need mapping software

spitfire

Expert Expediter
Been using DeLorme mapping software for about two yrs. I am very happy with it, but find my self going in to Canada more and more and wonder is anybody using or has seen software that covers Canada.Thanks

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
Well i have been looking into alot of mapping software and the best one that i have seen is Travroute co-pilot for TRucks...This way you dont have to deal with height,weight and it will redirect you if you go off course...and you can hit a button and get a new route from where you are at that moment for like if there is a detour ahead.....but it is $450 and it includes the Gps to hook up to your laptop or what ever...im not sure if it includes Canada...Hope this helps..im thinking of ordering it for my self or getting a couple of people together and going in on it and ordering extra gps sensors..

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Delorme also has Map n Go, which does include Canada. Their Street Atlas program has only the U.S. I use Street Atlas when I'm in the states because it is more detailed, but I use Map n Go when I'm in Canada.

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
As for routing, The Route planner software by Rand Mcnally does include Canada. I bought it at a truck stop.

One thing I noticed last time I was in a Fifth Wheel truck stop in Milton (I think. I could have been Grimsby) They had Canadian routing/streets software for sale there. I would think with the US to Canadian exchange the cost wouldn't be that bad.

I would also stop at the Lying J in London, Ontario. If anyone would have something like that for sale up there they would.

Hope it helps,

Bill

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I bought the Rand McNally trip-maker and street-finder at the Flying J in London for about $25 U.S. I think you could find a better software pckg. for trucks in particular, but this is o.k. You can cross-reference a route to the map and check for inadequate 2-lane roads. You can tailor it for your speeds and preferences, and the streetfinder can be handy, if you have time to look it up in advance. You can enter as many local areas into your hard drive as you want but will take more memory. Otherwise, you will need to pull out one of 4 CD's, plop it in, and then look up street. You could just load tripmaker if you want- did that on my home pc. Should be CA CD available- didn't think of that when I got it.

Barrelhunter

Expert Expediter
I use Microsoft, Streets and Trips 2002. The only problem I have is it doesn't have truck routing. It does have gps options if you have the delorme gps unit. I'm in a B-unit. It does try to send me on Parkways in NY and NJ. I've tried Rand McNally but wound up removing it in favor of Micosoft. Waiting to upgrade the machine before I go to Streets and Trips 2003. My 100 hega hertz just is a tad slow with 2002.

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
Rand mcnally has some for trucks only im not sure if it covers canada.Its $200 i looked into it.Right now im trying to decide on this one or the travroute with the gps sensor that auto corrects you when you go off course

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
JUST BOUGHT THE COPILOT TRUCK GPS SYSTEM, GOT TO PLAY AROUND WITH IT TODAY FOR A WHILE AND IF IT'S AS GOOD AS THEY CLAIM IT IS,IT'LL SURE MAKE EXPEDITING ALOT EASIER !! IT GAVE PRETTY GOOD MAPPING OF CANADA AROUND MONTREAL ,I WAS JUST CHECKING IT OUT WHEN MY LAPTOP FROZE UP NOW I HAVE TO WAIT TILL BEST BUY REPAIRS MY COMPUTER TO BE ABLE TO LET ANYONE KNOW WHAT I THINK. BUT SO FAR I'M IMPRESSED! IT WAS EVEN SHOWING THINGS LIKE LOCAL RESTRAUNTS,SCHOOLS,PARKS,EVEN HARDWARE STORES,REAL GOOD PIN POINT ADDRESSES ETC. WELL I CAN HARDLY WAIT TO USE IT! ANYONE ELSE HAVE ONE? IF SO HOW DO YOU LIKE YOURS? TAKE CARE EVERYONE :) :) :) LATER SHARP327

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I don't know if the data base is available for all points in Canada. I don't believe(alothough I could be wrong) that there is a national data base. Highways are a Provincial responsibility,so each has it's own standards of what to map. In Quebec it'll be in French.
I find MAPART maps usefull, but don't know what their software is like. I've tried a some free stuff on the internet, MAPBLAST, but for the smaller towns they tell you to get a local map.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
HI EVERYONE! WELL SO FAR MY LAPTOP HAS BEEN WORKING FINE AFTER BEST BUY DID AROUND 1500$ IN REPAIRS, IF IT GOES OUT AGAIN THEY'LL REPLACE IT! ANY WAY I'LL CUT TO THE CHASE, TRAVROUTE/COPILOT-TRUCK IS REALLY COOL,ONCE I LEARN THE INS AND OUTS! IT SAVES ALOT OF TIME NOT HAVING TO MAP OUT A RUN AND BEING ABLE TO DRIVE STRAIGHT TO THE CUSTOMERS LOCATION WITHOUT ASKING FOR DIRECTIONS WHICH TRANSLATES INTO TIME TO SPARE,I FIND MYSELF ARRIVING TOO EARLY AT TIMES. ON THE OTHER HAND NEW STREETS & ADDRESS'S MAY NOT BE IN THE SYSTEM, BUT FOR THE MOST PART I DON'T KNOW HOW I DID WITHOUT IT! I DID GO OUT AND BUY A PAIR OF AMPLIFIED PC SPEAKERS AND INSTALLED THEM TODAY BECAUSE MY LAPTOP SPEAKERS ARE NOT LOUD ENOUGH TO BE HEARD WITH ALL THE NOISES IN THE CAB,I MAY GET A MICROPHONE TO HOOK UP TO THE PC TO HELP WITH THE VOICE COMMANDS I SOMETIMES NEED TO GIVE. ALSO ALWAYS BEING ABLE TO KNOW YOUR ETA AND REMAINING MILES TO THE DESTINATION HELPS MORE THAN I CAN EXPLAIN! WHEN YOUR SITTING IN A TRUCK STOP YOU CAN ZOOM IN ON THE AREA YOUR IN AND IT'LL SHOW THINGS LIKE RESTURANTS,MOTELS,THEATERS,HOSPITALS,DOCTORS ETC. THINGS THAT YOU'D NEVER KNOW WERE THERE BECAUSE WHO WANTS TO DRIVE AROUND TOWN IN A TRUCK JUST HOPING YOU'LL FIND WHAT YOU NEED, THAT'S JUST A FEW OF THE FEATURES THAT I'VE SEEN SO FAR! AND AS OF TODAY I'D RECOMMEND IT!:7 SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG FOR ME TO POST THIS! BEST BUY IS'NT KNOWN FOR SPEEDY WARRANTY REPAIRS! BE CAREFUL OUT THERE! LATER SHARP327:) :)

Freight_Shaker

Expert Expediter
all this GPS software and gadgets can it tell you proper truck routes and stuff like that such as not to send you onto a parkway? LOL i use streets and trips to get a rough idea where i'm going.....regards

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
>one other thing to is how would one connect to the internet
>would it be done through a cell phone or....? regards
WEll first off you will have to have a laptop and the copilot software is about $450 It is for trucks only.From what i have been told it will give you truck accessable routes.So no having to worry about bridges or anything unless your a oversize load.As for the internet you can get patch cables for your phone that hooks to the laptop and uses your phone as a modem.Talk to your cell phone provider.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
HI ALL! ROLLNTHUNDER JUST ABOUT COVERED ALL YOUR QUESTIONS SHAKER! YOU CAN GO INTO THE OPTIONS AND SET UP YOUR OWN OPTIONS SUCH AS THE TYPE OF ROADS YOU PREFER,THIS WILL KEEP BIG TRUCKS FROM GOING PLACES THEY WON'T FIT OR SHOULD'NT GO! BUT IF YOU DRIVE A SMALLER TRUCK YOU CAN CHOSE ALL ROADS I GUESS! THE PART I HAVE A HARD TIME WITH IS TRUSTING IT 100% SOMETIMES I THINK I KNOW WHAT'S BEST! BUT I'VE FOUND THAT IF YOU'LL TRUST IT 99% IT'LL BE ALRIGHT, I FOUND THIS AT WWW.COPILOTTRUCK.COM , HOPE THIS HELPS YOU OUT! ALSO I HAVE A VERIZON WIRELESS PHONE WHICH I ORDERED A CONNECTIVITY KIT FOR, WORKS OK! AT LEAST IT KEEPS ME IN TOUCH WITH THE WORLD! AFTER I THINK 8PM AND ON WEEKENDS I HAVE UNLIMITED MINUTES TO DO ONLINE STUFF,OTHERWISE THEY'D COUNT AGAINST MY MINUTES, WELL I'VE GOT AN EARLY RUN SO I'D BETTER GET SOME SLEEP! YOU ALL BE CAREFUL OUT THERE! SHARP327:)