inverter help

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
I hooked up my inverter(1200 x power)and it keeps turning off when I start the trk. Ran cables directly to battery, works great other than when I crank over the motor, she beeps and turns off. The above happens with nothing plugged into inverter. This is a fairly new inverter, always does this. ANYONE ELSE WITH THIS PROBLEM OR KNOW A FIX. THANX

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just speculation on my part, but maybe!

The inverter shuts down when it detects low voltage, therefore since you ran it direct to the battery, assuming it is the only battery you have in your truck, when you crank the engine the starter motor is drawing down the battery and the inverter senses this.

I would use an alternate battery with an isolator.

Like I said only an assumption on my part.

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
Diddo on the answer, solution? Get a cappacatior or 2. Bout $99 a pop from a local Best Buy and maybe $30 for them to install them. It will isolate the inverter from the battery and keep the voltage from dropping.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I agree with the voltage drop causing the problem. Check your batteries too. They may be getting weak. Mine inverter is wired in exactly as you have yours and I have not had that problem. Layoutshooter

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yep, it's the low voltage zap causing the inverter to shut off. It might be a weak starter battery, but in some systems an inverter will sense too low of a voltage regardless of the battery's state.

In any case, an auxiliary battery for inverter use is highly recommended. Connected via a battery isolator, the alternator will charge both batteries and you can drain the inverter battery without fear of not being able to start the truck.

Be careful of the isolator you get, however. Make sure it is a true isolator, and not a simple solenoid switch (a continuous duty starter solenoid). A battery isolator will totally isolate both batteries from each other at all times, with the only common "connection" between them being the alternator.

A solenoid switch works by "isolating" the batteries from each other, but only when the ignition key it turned OFF. When the key is turned ON, either to start the truck or while the truck is running, both batteries are connected, and all things electric will draw from both batteries, as well as both batteries will be charged by the alternator. But as long as the key is turned OFF you can drain your inverter battery and all is right with the world, right? Not really.

The problem comes when you go to start the truck, and you turn the key. The drained battery and the good starter battery are instantly connected, and the starter battery takes a huge zap from the drained battery in desperate need of power. The discharged battery will always drain power from the charged battery. It's usually not enough of a hit to prevent the truck from starting, but it will be with a weak starter battery. And, repeated zaps like that will lessen the life of the starter battery. It can turn a 5 year battery into a 2 or 3 year battery, for example. And the sudden drain can damage batteries, heat up wires and connections, even to the point of causing a fire.

So while a solenoid switch will work, the best bet, by far, is a true isolator. You also want one that uses diodes to let each battery (or battery bank) determine how much power it needs from the shared alternator.

Best isolators I know of are the "Sure Power" line of battery isolators. They are the most common, and can be found at RV dealers, auto parts places like NAPA, and the JC Whitney catalog. They come in several amp ratings. Easy to install yourself, or it's a half hour deal to have a service technician install it (an hour if you have a Bosch alternator, probably).

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Check out www.hellroaring.com for a battery isolator. They make several models for different applications. You can E-mail them with questions and usually get a reply the same day.

I bought an isolator for my van a few years ago and have had no problems. I explained my set-up and intended use. They recommended the proper model and walked me through the installation. They are a small company located in Montana. Very nice people, great product but not cheap.

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
VAN OWNER; I won't disagree with isolater suggestion or types, but I was told over 10 years ago not buy the isolators with the circuit boards etc as they cost much more than the old style which you can still purchase in any RV shop. Was told this by the owner of a marina who rents out large boats in the Miami area and he said that is what he uses. So I tried it on my first chevy van, had no problems, when I bought my new one I just purchased one for it and same story, no problems. So I guess it is ones choice and how much you want to spend on it. I run my inverter off of two on board batteries in the back mounted in a battery holder which I had made.The isolator which I have is similiar to a solenoid, looks about the same but has a couple of more connection points.