Honeywell generators

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Got a brand new generator never started. Full of oil and fuel. Fuel is on, run switch on,choke on. Can pull and pull will not start. Can smell gas so its getting fuel. New to generators am I doing something wrong ? Please help

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Need 3 things to run an engine....spark....fuel....compression...you are missing at least 1 of those....my guess sounds flooded...but I would turn the choke off pull it a few times air it out....if no luck.....trade it in for Honda....

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

Last edited:

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I hate to ask.. You turned the kill switch off right?

Does it have spark? Pull the plug out. is it soaked? If so, dry it off, ground it to something and pull it over. Does it spark? No? does it have a low oil switch? Is the oil full?

If it's new, I'd be calling their 800 number. Once you put gas/oil in them you normally can not return them to the place of purchase.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
I hate to ask.. You turned the kill switch off right?

Does it have spark? Pull the plug out. is it soaked? If so, dry it off, ground it to something and pull it over. Does it spark? No? does it have a low oil switch? Is the oil full?

If it's new, I'd be calling their 800 number. Once you put gas/oil in them you normally can not return them to the place of purchase.

Kill switch ? If you mean the off and on switch than its set to on. I will pull the plug tomorrow if I get time to see if its getting spark I would imagine its not but who knows. It does have a low oil switch I remember reading and yep full of oil.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Kill switch ? If you mean the off and on switch than its set to on. I will pull the plug tomorrow if I get time to see if its getting spark I would imagine its not but who knows. It does have a low oil switch I remember reading and yep full of oil.

Could be the oil level switch is stuck in the low position (even though you filled it with oil) how heavy is it? Shake it, you might knock it loose. Or strap it in the back and find a good washboard gravel road ;)

If there is a plug on the oil switch that you can unplug unplug it and see if it starts. You may need to place a jumper wire in place. Do not cut anything, we want to make sure it's still under warranty when you get to their service center if you end up having to take it there.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
You said it was new right? Don't mess with it, take it back and make sure the next one runs before you pay., Just an idea.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Will they take it back even though its had fluids in it and its got a few scratches from bumping around in the back. More than likely gonna take it to a small engine repair shop to see what's wrong with it

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Will they take it back even though its had fluids in it and its got a few scratches from bumping around in the back. More than likely gonna take it to a small engine repair shop to see what's wrong with it

probably not.. once there is gas in it your likely stuck with it..

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I doubt Costco will take it back, but you can inquirer, thats where it came from. If you need the info, call Dan. But you are right , a small engine shop is probably your best best...TJ not running it ever and it being bounced around probsably didn't do it any good...one other thing..do not leave gas in that carb for anymore then a week or so...the and try not to get anything more then 10% ethanol..the 15% and high gums up in the carb and it won't start at all, even with new fresh gas..ask me how i know...the guy at the small engine place probably has a sign on the wall telling customers to drain unuse gas from the gas tank on any small engine as the manufacturers will not cover warranty repairs with old gas related issues...once you get it running, when you shut it down, close the gas shut off and let it run itself out of gas....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I doubt Costco will take it back, but you can inquirer, thats where it came from.
Costco will take anything back for a full refund or exchange within the first year. Even if you are returning it because the color clashes with your van.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Costco will take anything back for a full refund or exchange within the first year. Even if you are returning it because the color clashes with your van.

I'll have to remember that.. Menards WON'T.. They don't care if the rod is hanging out of the engine since it blew during the first snow storm (yes.. I put oil in it) made me wait with 11" of snow in my drive way 2 weeks for the 'repair' company to replace the engine.

I no longer buy gas powered items at menards.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter

I am not sure if it is a yr old or not, i am thinking it might but it isnt' its close. But if what Moot said is the case, Chris, talk to Dan and if he has the sales slip, get it and return it, but if he doesn't, get with me as it was bought on my Costco account and i think i can have them run a report and get the sales info for you....It is worth a shot....

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I ran gas powered generators and air compressors in my construction business for 23 years.
Make sure the plug wire is connected. It may snap into place.
Here is my formula for starting them when they have been sitting a while. 2 pulls full choke, 1 pull half choke and then as many as necessary to get it to start. (Max 10)
Put Sta-bil in the fuel if you are not going to be using it for a week or more. Run it for about 5 minutes with the Sta-bil in it then shut off the fuel supply and let it run out of gas.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Costco has a Lifetime warranty on most items you buy at a Costco. learn the Costco rules. We just took back one of the last lifetime warranty tv's. I have taken back things that are over 6 years old to Costco.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here is Costco's return policy

Membership: We will refund your membership fee in full at any time if you are dissatisfied.

Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. The following must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund: televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, touch screen tablets, MP3 players and cellular phones.

How to Return: For an immediate refund (including shipping and handling), simply return your purchase at any one of our Costco warehouses worldwide. If you are unable to return your order at one of our warehouses, please email customer service or call our customer service center at 1-800-955-2292 for assistance. To expedite the processing of your return, please reference your order number.

If you request an item be picked up for return, the item must be packaged and available for pick up in the same manner as it was delivered.
If your order was delivered "curb side", it will need to be available for curb side pick up.
If the item arrived to you in a box, it will need to be in a box at the time of pick up.

Read more additional returns information.

Electronics trade in: Through our Electronics Trade In Program, powered by Gazelle, you can receive a Costco Cash Card for the current value of your used electronics. Visit Costco.gazelle.com to find the value of your electronics from computers to cell phones, cameras and more, then ship in your items (shipping is free), we will send you a Costco Cash Card for the total value of your used electronics.