mb 900 egr cooler

lonnieg5962

Active Expediter
does any one know if there is an aftermarket kit for this engine. or an egr eliminator kit available? am on 3rd one. very disapointing!

idtrans

Expert Expediter
does any one know if there is an aftermarket kit for this engine. or an egr eliminator kit available? am on 3rd one. very disapointing!

I talked to a guy a while back in Jackson, ms and he had that engine and he said he bipassed the egr. I have a cat engine so I have no clue how he did it but he said he did it after 2 or 3 egrs he got tired of down time and the expensive repair.

good luck to you

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I don't know which series you have and I'm guessing the 250 hp with the big ugly egr can below the trubo. You can by pass it there are kits available and that's what most operators do.
I have a couple of friends who run the big series 60, and DD515's. What they did was changed out the thermostat's to 212 degree, flushed there water system out and replaced it with Evans liquid cool. $25 bucks a gallon but guaranteed not to boil or freeze. They haven't had any problems yet and it's been about a year. They also claim better mileage and HP. Whether or not it will work on the smaller engine not sure. Maybe a suggestion to call Pittsburgh Power and talk with them, I'm sure they have a way to do it but whether or not you can afford them is another story. I would call them and talk to them (that's free) and also ask them about the thermostat and Evans cooler deal. If your over 5oo thousand I wouldn't spend anymore money on it until I in framed the engine, they aren't the best for the long haul, they are considered a medium duty short range engine. Good luck.