hi

henboy1

Expert Expediter
LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-05 AT 10:09 AM (EDT) by X1_SRH (moderator)

I have a CDL class A with hazmat.
I recently bought a 99 e350 and I am looking for a company who hires to run south east since I want to be back in atlanta(home)4 days out of the week.
I just signed up with DTH and they pay 90cpm and 12% fuel surcharge doing regional.Does anyone know if there are companies out there like that?

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
It looks like you would have been better off being a company driver . I know companies in that area that have CDL-A drivers home at least every other night . Eastern Seaboard Packaging delivers boxes to movers and U-Haul in GA , TN , AL , and MS . Peachtree Truck and Trailer Repair in Atlanta and Suwanee has local drivers that just pick up and deliver trucks and trailers , never leaving GA . I know their drivers take home considerably more than what you'll clear . Your van is a little older than the top companies wil accept . Why didn't you find work then buy the van ?

henboy1

Expert Expediter
Trust me I did all that

I hope you are ready for this story.
I left IT after a lay off and about 15 interviews and not finding an IT position as a QA tester(1yr).I then used the WIA program to acquire my CDL with hazmat at a truck driving school.I graduated in November but as usual no one will hire me local coming out of truck driving school other than those over the road guys.I definitely did not want to go over the road for 2 or 3 weeks at a time.The only people that hired me after 6 months of getting my licence was a food distribution company through a contract agency making 10 bucks an hr.Ouch!
I worked there slinging dough and carrying heavy stuff to pizza restaurants.Talk about hardwork and delivering 10,000ibs of frozen stuff in either a class b truck or 35 foot van.I then quit that job after 4 months and still could not find a local CDL job that will take me with even a yr experience.I then found a cheap cargo van on ebay which I jumped on to do rush delivery.My first rush or hot shot delivery was with Dynamex in atlanta.Another ([font color="red"]edited by admin[/font])company which was giving me lab stats and people's checks to deliver in my extended cargo van.I have also come to realise that to make decent money you have to either find a dedicated route delivery or go interstate.I quit Dynamex last week and signed on with DTH(south east regional).I hope to try them out and see, but my question as a newbie is that will these people get me a load at my destination and not have to wait a whole day or two in a hotel when I have to dish out the hotel/motel fee?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
some advice and my IT story

Hey, IT? QA in IT? WOW

Sorry for the long response. I hope this helps you but you may already know some of this so please don't be insulted.

First as one IT professional to another, slow down. Unless you worked in the Pharma industry, you were most likely working at a fast pace and not used to some of this. I have been struggling with the fact that I have to (not maybe) sit somewhere waiting for a load for a day or two. I also am struggling with the salary issue going for IT to transportation but look at things differently because of my business background and know it will get better for me and my situation. If you know anything about disaster recovery work, you may know how fast paced that is and how much pressure people are under to get things rolling again, this work is something like that but long stretches in between.

As for your rates and companies question in your first post, reality is that you have to get out and talk to these companies and recruiters to really get a feeling what is going on with expediting. Everyone’s expectations are different as is everyone’s situation and unlike IT, there are a lot of variables that you will encounter that are customer related, like getting loads. This is a service industry that actually is not like any other service industry, you go when you go. Not unlike IT there are standards and the bigger picture that needs to be taken in consideration to understand how you fit in. I talked to a lot of companies just to get an idea what the rates are and how much I should expect to drive before I decided on what type of truck I was going to drive. I opt for a Cargo Van.

To answer your question in your last post “but my question as a newbie is that will these people get me a load at my destination and not have to wait a whole day or two in a hotel when I have to dish out the hotel/motel fee?” Honestly I don’t know, as I said it all depends on the customers and their needs. Expect to sit but listen to the company dispatchers if they want you to move, move where they tell you. Remember it is not like IT, your truck makes everyone money when it is moving, not sitting. In IT you can plan different projects around work schedules and make money while doing not much of anything. Also get into the mind set that you need to look at monthly intake not daily or weekly. Once I realized that it is what I drive in the month that matters, I relaxed a lot. As for waiting here is what happen last week. I sat less than a day from my first run to my next run on every run but now I am sitting at home and sitting for three days but going back out tomorrow. I slept in my van when I was away from home, which was a pain but I wasn’t going to spring $80 for a bed that was not comfortable as my air mattress but that’s me.

Also on a personal note; been there done that with the IT job. I was laid off in July of 2003 from the BIGGEST Pharma company in the world. Actually 3500 of us in it were laid off at that time. Promised training from both the company and the state, grants to start our own business and a whole bunch more stuff that were all lies. My governor shook my hand and told me that there will be a grant and training waiting for me after I was terminated, which was July 15. But she failed to mention that I was to apply for it when I was shaking her hand. We were all told that we were not allowed to apply for these grants while we were employees or we lose everything, including our 401 Ks. Well the grants were awarded on … July 15, the day we were terminated and went to some people who were not being laid off. Thanks Grandholm.

As for a job, I wasn’t only competing with my former colleagues but also college kids coming out of school working for nothing and also had to deal with people from India and Pakistan who live in Canada and came here to work for 50% of my former wage. I went to 35 interviews, applied for over (I am not making this up, I kept track) 1800 jobs and had been rejected by some of the fast food companies because I was a ‘tweener’. The worst interview was with Ford Motor Company, which included a much hated former colleague of mine. Boy talk about being beaten up.

I had 9 years of experience in IT for the medical and financial industry, wrote validation plans, QA plans, sat on steering committees, took part on comment committees for government projects like HIPAA and 21 CFR part 11, wrote disaster recovery plans (two of which were used on 9/11), wrote books on training IT and business personal for disaster recovery and server infrastructure planning, saved companies millions because of my server consolidation plans and have several awards and a lot of Vendor certifications to boot. All of this got me... no where. Two years... no job except crappy consulting work and a horrible help desk job at per call rates. I did make some money from ecommerce work but no where enough to pay the bills. I completely understand your frustrations and hope this all helps.

Good luck

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
RE: some advice and my IT story

Greg:

You have posted an impressive CV and I'm sure that many of the EO members join me in wishing you well in returning to your field of expertise and choice. I trust that this expediting thing will provide you with a bit of financial success on your road back to the IT world. Expediting is not as mentally stimulating but the tangible and intangible rewards appeal to many of us who, like you, have learned to roll with the punches and look at the long term benefits rather than the daily or weekly results.

Terry

greg334

Veteran Expediter

>Greg:
>
>You have posted an impressive CV and I'm sure that many of
>the EO members join me in wishing you well in returning to
>your field of expertise and choice. I trust that this
>expediting thing will provide you with a bit of financial
>success on your road back to the IT world. Expediting is
>not as mentally stimulating but the tangible and intangible
>rewards appeal to many of us who, like you, have learned to
>roll with the punches and look at the long term benefits
>rather than the daily or weekly results.
>
>Terry

Thank you very much, but ohhhh I am not going to return to the IT field anytime soon, if at all. I may have misled everyone by leaving that part out, sorry. I do appreciate your thoughts though.

Even with my portfolio of skills, I am still far behind many people who are in front of me for a job and times are a changing in the IT world. I won’t bore people with the issues facing the US IT market, but I have to say that it was nice when it lasted.

Being completely honest, the only thing I miss is the prestige of being part of a company that gave all kinds of resources at my fingertips to do all kinds of amazing things but outside of that I enjoy what I am doing and learning everyday something new.

I know that Expediting sometimes is not mentally stimulating but from my point of view it is about performance, customer care and problem solving which provides stimulation and rewards.

Again thanks for the note.

henboy1

Expert Expediter

Very interesting and well written.
The IT field is a very serious situation.I have not been in IT for the past year and a half.I keep getting recruiters call me almost everyday I renew my monster resume but then again I never hear from them after they submit me.ALL THE JOBS ARE GOING OVERSEES or over populated.
I still have my 99 e350 sitting out there waiting to make money after I quit Dynamex.
DTH requested that I get a 1 million insurance (liability) which my insurance compnay cannot provide and the max they can provide is 500k liability.The DTH owner/CEO claims he will see what he can do the following week but still no phone call after I called him twice.I would also hate to change insurance compnaies just to get this coverage.I found no insurance company cheaper than this company and already they gave me a quote at $950 per 6 months with the 500k liability.My iusse is that would it be worth it when I do not know how often DTH would dispatch me at my destinations?
I also went to an atlanta local delivery company called BEAVEX.I argued with the recruiter who offered me an 18 stop route for $100 bucks a day.The total distance is 162 miles and that will equate to around 30-35 bucks a day in fuel.That was BS and I know they offered my buddy who we both quit Dynamex at 96 bucks for an 8 stop route.I have realised that these expediting companies are like IT recruiters and they will get you for the lowest if you close your eyes.
Then again I am home trying to make more phone calls and checking out http://www.jobsinlogistics.com/cgi-local/search.cgi?action=ViewJobDetails&TypeOfUser=browse&JobIndNum=136476&RecNum=6201&Usr=&Pswd=&from=link&term=search.yahoo.com&SessID=7229-750350-28013&SD=DrOO%2B^%2BGA%2B^^^TOJAll%2B^Any^^^Yes^&SP=1&JRPP=25