish, and add to that the non-use or stingy-use of disinfectant, and it's not a situation I want to be in.

The showers at Flying J are, with rare exceptions, clean and dry and well sanitized.

And, they give you TWO towels. That right there is enough to make me not want to go anywhere else. One becomes a floor mat after I've used it.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
Ok, maybe I'm a germaphobic but I always take a small bottle of disinfectant with me whenever I have to take a shower in ANY truckstop. I also ask for an extra towel and just like TURTLE said, I use it for a bathmat.

Team_Logan

Seasoned Expediter
The response given by Pilot management deeply concerns me. You would think that with so many posts from unhappy consumers, a red flag would have been raised amongst the upper management at Pilot. Instead, it's almost like they brushed our comments off, with little concern about changing our minds. They have also made it clear that they have no intention of looking into the matter. Does that scream 'We don't care about our customers' to you? It certainly does to me.

Since we are a team, my husband and I usually shower together. We prefer Flying J's over any other truck stop, because they are typically much cleaner and better equipped than the other stops. But, a lot of it has to do with the extra towels they give us, as well. In fact, we actually request a third towel every time we shower, just to use as a floor mat.

I definately agree with the colored towel issue. It would certainly be easier for consumers to see that the procedures were being followed, as well. However, as stated above, you can't clean a bathroom with just a towel. You have to disinfect it, and we all know the reasons why. Not only do you have hundreds of drivers in and out of those showers a day, bringing cold and flu germs with them, but you also have mold, dirt, soap scum, urine and everything else involved. If some disgruntled trucker were to wipe feces on the walls, would they use the same towel to clean that up that they are using to clean my shower? I don't mean to be distasteful, but I think that is a genuine concern here.

Ordinarily, we go inside to check out the facilities before packing a shower bag, at any truck stop. However, after the response from Pilot, they have simply made our decision easier. We won't be using Pilot anymore at all. Not even the clean ones. I prefer to keep my business with companies who care about the health, welfare and happiness of its' consumers.

Happy showering!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't buy the excuses.

1 - old towels should be discarded, used as oil rags or sell them to truckers who want to polish their crome. This is part of doing business, what's next going into the garbage to retrieve coffee cups and stirrers

2 - Cleaning without using disinfectant opens all of us up for bacteria and viruses.

3 - Not mopping the floors means that the staff and management are lazy and don't care about the well being of the customer.

4 - The most important reason for thoroughly cleaning the showers is not for the customer but to limit the liability of someone catching something very serious and not suing the company - with this evidence, a good ambulance chaser would end up driving the company into the ground.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
We don't want to use a mop to clean the floor or the base of the shower. The mop would retain bacteria from each use and would only spread this from shower to shower.
Sincerely,
Edna Stephens
Customer Service Supervisor
I don't understand this logic at all. A Hospital uses a mop - with a proper anti-bacterial & anti-fungal solution. Why doesn't Pilot?:confused:

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Pilot has really changed over the years and I guess they forgot how they got where they are. And it was also overheard by a driver and I believe it was even posted on EO that a district or regional manager was overheard saying we don't want drivers hanging around, we want them to fuel buy their stuff and leave. Which is one of the reasons they got rid of all the sit down restaurants and driver lounges. ( remember free coffee? ) not to mention speedway and williams truck stops.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Excellent posts!

Now, here is the challenge...

Has anyone who expressed their comments on EO clicked the link that was provided and sent their comments to Pilot Corporate?

One person may get brushed off as a malcontent, but many drivers sending negative reviews to Pilot may get them to review policy and procedures at their locations.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Which is one of the reasons they got rid of all the sit down restaurants and driver lounges.

In breaking news from October that somehow got past the good folks here at EO, and currently it's only at the Madera, CA, Clear Lake, IA and the Mt Vernon, IL locations, but Pilot and Denny's have teamed up.

"Denny's Corp. and Pilot Travel Centers LLC said that Denny's will develop restaurants within Pilot Travel Centers across the United States. This new relationship represents the joining of two of the nation's largest companies in their respective categories: the largest full-service family restaurant chain and the largest operator of travel centers."

"
The first Denny's/Pilot location is under construction in Mount Vernon, Ill. Development of additional Denny's restaurants in Pilot Travel Center locations is expected to begin early next year."

"The Denny's restaurant within the Pilot Travel Center will be predominately based on Denny's new prototype design with square footage and seating in line with a typical building."

"Our customers have requested more full-service restaurants, and we are pleased to respond through our partnership with Denny's," said Mark Hazelwood, executive vice president of sales and development of Pilot Travel Centers. "We plan to add 20-25 new travel centers per year, and for the full-service locations Denny's is a good fit for that growth plan."

Pilot, Denny's Team Up | CSP Daily News / Magazine | CSP Information Group, Inc.

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Hmmm Thats interesting !!!

Also per Jay Leno; Researchers have found that the best time to have sex is 7 a.m. and the best time to eat breakfast is 8:30 a.m. so Dennys decided to come up the the Wham Bam thank you Ma'am Grand Slam breakfast.

I think you might be able to use your pilot points for that.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Denny's is a nice addition, but it would also be nice to get rid of GREYHOUND,scarey dudes come off those buses.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I have never showered at a Pilot. Being a van driver, the J is the only one I'm aware of that lets van drivers earn showers, so I tend to seek them out and if I'm in a city that doesn't have a J I'll look for the next place I can find. I have seen all kinds of things when I've observed a shower being cleaned, but I believe the last J I showered at (near Birmingham) was using white rags and some spray disinfectant cleaning their showers. I made a mental note that the cleaning rags were a different color than the towels. The only really nasty shower I had at a J was the one in Kansas City and I haven't showered there since.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I ran out of hours unexpectedly due to weather at the new Pilot at exit 92 on I-64 in IN Feb.12 . I went in at 4 a.m. to shower and have my coffee . No showers were available . On my way to the men's room I saw all the showers were dirty , waiting to be cleaned . After 1 was cleaned I went to the truck to wait for my 10 hours to be up . When I went back in an hour later all the showers were dirty nd the employee that had cleaned the 1 for me was headed out the door to go home , leaving the dirty showers for the day shift This week I showered at the Pilot on the east side of exit 175 on I-75 in KY (no ,not my only shower ). There was no soap in the shower , none in supply . They gave me a bar of Zest . The towels were not properly dried , still damp . They gave me dry ones .

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Hmmm Thats interesting !!!

Also per Jay Leno; Researchers have found that the best time to have sex is 7 a.m. and the best time to eat breakfast is 8:30 a.m. so Dennys decided to come up the the Wham Bam thank you Ma'am Grand Slam breakfast.

I think you might be able to use your pilot points for that.
Are you sure that wasn't a Bam Bam breakfast ?