Mixing Battery Types

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Was going to do this in a private msg to the Grand Battery Wizard, but thought the answer may be of use to others.

I run a diesel GMC van, which has a two battery system for starting; one batt is under the hood and the other is underneath along the frame rail on the driver's side. I'm planning on adding two more batts on the frame rail for house power, along with whatever proper isolator/solenoid is needed. Then of course a proper fuse/breaker box for house distribution.

I've read that mixing automotive battery types is not always a great idea. I'd like to get some real deep cycle, not the half deep marine type. What is the current wisdom and how concerned need I be in mixing Optimas or similar with my current batts, and *which solenoid* would be best in this situation?

Can the solenoid be installed along the rail too, underneath, or does it need to be better protected from weather? If it needs to be under the hood to be protected, that would mean, I think, running the wiring from between the starting batt on the frame rail, up to the engine compartment and newly installed solenoid, then back to the rail for the house batts.

Or put the solenoid inside the van directly above the rail batts, which would be approx behind the drivers seat, perhaps. Eventually that is where my Espar will be, too.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Was going to do this in a private msg to the Grand Battery Wizard . . .

923097_10151581126408491_852594758_n.jpg

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm on a long load can't get into a real lengthy reply (applause, applause, applause). An isolator separates the house batteries from the cranking batteries when the ignition key is off, and connects them when the key on on. This prevents the cranking battery from receiving the same amp draws as the house bank, thereby shortening the life of the cranking battery, and prevents the house battery from depleting the cranking battery to the point it won't crank the engine.

When the key is on and the engine is running, the alternator is sending the same charging voltage to both the cranking and house batteries. What voltage that may be is usually determined by the cranking battery. If the house bank requires a different voltage than the starting battery, it won't get it.

AGM batteries require 14.2-14.8 volts, while wet cell (traditional, maintenance free, etc) require 13.2-13.8 volts. If your house bank is AGM, it will be chronically undercharged, and it's lifespan will be dramatically reduced. If you want an AGM house battery, you need an AGM cranking battery, as well.

They make true deep cycle wet cell batteries, of course. I've got four of them under my bunk. Trojan J305E 6-volt batteries, 305 amp hours per pair.

You can mix battery types, but you have to have a way to get each type the proper charging voltage and current. Sterling Power has such a device and it keeps the batteries totally isolated as well. You run the cable from the alternator directly to the Sterling Power charger, then from the charger you run one cable each to the house bank and the (usually) starter (wherever the cable from the alternator normally goes). The Sterling Power charger will then send the appropriate voltage and current to each battery bank. It will even boost the charging current to the AGM bank as needed. It's not cheap, about $400, but other than two separate alternators, it's the best and only way to deal with different battery types.

As for where to mount an isolator, because you're dealing with battery cable terminal connections, it needs to be relatively protected. Either under the hood or inside the van. Or, if you mount it outside, you'll need to at least use terminal boots or wrap it good with electrical tape. Otherwise the corrosion will be too great.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm running a Sears Diehard Platinum (AGM) for a starting battery, it has both top and side posts. Have I ever mentioned I like a starting battery with both top and side posts? My house batteries are a pair of Sears Diehard Platinum marine starting/deep cycle (not true deep cycle) with four tops posts. This setup works for me as I only have a Fantastic Vent, small inverter for my laptop, some lights and some low draw gadgets.

Whether you go with an isolator, charger or solenoid, try and mount it inside the van. Rain, snow and road chemicals will kill it if mounted under the hood.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Moot, for the isolator link, and yeah, I've read through so many past posts on the subject, both here and elsewhere, that my head is sort of spinning from all the info. Lots of great info, and lots of conflicting info as to best way, though none that seems to directly apply to having two starting batts, each in a different place, and what might be needed to add a house bank, diagram wise. I'm sure it's simpler than I think; I'd just like to get it right the first time.

Turtle (aka GBWiz), thanks for taking the time during a long run to answer. I appreciate the info on using two different types of batteries; I hadn't read it 'splained that way before. So, either a new set of starting batts to match what I get for the house bank in charging needs, or spring for the Sterling isolator.

Little by little it will start to make complete sense. Then something newer & mo' bettah will come along and change it all up ;)

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Well, the battery I have under the hood is a Duralast Platinum 78 AGM. (You'd like it, Moot; it has both side and top terminals. I did that so I could more easily help jumpstart other vehicles, as well as the odd time I've been stupid and have to jump my own vehicle). The other starting battery, underneath on the drivers side frame rail, has no markings unless I disconnect it and look at the top, so I'll do that when I'm not parked in hot sand.

edit: lost the post while I was working on it. (I'm vying for spot #2 in loquacious verbosity)

I was saying...

So, it may not be too big a deal matching battery types if I go for AGM's for my house batteries. Might have to just change out the existing underbody battery.

I'm not going to be doing overly huge draws on the house bank, though do plan on eventually running an Espar D2 and a decent 12v AC/DC fridge, like this one at TruckFridge: http://www.truckfridge.com/tf49acdc.html . Only info it gives is "24watts/hr" and 60w input, for which I will have to get out my supercomputer full of info bookmarks and see what that computes to in amp draw.

Beside those eventual power draws (the fridge is auto-switch between AC/DC when plugged into shore power or have a gen running, which is another eventual purchase), I'll need the house bank to run my Fantastic 6000 RBTA, regularly charge a couple things via 12v>USB, and via inverter my laptop and some chargers like those used for AA rechargeables and my Ryobi One+ cordless tools, and my wireless earpiece.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else pulling from the house bank other than the occasional powering of a Mirrored Dance Ball for when I throw dance parties in my van...

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I do highly recommend a battery monitor, especially if you get high dollar batteries. But the Espar draws overall about an amp per hour, not much. At times, like during the boost phase, it'll draw 8-10 amps, but that's only for a few minutes. Down on low it'll be less than an amp. But overall it's about an amp, no more than 1.5 amps per hour.

The AA charger will draw very little. I'd do that 12-volt direct, though. Anything you can do direct connect to the battery (well, to a distribution block) the better, because you don't lose anything via the inverter.

The Fan-Tastic draws very little amps. the 3-speed fan draws 1.86 Low, 2.29 Medium, and 3.0 High (the 14-speed fan is less, ranging from .2 to 1.9 amps, because with the 3-speed fan the amps have to go through the switch and the PC board in the fan, and with the remote (including the upgrade kit) the power goes through the PC board in the remote, which results in less amperage to run the fan.

The fridge will be the big draw over time. The 60W nominal input is the max draw it'll have. Since amps x volts = Watts, then Watts divided by either one will get you the other. Watts / volts gets you amp draw.

In this case, 60 Watts / 12 volts is 5 amps, which sounds about right for that fridge.

Of course, it won't always be running on high. It depends on ambient temperature, how full the fridge is (the fuller it is, even if it's full of paper or cotton towels, the more it holds on to the cold), and how often you open the door. It'll cool down to the set temperature, then shut off and will cycle on and off as needed. That's why they have the "average consumption" listed, and 24 Watt Hours (23 Watts / 12 volts = 2 amp hours). A home fridge, depending on the above factors, will generally run about 1/3 of the time. So over a 24 hour period the fridge will actually be running for 8 hours.

But in a truck or van, it depends on ambient temperature as much as anything. In the winter it's gonna be warm, especially of the Espar is blowing on or near the fridge, so that'll make it run more, and in the summer it's also gonna be hotter than normal room temperature (although, really, whatever the temperature of the room is, it's always room temperature har har) so it'll run more often in the summer, too. Instead of a one-third duty cycle, figure more along the lines of a two-thirds duty cycle, or about 40 Watt hours average, or 3.3 amps per hour from the battery with a 12-volt hookup.

You can figure about 80 amps per 24 hours for the fridge (3.3 x 24). Some days it'll be a little more than that, some days less, but that's a pretty good figure to use for calculating daily amp hour needs (or adjust that for whatever period between fully recharging the bank). Add up all the amps everything will use in a 24 hour period and you've got your minimum 50 percent battery bank size.

As an example, over a 24 hour period...

Fridge - 80 Ah
Espar - 24 Ah
1-amp Light - 6 Ah
Fan - 40 amps (2.5 x 16 hours)
Laptop - 20 amps (total guess)
Other stuff - 5 amps

That's a total of 175 amp hours from the battery. I would round it up to 200 for wiggle room and the Peukert Effect. That means you need a battery bank of 400 Ah in order to never run the batteries down below 50% Depth of Discharge (which is the compromise point between length of battery life and cost of the bank), provided you fully recharge the batteries within the 24 hour period.

Of course, those amp figures should be adjusted according to what all you run off the batteries (you'll likely to discover more things you can run off them), and of course you're not likely to run all those every day for that amount of time. It's just for illustration purposes.

Did I mention the battery monitor?

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Taking into consideration all the excellent info above (thanks again, Moot and Turtle) I am looking into which batteries I might purchase for the house bank.

I found some interesting info and am inching ever closer to devising a full plan, with an eye towards not having to expand it for a while, but being able to with ease if I ever do.

I'm running a Sears Diehard Platinum (AGM) for a starting battery ... My house batteries are a pair of Sears Diehard Platinum marine starting/deep cycle (not true deep cycle)...

I thought this was interesting; Johnson Controls manufactures both Sears Die Hard and Duralast (Autozone) batteries, among several others, and owns Optima.

That's a total of 175 amp hours from the battery. I would round it up to 200 for wiggle room and the Peukert Effect. That means you need a battery bank of 400 Ah in order to never run the batteries down below 50% Depth of Discharge...

Of course, those amp figures should be adjusted according to what all you run off the batteries (you'll likely to discover more things you can run off them), and of course you're not likely to run all those every day for that amount of time. It's just for illustration purposes.

Yep, I rarely even run the laptop in the van, though do at times and usually charge it while driving. I almost never run house lights from the battery, choosing to use instead some nifty camp lights that use AA's. I have a ton of Eneloops. You mentioned using 12v AA chargers...but I can't do that with LaCrosse or Maha chargers. They'll have to be used via inverter, unless there's some other wizardy I am unaware of. They too, though, are usually used when I have shore power or am home, at which time I charge a mess of them. I did purchase two Solar Battery Chargers for use on the road, but haven't tried 'em out yet.

So 200 amp hours is a high use scenario, most likely, though it is what I'm using as a guide. I think it wiser to do that than to be underpowered. My power needs will go up and down, to be sure, depending on season, if I have shore power or not (several of the Canadian places I park offer shore power) and if I am vancamping out in the desert or elsewhere.

With all that in mind, I'm considering getting two Trojan T6V AGM 200AH and will shop around for what else might fit the bill, as well as compare prices.

But, with these, because they are 6v, they have to be wired to make 12v and if I want more capacity in future, I will have to get another pair, correct? IF I end up going with 12v batteries instead and later decide to expand, can just one battery be added to the house bank for more power?

Also, I like the idea of being able to use the house bank to help aid the starting batteries in a jump, if need be, and am unclear what has to be done to be safe for the system with that. Can that be done simply with the isolator (looks like yes with the one mentioned below), or does one need to also add a switch?

I'm leaning towards the Hellroaring Isolator that Moot linked to, and like that they have an active tech department to help customers figure a good plan.

And yep, a decent monitor, at least for the house bank, is planned as well, probably the Xantrex LinkLite.

Little by little. . .

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I found some interesting info and am inching ever closer to devising a full plan, with an eye towards not having to expand it for a while, but being able to with ease if I ever do.
Expansion can be an easy thing to do, but it depends on what you have in mind when you say "expand." More on that in a bit.

My brother's wife's sister is the head of Human Resources at the Johnson Controls San Antonio Battery Plant, where they make several of the brands listed in that article, including Sears Die Hard, Autozone Duralast, Interstate and Everstart Maxx Marine batteries at Walmart (Exide also produces Everstart Maxx batteries). It was very interesting to take a complete tour of the facility to see how these batteries are made, and to see how identical batteries are manufactured on the same line using different brand cases and labels.

You mentioned using 12v AA chargers...but I can't do that with LaCrosse or Maha chargers. They'll have to be used via inverter, unless there's some other wizardy I am unaware of.
With Maha chargers, there is a 12-volt vehicle adapter for it, which also works with my JETBeam (Nitecore, Sysmax) i4 Intellicharger. It works great. I have a 12-volt power socket similar to this one wired to the battery busbars (you can wire it directly to the battery terminals, as well, or use one with alligator clips). I have the 12-volt adapter plugged into the socket, and when I need to use the i4 I just plug the power cord into the charger.

The JETBeam IntelliCharger i4 PRO Charger V3 is handy because it automatically identifies and charges Li-ion, Ni-MH and Ni-Cd rechargeable batteries independently, and, amazingly, charges them properly. Rather than carry both a Li-ion and a Ni-MH charger out here with me, I just carry the i4 which does both. I leave the more complicated and time consuming cycling, refresh and battery forming operations for when I'm at home (although Eneloops don't gain anything from battery forming, just open the package and go).

With the La Crosse, the only one I'm aware of that is designed for 12-volt input is the BC-500. But I know people who have successfully used the AccuPower adapter with it. Still, I'd still be hesitant to use my BC-900 with a 12-volt adapter, though.

They too, though, are usually used when I have shore power or am home, at which time I charge a mess of them.
I have with me in the van enough fully charged Eneloops to power all my devices, and enough spares for complete swap outs for everything. Plus a few extra. I use Li-ion 18650, 17650, 16340 (or CR123A primaries) and 14500 batteries to power my flashlights, and I have spares for all of those with me, too. They usually last me long enough so that I don't have to mess with recharging those in the van, although I do tend to throw the 18650s from the lights I use most often on the charger every couple of weeks just to keep them charged up. That way they will recharge in an hour or two instead of 8-12 hours when nearly drained.

So 200 amp hours is a high use scenario, most likely, though it is what I'm using as a guide. I think it wiser to do that than to be underpowered. My power needs will go up and down, to be sure, depending on season, if I have shore power or not (several of the Canadian places I park offer shore power) and if I am vancamping out in the desert or elsewhere.
Yes, it's better to overestimate your needs than to underestimate them. Plus, when you get reliable power from a house bank, the tendency is to discover new things you can use it for. :D

With all that in mind, I'm considering getting two Trojan T6V AGM 200AH and will shop around for what else might fit the bill, as well as compare prices.
That's a good battery, and is probably about the Ah size you need. Do keep in mind that you don't want to discharge them down below 50% very often at all, as doing so greatly reduces the lifespan of the batteries (although not as dramatic as with wet cell batteries). For pricing on that and similar batteries, depending on where you live or where your travels take you, you might might to call Staab Battery. They don't have that battery listed on their Web site, but they are a big distributor for Trojan. They're in St. Louis (Hazelwood on the north side off I-240 very near the Cabela's), and if you can go by and pick up the batteries yourself, they'll give you a substantial discount over anything advertised on their Web site. I live 4 hours away and the discount on four of the J-305E batteries is more than enough for me to justify the 235 miles to go get them. They also carry the Lifeline Batteries, the cream of the crop of AGMs. The Lifeline GPL-4CT is a good one in that Ah and price range (especially if they give a big discount on Lifelines as well).

But, with these, because they are 6v, they have to be wired to make 12v and if I want more capacity in future, I will have to get another pair, correct? IF I end up going with 12v batteries instead and later decide to expand, can just one battery be added to the house bank for more power?
I have four 6-volt batteries. Each pair is connected positive-to-negative, and then the remaining positive and negative terminal becomes the terminal for that battery. Once you wire two 6-volt batteries together, they are no longer 6-volt batteries (3 cells each), they are a single 12-volt battery (6 cells). However, a single 12-volt battery will not last as long as a pair of 6-volt batteries wire in series, even if they have the same Ah capacity. It doesn't seem to make any sense, but it's true.

Now, as for adding more batteries later, that can be problematic. You're adding two brand new batteries to two older batteries. It's not all that different from using mismatched AA batteries, except it's worse with larger wet cell or AGM batteries. The older batteries are weaker and have less capacity, and they will constantly work on the newer, higher capacity batteries, thereby working both the older and the new batteries harder than otherwise. And the weaker batteries will take the entire bank down far sooner than if you'd gone with four batteries to begin with. In fact, if you're looking to add batteries to a battery bank, it's far, far preferable to replace the entire back with the necessary number of batteries than it is to add batteries piecemeal. It's best if all of the batteries in the bank have the same date of manufacture, Ah capacity, and brand. Two batteries with a couple hundred charging cycles suddenly mated with a couple of batteries with no discharge cycles on them is one of the ways that, "batteries don't die, their owners kill them."

If you add additional batteries to the bank, I wouldn't do it more than 6 months after the initial install.

Also, I like the idea of being able to use the house bank to help aid the starting batteries in a jump, if need be, and am unclear what has to be done to be safe for the system with that. Can that be done simply with the isolator (looks like yes with the one mentioned below), or does one need to also add a switch?
You generally won't need to add a separate switch, as most isolators have the option to simply connect a wire from the isolator to the ignition that will combine the batteries as needed. With others a switch is needed, but it's a very simple connection. If you don't have a remote switch hooked up, you can just open the hood and connect a small, short jumper wire from the "remote switch" terminal to the "Auxiliary battery" terminal on the isolator. Another option is to use jumper cables from the house bank to the cranking battery (as both batteries are already grounded, only the positive connection need be made, and you can decrease resistance by connecting both the positive and negative jumper cables to the positive terminals).

I'm leaning towards the Hellroaring Isolator, and like that they have an active tech department to help customers figure a good plan.
That's a really good isolator. it's so good that other than perhaps some questions you might have at installation time, you aren't likely to have a need for the tech support.

And yep, a decent monitor, at least for the house bank, is planned as well, probably the Xantrex LinkLite. Little by little. . .
Couldn't hurt, but you really don't need a battery monitor for the cranking battery. As the battery is getting old, just throw it on a load tester once in a while to see if it's nearing it's end of life.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
All great info, and much appreciated. Thanks, man. You know, my LaCrosse's may have a 12v jack...I've never needed it before, so will have to look.

Having gone without a house bank for so many years, I've pretty well adapted to not having one. And yep, I'm sure that once I do have one, I will find plenty of ways to use it more and more.

Once I decide on everything (might be a while) I think I'll draw up a diagram of what I'm planning and post it here to see if I'm overlooking anything. I recall a post in past saying that though there is a lot of information here in EO on the various parts needed to set up a house bank, there aren't any explicit directions of wiring and what goes where for particular setups.

Thanks again, that's good solid info.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I recall a post in past saying that though there is a lot of information here in EO on the various parts needed to set up a house bank, there aren't any explicit directions of wiring and what goes where for particular setups.

I could post pictures of my setup that has been added to over the years. An extra battery, more lighting, Fantastic Vent, inverter, second radio/cd player, extra power outlets, etc. but it would probably send poor Turtle into cardiac disrhythmia. It scares me knowing I wired it!
cardiac disrhythmia

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I could post pictures of my setup that has been added to over the years. An extra battery, more lighting, Fantastic Vent, inverter, second radio/cd player, extra power outlets, etc. but it would probably send poor Turtle into cardiac disrhythmia. It scares me knowing I wired it!
cardiac disrhythmia

Is there an echo?

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
cardiac disrhythmia

That would be helpful, Moot, I'd love to see it. Though not sure how much it will directly apply to my set-up with two starting batteries in different locations. Like, will all wiring to my house bank come directly from the alternator through the Hellroaring Isolator, which also is then connected to the starting setup at either of those batteries?

If so, then I'll put the isolator and inverter in the van directly above the batteries (one starting batt and two house batts) that are on the frame rail. That will put it directly behind the drivers seat. I'd build a secure box for it.

Though will that interfere with that being the preferred location for a future Espar unit? Can the isolator and wiring (which will go straight down through the floor to the batteries on the rail and up front to the alternator) go in the same box as the Espar, or is that stupidly dangerous for any reason?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That would be helpful, Moot, I'd love to see it. Though not sure how much it will directly apply to my set-up with two starting batteries in different locations.
No, you wouldn't love to see it. It's a mess. I've got two fans, lights, outlets, cd player and other stuff all wired to switches in a panel by my bed. This stuff got added to over the years and is WOFC! I really should completely rewire my van.

I run a Hellroaring BIC-95150 B. This installation is clean and straight forward, unlike the rest of my wiring. I ran an 8 gauge wire directly from the back of the alternator to the isolator and then from the isolator to the batteries. This set doesn't allow me to use my house batteries to replace the starting battery should it fail. E-mail or call Hellroaring for your particular needs with two starting batteries and which isolator is best for you.

Like, will all wiring to my house bank come directly from the alternator through the Hellroaring Isolator, which also is then connected to the starting setup at either of those batteries?

If so, then I'll put the isolator and inverter in the van directly above the batteries (one starting batt and two house batts) that are on the frame rail. That will put it directly behind the drivers seat. I'd build a secure box for it.

Though will that interfere with that being the preferred location for a future Espar unit? Can the isolator and wiring (which will go straight down through the floor to the batteries on the rail and up front to the alternator) go in the same box as the Espar, or is that stupidly dangerous for any reason?[/QUOTE]

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Yes, I would love to see it, if only to also see how a reptile behaves with a slack jaw and irregular heartbeat :cool:

Yep, I definitely plan on being in touch with the Hellroaring folks for their input.

Then when I get mine done and post images, we'll shame you into redoing yours more neatly, for which I'd be more than happy to donate some time some weekend if we can both manage to be in the same place at the same time.

Between the two of us we ought to be able to really a screw things up...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Here's mine. It doesn't show the 12-volt socket (the cigarette lighter-type plug) that I use for the JETBeam battery charger, but it's connected to the vertical positive busbar in the center back and the horizontal negative busbar just to the right of that (the one with the 3 black large cables).

IMG_0631small.jpg

The large busbar to the far left is where all the battery positive connections are made (as well as the Xantrex Battery Monitor connections) and from that the main positive line goes to the big red ON/OFF MASTER SWITCH (there may be times when it's important to be able to quickly and easily kill all 12-volt loads to the battery). From the main switch the positive cable disappears behind the batteries and the reappears to connect to that third stud on the vertical busbar.

The negative cable from the battery disappears behind the batteries in the upper left corner, but connects to the battery monitor brass shunt, and then goes on over to the horizontal negative busbar on the right.

At the center bottom of the frame is the Class-T fuse that is in-line between the isolator/alternator and the positive main busbar. Below the red, yellow and orange cables in the lower right is the inverter.

There are also two black boxes, one upper center that you can see some red writing on, and the other on the far right that you can see a red LED on the top, those are desulfators that help keep the sulfation down to a minimum. They are certainly optional, and not really even necessary at all with AGM batteries, so you can ignore those.

The only 12-volt loads I have connected in the photo are the inverter (which you cannot see the positive connection because it's on the 4th stud on the vertical busbar, hidden down behind the battery bank), the Espar heater, and the Fan-Tastic Fan.

The busbars have those large studs, as well as two #12 screws on each end to accept 12-volt connections. The busbars are used instead of layering many connections to the battery terminals themselves (which is how Moot has his).

Like I said in this now somewhat dated thread, I've seen (and done) messy, and I've seen (and done) neat and tidy, and neat and tidy works way better. Takes some planning, but it's worth it. Messy is hard to work on and even harder to diagnose problems.