Reflective Tape

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
Yep that is what I am trying to say the manufactures listen to drivers and what they think we need or what the manufactures think we need and not verifying it with the regulations.

We need to learn all we can from each other and stay proactive as the buck stops with us.

When something as common as a bass boat trailer is made by a manufacturer, a drawing of the lights, reflectors and tape has to be sent to DOT for their final approval. No matter what else fishermen may want on their trailer, they have to DOT compliant as far as the tape, lights and so on. All I am saying is that the manufacturers know the reg's and if they don't put it on there, it is not needed to be compliant. Simple as that. Period. All those trucks I looked at, all the trucks running up and down the road without the tape, can't be wrong.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Actually I hate to break the news to both of you, it is the owner and driver who are responsible for that truck, not the dealer or manufacturer.

What I mean is if the truck is accepted by the owner or driver and there is something missing, then it falls on them.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
Actually I hate to break the news to both of you, it is the owner and driver who are responsible for that truck, not the dealer or manufacturer.

What I mean is if the truck is accepted by the owner or driver and there is something missing, then it falls on them.

Ah he77, I give up. Nobody is ever right on here. You keep thinking what you like. It is the manufacturer who is responsible for it to be compliant. It may be your responibilty to make sure it is. But they know the reg's and built them to meet them.

And no, you didn't hate to break the news to us!!! hehehe!

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Really?

There are mistakes being made, manufacturers are not the defense nor are they are responsible for that trailer or vehicle to be 100% compliant when it is delivered.

The thing I am saying is that when a delivery is made, it is the owner or driver who is ultimately responsible to make sure the manufacturer does their job, not the regulations. It is the regulations that force the driver to sign off on the safety of that unit after the pretrip is done, and if something is wrong, the manufacturer is not the one who is goes through a roadside and then gets the violation - the driver does.

RNewberry

Active Expediter
There are no conspicuity tape requirements or standards for straight trucks. There may be confusion about the conspicuity tape requirements for new tractors and trailers and the retrofit requirements for used trailers. In order to clear up any confusion, some explanation is in order.

Conspicuity Requirements - The conspicuity requirements (for manufacturers of new truck tractors, trailers and semitrailers) are only applicable to trailers 80" or more in overall length with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) greater than 10,000 lbs. manufactured on or after Dec. 1, 1993, and truck tractors manufactured on or after July 1, 1997. Again, conspicuity requirements do not apply to straight trucks.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
There are no conspicuity tape requirements or standards for straight trucks. There may be confusion about the conspicuity tape requirements for new tractors and trailers and the retrofit requirements for used trailers. In order to clear up any confusion, some explanation is in order.

Conspicuity Requirements - The conspicuity requirements (for manufacturers of new truck tractors, trailers and semitrailers) are only applicable to trailers 80" or more in overall length with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) greater than 10,000 lbs. manufactured on or after Dec. 1, 1993, and truck tractors manufactured on or after July 1, 1997. Again, conspicuity requirements do not apply to straight trucks.

Ahhh.....another "Newby".....

Guess we need to school ya a little.....

Go here:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=r49CFR393.11

Now study the WHOLE page..not just the parts that say trailers...Conspicuity....or whatever...Read it 27 times if you need to.

Make sure you study the Chart Labeled: Table 1 of § 393.11—Required Lamps and Reflectors on Commercial Motor Vehicles

And then right directly below that, Study this Legend: Legend: Types of commercial motor vehicles shown in the last column of Table 1.

Now, a "Straight Truck" does fall under the A and/or B Classification.

Now refer back up the Chart mentioned above......stare very closely at the last Column in each and every category, and you will see that Vehicles A & B are listed in almost each and every category.

So yes.....what this orginally started out as, it is very clear that "Reflective Requirements" are mandatory on "Straight Trucks".

Hope this Helps......and......You're Welcome........

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Ahhh.....another "Newby".....

Guess we need to school ya a little.....

Go here:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=r49CFR393.11

Now study the WHOLE page..not just the parts that say trailers...Conspicuity....or whatever...Read it 27 times if you need to.

Make sure you study the Chart Labeled: Table 1 of § 393.11—Required Lamps and Reflectors on Commercial Motor Vehicles

And then right directly below that, Study this Legend: Legend: Types of commercial motor vehicles shown in the last column of Table 1.

Now, a "Straight Truck" does fall under the A and/or B Classification.

Now refer back up the Chart mentioned above......stare very closely at the last Column in each and every category, and you will see that Vehicles A & B are listed in almost each and every category.

So yes.....what this orginally started out as, it is very clear that "Reflective Requirements" are mandatory on "Straight Trucks".

Hope this Helps......and......You're Welcome........

I don't see a listing for crooked trucks? Whats up with that?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
A straight truck does not need conspicuity tape.

Figure 2 is for lighting
Figure 8 is for trailers

49CFR393.11(b) discusses the application of conspicuity systems on trailers. 49CFR571.108 discusses the requirement for the conspicuity systems on tractors. The 393.11 diagrams clearly indicate the location of the tapes on trailers and tractors and do not show a requirement on straight trucks of any size. This would include the absence of requirement of the white tape on the rear of the straight truck box.

We have conspicuity tape on both sides of our truck as well as on the doors as if we were a trailer to avoid having this discussion at a scale.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If you DO NOT need the tape ,which I believe to be true, can you be cited for defective tape if the un-needed tape peels off or is obstructed ? Akin to be ticketed for an un-needed light . During an inspection I asked the officer about an additional turn signal I had added. He said he didn't care about it since it isn't required .

Brisco

Expert Expediter
A straight truck does not need conspicuity tape.

Figure 2 is for lighting
Figure 8 is for trailers

49CFR393.11(b) discusses the application of conspicuity systems on trailers. 49CFR571.108 discusses the requirement for the conspicuity systems on tractors. The 393.11 diagrams clearly indicate the location of the tapes on trailers and tractors and do not show a requirement on straight trucks of any size. This would include the absence of requirement of the white tape on the rear of the straight truck box.

We have conspicuity tape on both sides of our truck as well as on the doors as if we were a trailer to avoid having this discussion at a scale.

And you've been the only here so far to say that you've actually applied the "Conspicuity Tape" on your truck. "To Avoid Hassles with the DOT" was your reason why you went the extra step, which is a smart idea.

Many people do think conspicuity tape is the same as Reflective Tape, which it is not, and of which what this whole 4 page discussion is all about(REFLECTIVE TAPE). My belief was the Newby up there might have that same assumption since he went from a discussion about Reflective Tape requirements over to Conspicuity Tape requirements for Straight Trucks.

Just thought I'd refresh the discusssion by pointing that even though there are no "Conspicuity Tape" requirements for Straight Trucks, the boxes on Straight Trucks ARE required to have the same Reflective Tapes installed just as Tractor Trailer "Trailers" have.

No Biggie...................

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
And you've been the only here so far to say that you've actually applied the "Conspicuity Tape" on your truck. "To Avoid Hassles with the DOT" was your reason why you went the extra step, which is a smart idea.

It's not in this thread, but I put the tape on my truck too, for the same reason as TC. Skyraider let me stand on his van, and posted a photo that shows it, maybe a year ago.
It's reflective tape [red & white blocks] and I don't find anything in the regs about Conspicuity tape, either - just a section on Conspicuity Systems describing retroreflective sheeting [the tape, I believe] and reflex reflectors.

Many people do think conspicuity tape is the same as Reflective Tape, which it is not, and of which what this whole 4 page discussion is all about(REFLECTIVE TAPE). My belief was the Newby up there might have that same assumption since he went from a discussion about Reflective Tape requirements over to Conspicuity Tape requirements for Straight Trucks.

Please cite the place that describes Conspicuity tape, cause I haven't found it.
I did find the term "as high as is practicable" [referring to lights], which makes me wonder what the DOT considers 'practicable' in a truck that is 13-14 ft high & carries no ladder..... [ok, MOST carry no ladder, lol].

Just thought I'd refresh the discusssion by pointing that even though there are no "Conspicuity Tape" requirements for Straight Trucks, the boxes on Straight Trucks ARE required to have the same Reflective Tapes installed just as Tractor Trailer "Trailers" have.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy

It's not in this thread, but I put the tape on my truck too, for the same reason as TC. Skyraider let me stand on his van, and posted a photo that shows it, maybe a year ago.
It's reflective tape [red & white blocks] and I don't find anything in the regs about Conspicuity tape, either - just a section on Conspicuity Systems describing retroreflective sheeting [the tape, I believe] and reflex reflectors.

Please cite the place that describes Conspicuity tape, cause I haven't found it.
I did find the term "as high as is practicable" [referring to lights], which makes me wonder what the DOT considers 'practicable' in a truck that is 13-14 ft high & carries no ladder..... [ok, MOST carry no ladder, lol].

View attachment 4122 Down in Laredo