Maybe I should be a Ford guy?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Moving some work back to the US and didn't take the bail out money. I would give them a second look.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
They say publicly the joint venture was fine but I wonder if this was the end result of the Powerstroke debacle. The other interesting news in there is the end of the E-series.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Deville

Not a Member
This is such great news. Hopefully this will be the begining of other companies bringing there out sourced jobs back to the good ol' USA.

Monty

Expert Expediter
The E-Series van will be replaced by the Transit full-size van in 2013, which will be built in Kansas City, Mo., Ford said.

Goodbye old friend .....

The King is dead, long live the King!

To see the E series go away is like loosing an old, and trusted friend. I hope the Transit is all that, and a bag of chips too, but I have my doubts.

As I retire, so is the industry it seems .... so many changes .... oh well, you young bucks van deal with it!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The contract, which enjoyed broad support in votes by members of the United Auto Workers across the nation and at the Ohio Assembly Plant in Lorain County, calls for Ford to add 12,000 hourly jobs to its U.S. operations by 2015. The automaker has also promised to invest $16 billion in its U.S. operations. Ohio Assembly will receive $128 million worth of upgrades as it takes over production of Ford F-650 and F-750 medium trucks from a plant in Escobedo, Mexico. That will take place once Ford ends production of the E-Series vans being built there, which could take place as soon as 2014.

But in the news release, Ford also said that it will continue to make certain variants of the E-Series throughout most of the decade. The E-Series van is being replaced by the Transit van, which will be built at the company’s Kansas City Assembly Plant, a move that will see Ford invest around $1 billion there.
Fields said that moving production of medium-size trucks to Ohio Assembly will end its Blue Diamond Truck LLC joint venture between Ford and Navistar International. That joint venture is currently building the trucks in Mexico.

“By moving our commercial vehicle production in-house, we will be able to streamline and strengthen the engineering and manufacturing of our next-generation medium-duty trucks,” Fields said in the release.

Ford will also add motor home chassis to its roster of products at Ohio Assembly, according to the agreement.

Last edited:

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
What was the "Debacle" with the Power Stroke? I have two of them. One has a little over 300,000 & the other 270,000 with no problems at all.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
What was the "Debacle" with the Power Stroke? I have two of them. One has a little over 300,000 & the other 270,000 with no problems at all.

They had several issues on the 6.0, the EGR cooler, head gaskets, turbo, and injectors were the biggest. Ford ended up losing millions of dollars for warranty work and even ended up buying hundreds of trucks back because of all the issues. There were people who died because the ambulances were breaking down and there was one private ambulance fleet that had 21 of 28 ambulances breakdown in one day. Navistar aka International said they weren't responsible because they had actually outsourced the engine from a 3rd company and there was a big court battle. I have a Powerstroke myself with 160k and replaced 2 injectors and need to replace 2 more, considering the mileage it isn't unreasonable. The only other problem with the engine I have had was my issue with the oil pressure regulator. Most people say the 6.0 is a good motor once you replace the weak points.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
They had several issues on the 6.0, the EGR cooler, head gaskets, turbo, and injectors were the biggest. Ford ended up losing millions of dollars for warranty work and even ended up buying hundreds of trucks back because of all the issues. There were people who died because the ambulances were breaking down and there was one private ambulance fleet that had 21 of 28 ambulances breakdown in one day. Navistar aka International said they weren't responsible because they had actually outsourced the engine from a 3rd company and there was a big court battle. I have a Powerstroke myself with 160k and replaced 2 injectors and need to replace 2 more, considering the mileage it isn't unreasonable. The only other problem with the engine I have had was my issue with the oil pressure regulator. Most people say the 6.0 is a good motor once you replace the weak points.

LOL...sorry Paul....That is like saying a sprinter is good once you replace the weak point....the DRIVER!!....;)

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sprinter, now the Nissan NV (hopefully soon to be stretched), and now the Transit. For our niche market these are welcome additions.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
LOL...sorry Paul....That is like saying a sprinter is good once you replace the weak point....the DRIVER!!....;)

There are shops and after market kits that specialize in a preventative head gasket change for the Powerstroke. They use ARP studs, a better set of head gaskets, an EGR cooler delete, and a tuner to minimize how much the EGR works, obviously not CARB compliant. Some of the issues people just blame on Ford are actually much like the Sprinter, poor maintenance by the owner.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I can't see the transit coming here and replacing the sprinter for a long time - they missed their window of opportunity.

By the way, you may not believe this but it may not have a diesel for the NA market until maybe 2015.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
By the way, you may not believe this but it may not have a diesel for the NA market until maybe 2015.

This makes sense if they don't have diesels now in the euro transits.

I wonder what percent of the E series vans sold in a given year are diesel?