question about randoms

lisalewis

Seasoned Expediter
We've been hit with sooo many randoms these past 6 months and I don't know why?? Two days ago my husband and I BOTH had to go for a drug screen (his 3rd...my 4th in 6 months)!! I drink only water...could this be the reason? Are my screens coming back dilute? No one has told us anything. Oh well.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Random drug tests and done by a ss# lottery a computer spits out the ss# of a driver then the company is told to test that person. And in 99% of the cases it’s the insurance company that does this. 1. To lower their risk of having an insured driver out there on drugs. 2.To keep companies from showing favoritism or harassing a driver .

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Lisa: drinking enough water to dilute the test sample is not as easy as you'd think. If you did manage it, they'd want to retest you immediately, dilution being one method used by individuals to 'clean up their act' after the fact. The simple truth is that in a genuinely random selection, you have the same chance of being chosen every time - being chosen this month doesn't get you a pass next month.
Maybe with the apparent luck you have at being 'chosen', you ought to see if the same holds true for the lottery?:D

indydad11934

Seasoned Expediter
I went a year without being called for a random test. Then, while in Toledo, Oh....Panther notified me. Ten days later, while in Laredo, Tx they called me to take another test.

I passed both tests because I studied real hard.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lets see ones name could be entered in the computer more then once..this would greatly enhance your chance of being picked.

TwoMotherTrkrs

Seasoned Expediter
Gosh, I was not bothered for a Random for 3 1/2 years and then 3 monthes in a row they called me in. On the 4th month I called in to Safety on about the same day of the month and asked where they wanted me to report for my monthly Random. They laughed. I laughed. Haven't heard from them since, but who knows, it's been almost another year now!

Barb

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I understand that. But if your name comes up in the lottery, Tri-state is requiring YOU to fullfill THEIR requirements. Therefore, they should foot the bill. YOU are filling THEIR quota.

Do you expect them to pay for your annual truck DOT inspection or bi-annual physical? It's a DOT requirement, NOT the companies.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Panther required me to pay for my dot physical, but not the random drug tests, or dot inspection on the van. All I had to do regarding the inspection was bring the van into panther hq garage and they inspected it there.