Ham Radio license and expediting

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am just wondering;

how many forum members have their ham radio license?

And

how many forum members want to get a ham radio license?

I read a recent post about CB radio and someone mentioned ham radio license instead of using ‘import’ CB radios. This got me to thinking.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm going to take the technician test as soon as I get a chance to. Eventually I'll learn code and take the general test as well so I can use the HF bands.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Way back when, I used to run a Morse code military net from the A9USA MARS (Military Affiliate Radio System) station in Ft. Sheridan, IL. Have always been interested in getting back on the air but never acted on it. The code never leaves you once you've leanred it. I wonder what has changed in ham operations since computers, cell phones, GPS and more have come out? If you know of truckers doing amateur radio work or play, I'd love to hear more.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Took and passed element 2 this evening so in a few days I'll be official.

Leo
truck 4958

rollingstock

Expert Expediter
DE:KD4BTB Tech

I run 2 meter and 70 cent. (440MHZ) I like FM very much and enjoy side band. The difference between amateur and CB is...well, like night and day.

Bob:7

Loose_Cannon47

Expert Expediter
I used to do a little 2 meter and 220 mhz FM out of southeast FL..but my favorite was 6 meter band when the skip was running...:D

Loose

rollingstock

Expert Expediter
Yes 6 meters is great when the band is open. 6 propagates similar to 10 meters, all or nothing. I really never got a chance to tx on 220. As usual I and my fellow hams let 220 get taken from us. We are our own worst enemy. The Gov. allowed us to have great bands and we don't utilize it. I am preaching to myself. I have not been on any band for several weeks and have not been active for several years.

DE
Bob

Loose_Cannon47

Expert Expediter
Yea, I liked the ultra-hi-freq stuff..always wanted to try the quarter meter (as I recall) band...1140 mhz or somewhere around there...pretty much direct line-of-sight at the lower end of the radar band...an associate of mine is pretty active in UHF ...maybe I'll get back there some day...

Loose

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Wow thanks for all the replies.

Oh forgot to give you my call, KC8YHN

LDB congrats on passing, send me your call so I can add it to my mental note book.

Loose_Cannon47 you should pick it up again, the more Hams out there the better life would be.

ATeam the tests aren’t difficult and passing the code test would be a snap if you are ex-military. My father in the late 50’s was attached to NATO as a troubleshooter for the message centers in Europe and had to learn high speed Morse. He won’t admit to it, but he still can copy code.

Amateur radio is combining all the new kinds of communications, internet linking between repeaters to ARPS (GPS and weather reporting). There are even a few servers on the internet that you log onto and communicate through the internet via Morse like ham radio. There is really a lot to list.

Rollingstock 2m and 440, not bad. 220 is going away, no doubt and that is a problem for all of us. I won’t get on my soup box about it here.

I hear there is a lot of action on 440 in my area (Detroit) but I only have 2m all mode and a 6m AM rig setup right now. I haven’t heard much in the 1.2Ghz band, but I did run across a few microwave (10Ghz and 23 Ghz) people a few weeks ago. That line of sight stuff looks like it would be fun. The 6m is only setup for nostalgia next to my Drakes, it looks at home there.

I am a tech right now, no time to practice code to move up to a general. I was a collector for a long time (still am for that matter), going on 35 years. I was the guy who would buy the tube type “junk” at the swaps for $10 or $20 or stop on the side of the road to pick up a radio (that’s how I got not one but two very rare Johnson desk KWs). The funny thing is that no one appreciated quality equipment at that time, everyone wanted small cheap radios. Here is one example; I was working next to Citiphone (they made amateur radios, CBs and garage door openers) when one of the managers decided to throw out their tube radios and I heard about it. I drove away with “new in the box” early CBs and ham equipment, in all almost 50 radios and a lot of parts. He had no problem throwing them out as I had no problem loading them up, LOL.

The ham friends I made while collecting were old school hams, many were licensed when FDR was in office. They tried to help me get my ticket, but I was having too much fun collecting and doing other things. I learned a lot from all of them and I had no problems passing the test because of them.

So since I was unemployed a while ago, I made up my mind to get my ticket to rekindle the radio bug. My wife still doesn’t understand the fascination, but she is entertained with the people on the repeater I listen to. I don’t talk much, antenna problems stop me from doing a lot right now, but I will get that fixed soon.

When I went to study for my test, I was upset at the libraries I went to I found no study materials or very out of date stuff, like from 1972. I ended up buying the books and donating them after I passed the test. I just visited that library last night and looked for the books, they weren’t there. I was told that it was sold at the book sale and got the library a whole dollar each. But before I went there, I was disgusted to see ten copies of Michael Moore’s book on the shelf but nothing about amateur radio. So I have decided to give back to amateur radio and get more involved, so I am starting a project that will put up to date books about amateur radio in libraries and schools.

I don’t know if I am allowed to post any info about that project here, so I won’t to play it safe.

Like to hear more from everyone

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just got my call sign, KE5FJG. Now I are official. :9

Leo
truck 4958
KE5FJG

rollingstock

Expert Expediter
Contgrats!

I think you will enjoy 440, especially in the larger metro areas. There are many repeaters on 440. I like 2M sideband and enjoy working sats on 440/2m. You will need an all mode 440 to access the sat uplink. It is all fun though.

220 is a crime for us and we brought it on ourselves. I envision HF going too. It is an old requirement to have everyone demonstrate code. Any time the issue of doing away with the code requirement surfaces, folks young and old seem to object. I think code is great but I would not mind seeing the requirement go away. Lots more folks would come on board. JMHO.

Bob:)

Loose_Cannon47

Expert Expediter
With technology available today, the code requirement is really unnecessary...I don't think the old-timers will every be willing to give it up, though...kind of like 'I walked 27 miles to school, each way, through a blinding snow storm, uphill both ways, so quit complaining'...I didn't know 220 was going away, but I'm not surprised...with all the demand for "paid for" bandwidth by the new services, it's no wonder that the ham bands are being taken over...

Loose

rollingstock

Expert Expediter
Sorry, not all 220 is gone. Just the good portion of the band from .100 to .500. UPS bought the entire spectrum for thier package tracking. I really saw it coming and I must say that I did nothing but watch. I still don't DX as much as I should. I guess the 1.2GHZ band is slowly being chipped away by WIFI, cell, blackberrys and the like.

Bob