owners contracts for newbies

hino magic

Seasoned Expediter
i wanted to send this letter in so new people dont get taken to the cleaners like i did when i started out.always make sure you see the contract prior to attending any orientation.that way you may take to an attorney prior to signing it.also make sure the owners will always make any repairs needed to the truck, instead driving junk and the owner not caring as long as you are making money for them.also make sure you pick a good company. alot of them make promises and never carry through on the safety part of it like they say they do.i drove for a company in the past but safety was put on the side when the load had to be delivered.this company thinks they are untouchable when it comes to safety and they dont worry about the drivers safety except to tell them to do the best you can but be safe.you people that are thinking about expediting should check the company located in Perrysburg,Ohio.they are a very honest,safe,caring,and dedicated to concerns of there drivers and families.after working for another company east of there i found out what it was to work for a family oriented company and to drive for an owner who listens to the driver and provides the driver with excellent equipment to do the job with. unlike this other owner who bought junk and never wanted to repair anything on the truck. So all you people make sure you watch for the owners who dont want to show you the contract until you are done with class.a lot of hidden things.beware of the owners who just want to get rich and watch you all the time.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
So far two posts, and two flame jobs. Can't help but to think we won't see or hear from them much.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is good advice to understand the contract first whether talking about expediting or anything else contractual. Your experience isn't uncommon. For some reason it seems like a lot of people get into expediting without researching the business or the contracts they will be signing. I've always advised having your own attorney review your documents. If the owner won't furnish them that's a GOOD sign you should look for another situation. Good luck to you as you pursue your career.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
The poster boy talked about truck owner improprieties. Panther doesn't own trucks. They only own tag along vessels, i.e. flatbeds. van and reefer trailers.