Good deal on a 2012 Chevy cube DRW 10,000 GVW

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why do I think that if this truck was yeller, instead of summit white you would not have posted this link because you would be the proud owner!;)

MSinger

Expert Expediter
Wow, sarcasm sure is prevalent on this thread. You're right.....go ahead and spend 45K on a 3 skid Sprinter. WTH was I thinking??????? Rev was getting 16/17 mpg on his DRW 10k cube but this one is only gonna get 11??? Hmmm

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Wow, sarcasm sure is prevalent on this thread. You're right.....go ahead and spend 45K on a 3 skid Sprinter. WTH was I thinking??????? Rev was getting 16/17 mpg on his DRW 10k cube but this one is only gonna get 11??? Hmmm

I can put you in touch with guys all over that have the drw 12 cube with the "areo" box 6.0 and 4.8 with the 6 spd trans and 342 axles that are gettin 11 to 12......just saying....me with the Cargo Max...6.0 4spd 410 if i drive no faster then 63 with good tail wind will get 14, but i don't drive that way often so i avg 1n the 11.7-13 13 being the high end of the avg,,,that van with the flat box front will be lucky to get 11-12.....again, just saying.....oh and the revs last van had the "aero" box and the lower body extentions to keep the air from under it....and it was a srw, not a dual rear wheel...abd the box was the "narrow body line box not the wide widy that is approx 10 inches wider then the cab in each side.....kinda like comparing apples and oranges

Last edited:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

If it fits, wear it and don't worry about what everyone else does. If you want to log, sleep on the seat and get the same freight as a van do it and the heck with everyone else. :rolleyes:

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Not a bad price for that thing....BUT...you could also grab a 4-5 year old Ex-Budget truck exactly like that with around 100K miles on it for around $20K less and still get another 200-300K miles out of it easily. (I've seen some '04's out there with 300K miles on 'em)

I wouldn't mind having one of these with the Duramax under the hood (NO, you cannot get a Duramax/Allison package with these things!! We're not going to have that disagreement again! :) ), have it stretched 48ins, and put a mid-roof 48in sleeper on it. These things are rated at 16K. There's about 7-8K sitting on the ground as it is. Let's add another 1K with sleeper and all. That would leave you with 5-6K weight carrying capacity, as well as room for 6 skids. It would make a nice little Baby "D" unit, even if you had to log.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Not a bad price for that thing....BUT...you could also grab a 4-5 year old Ex-Budget truck exactly like that with around 100K miles on it for around $20K less and still get another 200-300K miles out of it easily. (I've seen some '04's out there with 300K miles on 'em)

I wouldn't mind having one of these with the Duramax under the hood (NO, you cannot get a Duramax/Allison package with these things!! We're not going to have that disagreement again! :) ), have it stretched 48ins, and put a mid-roof 48in sleeper on it. These things are rated at 16K. There's about 7-8K sitting on the ground as it is. Let's add another 1K with sleeper and all. That would leave you with 5-6K weight carrying capacity, as well as room for 6 skids. It would make a nice little Baby "D" unit, even if you had to log.

except for that whole dock high thing....

MSinger

Expert Expediter
I can put you in touch with guys all over that have the drw 12 cube with the "areo" box 6.0 and 4.8 with the 6 spd trans and 342 axles that are gettin 11 to 12......just saying....me with the Cargo Max...6.0 4spd 410 if i drive no faster then 63 with good tail wind will get 14, but i don't drive that way often so i avg 1n the 11.7-13 13 being the high end of the avg,,,that van with the flat box front will be lucky to get 11-12.....again, just saying.....oh and the revs last van had the "aero" box and the lower body extentions to keep the air from under it....and it was a srw, not a dual rear wheel...abd the box was the "narrow body line box not the wide widy that is approx 10 inches wider then the cab in each side.....kinda like comparing apples and oranges

Well actually I was referring to Rev's first cube truck that was in-deed a DRW. The aerobox will help but probably not 6mpg worth. My 2002 Penske GMC with the old 5.7/ 4 speed auto got 11.5 to 12.5 so I know these newer ones will do better than that.

MSinger

Expert Expediter

I agree but the problem is finding a Budget truck with the 10,000 GVWR. They were almost always the 12,000# models. Penske had 10,000# models prior to the 2008 model year but all of their new ones are 12,300 GVWR. If I was gonna log I would buy a D unit.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Log if you want to but I wasn't planning on it.....hence the 10,000 GVWR. Law states "OVER 10,000 lbs".

The picture of the vehicle you showed looked to be a 12,500 GVW. It's hard to find a dual wheeled box truck in the 10K category.