Previous careers

jf393

Rookie Expediter
Hello all. My wife and I are considering a career change to expediting from non driving careers. We've had previous posts in the "newbie" forum. There is a wealth of knowledge on this site, and it's greatly appreciated. We've learned so much by doing research. My question is, just out of curiosity , what careers did you have previously to expediting? What made you decide to get into the business?
thanks!

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
I was a lighting/video/sound tech. If you've seen the multi color lights around the superdome or champions square next to the superdome I helped put that in. I mostly did large festivals and corporate shows/conventions. I was a free lance tech so I worked with multiple companies. I left to get a new experience and more stable work. Also I see better money in what I'm doing now.
I will probably end up back in production work if I ever have enough trucks that I don't need to drive to sustain the company.

My Business partner left a delivered catering and hated it.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was the official thorn in the side of a linen/uniform rental company.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I wanted something less stressful than nursing, but need to be financially self sufficient, and pole dancing wasn't feasible.

Reactions: JohnMueller

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been in trucking most of my adult life. I started out driving tractor/trailers pulling dry vans, pulp log trailers, grain trailers, container/pigs and doubles. After years of hard work, gaining knowledge and experience, I made the logical career advancement to expediting. My apprenticeship in expediting lasted about 14 months driving a straight truck or a cargo van. Finally I reached the pinnacle of the trucking industry, cargo van owner/operator.

My name is Moot and that's my story.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I gave up pole dancing for this.
5xHI9uf.gif

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I have 3 friends still driving in their 60's. Expediting is where you go when you get older. Interviews with idiot human resource managers drove them out. In other words, they got to old, and the folks hiring them were their kids ages,,,it doesn't work in their opinion. So, expediting has no age limits mostly and there you have it and thats why they say they are here.

Last edited:

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ambulance, construction, data entry, courier, and the dreaded McDonald's...

Sent from my XT1028 using EO Forums mobile app

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Various desk jobs. I worked for the IRS, but left that because I wanted a less taxing job, then spent the next 11 years at a couple banks and a financial services company, sold mutual funds for a bit, then went into expediting because things were slow in the financial services industry. (or I sucked at sales) Things have come full circle with things having grown to the point where I'm behind a desk again.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Plant manager. 6 years.
Warehouse & distribution manager. 3 years.
Sales of that distributed product. 1 year.
Warehouse manager. 2 years.
Terminal manager & Ops manager for courier & trucking co. 9.5 years.
Started own courier & expediting Co. 2.5 years.
Yes. I'm getting older now.

Reactions: asjssl

wimpy007

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
US Army
I did 13 years in the US Army, retired (1), Police Officer for 22 years, retired (2), in 1996 went to work of Roberts/FedEx. retired (3), lasted about 2 months, FedEx was not hiring, took a tour with Tri-State for a short time, Finally Con-Way Now/Panther retired in 2014 at (4) 80 years young. -----
anyone need old driver. lol

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Plant manager. 6 years.
Warehouse & distribution manager. 3 years.
Sales of that distributed product. 1 year.
Warehouse manager. 2 years.
Terminal manager & Ops manager for courier & trucking co. 9.5 years.
Started own courier & expediting Co. 2.5 years.
Yes. I'm getting older now.
Couldn't keep a job, huh? :p

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Auto mechanic, then HD truck mechanic, then motorcycle mechanic. Got tired of that work, started driving TT and straight trucks with a 100 mile radius of home. Quit that to open a dealership, Polaris, Victory and full line Kawasaki. Good times but the economy finally ended that dream. Started driving an expedite cargo van mostly for the freedom of taking time off when I wanted and not actually having a boss to answer to. I started driving my CV almost three years ago, the day after returning from the August Sturgis Rally. Went out and bought a van, started knocking on doors. And here I am on my second carrier in 3 years. Enjoying the work and the lifestyle. Tired of dealing with retail sales!

Chris@Doms

Seasoned Expediter
Carrier Management
Pizza delivery
Gas stations
Production foreman for a newspaper for 11 years
Mechanic for a bit
Owned and operated a towing company
Work as dispatch now for a carrier in expediting, and soon will be buying trucks of my own.
Before I started the towing company I was the fence about buying a sprinter and driving. I miss towing, it was fun and interesting, but I need to make more then bill money a month. I think this industry has that potential.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Always been a driver,graduated high school and went to work in the family trucking company in 1979, my father passed away in 1990 and my mother sold all the trucks, I took one and have been a single truck (now van since 2003 ) ever since

Sent from my GT-P7510 using EO Forums mobile app