Maybe I should be a Ford guy?

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
Ford has 3 tdci engines in Europe for the transit. They have a 2.2, 2.4 I-4's and a 3.2 I-5. The petrol is 2.3. The tranny's are 5 or 6 spd.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
This makes sense if they don't have diesels now in the euro transits.

Well it is an issue and here is why.

Well the thing is the products for US market is driven by the people in the companies - not the consumer.

Ford for an example could have brought the Diesel Fiesta (60 mpg) here but they used an excuse that they would not sell enough of them to justify the cost while the real reason is that it will ding into their hybrid sales and cause problems for them in the future with any more DoE grants. Ford, like others is looking at how to get as much money out of the government as possible for thing they should be doing on their own.

VW seems to be happy with the sales of their TDI and Mercedes seems to be happy too so I would suspect that because neither Mercedes or VW need to steal money from the taxpayer to fund assembling of a car with off the shelf pieces, they can afford to market a diesel here.

Trucks are a bit different but vans fall into that passenger thing on some levels so vans are not trucks.

I wonder what percent of the E series vans sold in a given year are diesel?

Don't know but it isn't great. I think they offer them mostly for export if at all. The guys over there seem to think they were lucky with the E series van but a few think it is the lack of intelligence on the consumers' part why they cling to the old and not embrace the new.

moose

Veteran Expediter
I hope they going to stick to that 2013 deadline,
and not have any productions set backs,
or ,
they will have to report
'a delay in Transit'...

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a Powerstroke myself with 160k and replaced 2 injectors and need to replace 2 more, considering the mileage it isn't unreasonable.

That's not reasonable at all. 160k isn't very many miles. I've put one injector in my 7.3 in 990k miles. Was it due to bad fuel?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
That's not reasonable at all. 160k isn't very many miles. I've put one injector in my 7.3 in 990k miles. Was it due to bad fuel?

No it wasn't bad fuel, the injectors seem to be a problem on the 6.0. I have 2 more that I need to replace pretty soon as well.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App