Mercedes Engine

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
How are these holding up now that they have been out for a while?
There were issues last year but I am guessing as to whether they are reasonably trouble free now.

Davekc

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Great question, obviously they fixed the problems sure hated to see people in those situations business is hard enough without having majaor engine failures and than to be stuck cause of no available parts. Double bummer.

docmurray

Expert Expediter
Dave,

This is copy of my email to Chrysler today. I know this is long but it contains common complaints from other drivers.

Obviously there are still problems with the Sprinter. Maybe the Ford coming out sometime in 2006 will be the answer. They will be offering the same small diesel to be used in the new vehicle to replace the Expedition.

In checking my email I found this response from Chrysler, what a cop out.

From: customerassist <[email protected]> (Add to address book)
Date: 2005/11/08 Tue PM 09:57:40 GMT
To: Brian Murray <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: DaimlerChrysler Customer Assistance (KMM3347770V86046L0KM)

Dear Brian:

Thank you for your email.

We have received your email regarding your recent service experience.

I regret your dissatisfaction with the service you received and
appreciate the time and effort you took to bring this matter to my
attention.

We realize DaimlerChrysler's reputation depends in part on the quality
of service provided by our dealers. Because DaimlerChrysler dealers are
independently owned businesses, they are responsible for addressing
concerns directly related to their sales and service activities, as well
as their personnel. Although DaimlerChrysler does not have the
authority to resolve concerns related to dealer workmanship, service
scheduling, or repair pricing, you may want to pursue the matter
directly with dealership management for further resolution.

Information received from customers such as yourself enables better
evaluation of dealers' service activities. Your complaint will be
retained in the dealer's file.

Again, thank you for your email.

Sincerely,

Ahmad
Senior Staff Representative
DaimlerChrysler Customer Assistance Center

Hold down bolt broke allowing injector to pop out of head. Dealer ordered injector, refused to overnight at my expense. New injector put in after 5 days in shop. I picked up vehicle, noticed smoke from engine cover and returned to dealer. Tech looked at injector and told me it leaking at base of injector. Dealer claims fuel line bent and forcing injector out of place. New fuel line on indefinite backorder. I feel fuel line too weak to force properly seated injector out of place but I'm only the customer not certified tech. Tech "blows off" my concerns (Mike). I understand weird things happen and diagnosis is sometimes difficult but I think tech is taking the easy way out, after all he's not losing money if vehicle not on road.

I like sprinter but this is fourth strange breakdown causing lost time. One problem caused by tech (Marty) at Kayser Dodge failing to do authorized routine maintenance leading to a clogged fuel filter, finally replaced for first time at 85,000 miles.

In my opinion you have a problem with the short sightedness of your techs and your supply line is sorely inadequate. There is no reason for a routine part (fuel Filter) taking several days to get to a dealer. There is absolutely no excuse for a supply depot refusing to overnight a part when the customer is willing to pay for it

I have recently switched my routine service to Frank Boucher in Janesville. Their tech (Ollie) seems to be trustworthy and my experience so far is better than other dealers. They charge more but the service seems to warrant it. In fact I was trying to get to Janesville when injector broke loose and I had to be towed to local dealer.

In summation:

I do expedited freight and bought the Sprinter despite negative reports on internet (expeditorsonline.com). I love the roominess, gas mileage and handling of vehicle.

To date I've had:
• An EGR valve go out disabling vehicle in a snow storm on the expressway in downtown Detroit, with cargo aboard. This happening 4 days after Kayser assured me there was no problem with my EGR (recall check).
• At 60,000 miles (again with cargo) a wiring harness wore through on the top of the engine. Ollie said it was wire tied too tight to bracket. Again this happened 3 days after Kayser looked at vehicle because I had a starting problem.
• Lack of routine maintenance on dealers part causing several weeks of expense and running problems, try driving 2,000 miles at 60% power because nobody can diagnose problem.
• And now the problem with the injector.

I understand that things happen and am more understanding than most. Several years ago I was a partner in a used car dealership with repair facilities. I know first hand the things that can happen. I also recognize when things aren't as they should be. I've had more problems then should happen to a vehicle being sold as a reliable commercial vehicle. That’s bad enough but many of the techs working on my vehicle have taken a short sighted approach to repairs. IE: I'll try this; if it doesn't work will try something else. It's not an inconvenience to me if vehicle isn't running

The above will enter into my future purchases and recommendations to others.

Remember it’s not the problems that happen but how they are taken care of that influence a customers thoughts.

Brian "DOC" Murray

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If possible, I would like to include the higher HP models as well. I know they are quite different from the Sprinter motor.
Say 260HP to 450HP
You brought up a good point on parts distibution.

Davekc

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So far no problems with the 9xx series in class 7 Sterling. Truck now has about 94000 miles on it. Other than not being class 8 size and inadequate in my opinion it's a good engine. I don't know of any class 7 that's truly adequate though.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Whoa ….Wait there Brian,

Let me get the S*** straight, D-C said that “Because DaimlerChrysler dealers are
independently owned businesses, they are responsible for addressing
concerns directly related to their sales and service activities, as well
as their personnel. Although DaimlerChrysler does not have the
authority to resolve concerns related to dealer workmanship, service
scheduling, or repair pricing, you may want to pursue the matter
directly with dealership management for further resolution.â€

That is not, NOT true. These dealers, especially the so called 5 star dealers have to abide by a quality clause in their contract and D-C does get involved with cases to ensure the work is done to D-C quality standards. It is same as a Mercedes and their quality clause.

I would suggest asking the dealer who worked on your van who is the district manager for D-C and contact them. If the dealer won’t tell you, call D-C customer relations and talk to some one other then the lackey answering the phone.

Remember Chrysler is a FORIEGN car company.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Kw T-300 Cummins pulls anything I have asked of her fast at take offs and climbs those WV hills with no problems.

No doubt I would buy another if in the market.. Opps I did...

Only draw back is I gotta stay behind the wheel to make $.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
we have a 2005 m2 112 with the big 12.8 mercedes @410/1450. it has 95,000 on it now and has been trouble free w/the exception of a faulty engine brake sensor when it had 10,000 on it. other than this it has ran great, has more power and torque than you could ask for and gets 9.3 to 10 mpg all the time loaded or empty. that figure is with idling added in so w/out i would like to think it would be around 10 to 11. we are very pleased, picked this engine when we ordered our truck because of its low operating range and some of the component parts that allow replacement of just certain parts instead of the whole part as in fuel rail this eng. has indv. fuel lines from the pump. the low oper. range i am speaking of is 1100 rpm. the eng. makes all its peak hp/tqe at this rpm and only falls off a little over the entire operating range which adds up to less stress from high rpm usage i think and hope that this one is a keeper

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
We have the 280 HP engine and other than things that I have covered already we have so far had no real big problems. Seems to be a strong performer on the hills, for a class seven.

To rehash the problems.
1. Hunts at idel in cold weather.
a. mostly taken care of by reduceing the rpm to 625
2. injector lines falling off (twice)
3. colder than you know what at idel in cold weather no matter what the rpm is set at.
4. very low oil pressure when started in cold weather. you have to run the rpm way to high after starting to keep the pressure up. and yes the block heater is on and working.

FJK1954

Expert Expediter
MBE 4000-435hp in my 2004 fl-112. love it, no problems at all.lots of power and 9-10mpg. now have 280k miles.:)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
After a couple of issues eary on, it sounds like they are working well for most. It will be interesting to see how far they go prior to a replacement or rebuild.

Great info

Davekc

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
knew I should be quite, fuel lines fell off again.

Can you explain how they are falling off?

Davekc

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
It’s all your fault Dave for asking about the engines in the first place. Here I was just driving along minding my own business when out of the blue you ask the question, knowing that I would be risking engine failure if I answered I waited and waited finally I could not stand it any longer so I answered and BANG here comes the leak .

I have leaking problems at the Transfer tube and lines that feed off of it. After they build the engine they remove the lines so that they can bleed the air from the fuel system and test run the engine. They then ship engine to the truck builder and after installing it in the truck, they repeat the process. These are done under factory conditions so it is done correctly.

The first cold weather that hit with my new truck would idle like a thrashing machine (mechanic’s words not mine ) they also called it hunting. The truck gave a few codes for the problem and the chased the problem by switching injectors, and a host of other things. Finally they figured out that the idle was set to high. They lowered it by 125 rpm to 625 rpm and the problem went away.

Having removed and replaced the line and applying the correct torque 22 ft. lbs. the lines can start to twist and crack. Or if you listen to Detroit Diesel they say the shops are over tightening the line causing a bad seal.

All I know is that it has happened four times and been towed twice. This is the first time that I was out of pocket for the repair bill. The total down time for these problems has been over three weeks, and that just adds salt to the wound. This time they replaced the transfer tube and number five and six lines. Cost close to $400.00.

So Dave I will ask you to please forgive me when I refuse to answer anymore of your trouble causing questions about the POS MB engine.

And don’t forget that I HATE to try and type, and spel lik a but haed.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
More to blame big Dave for..... just noticed that my last post was number 13....Dang I anit talking to yuse guys no more.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Your right....now I am feeling guilty.

I was going to ask if that is common on all the Mercedes 280's but maybe you shouldn't answer that. You might start sending me the bill.

Hopefully it is your last fix on it for the same thing.

Hangin my head Dave

Davekc

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Stoops says that they do five ABF trucks a week. Replace some of the lines.

Don't know if it is them or the design, you may now raise your head Dave

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Thanks, it was getting stiff.
That is alot of them that they are doing.

Davekc