Getting Started

roadweazel

Expert Expediter
My name is Jason, I'm looking to get into the over the road. I am no stranger to the driving industry(well making deliveries and driving long hours). I worked for a Courier company in Cincinnati, most was in-town drops but I went out of town a lot, and I loved staying out (the longer the run the happier I was). My bosses hated that I could drive for so long. They also hated the fact I had a personal life and didn't want to cancel my plans for every run they had. Sometimes I canceled Plans that I reschueled from that last time I worked till late late night. One time I drove 22 hours slept 2 and then drove home 12(i wasnt forced to i just did). I went to Myrtle Beach on a Saturday dorve 12 hours made the drop and drove back after sleeping 2 hours, they couldn't understand why I wouldn't spend the day and have fun. Now I just have to find a O/O to drive for. I love to Drive and from the post I read I'm SCARED to drive for anyone but myself I don't want to be USED I like to drive I want to make money how is this possible.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well I sure hope I am not sharing any highways with you if thats your normal driving routine. If you wind up with one of the major expediting players you will be limited as too the hours you can drive,unless you are in a van. Sometimes those pesky HOS rules are a pain but they help to keep the highways safer.

If you come to to the Detroit show I would not brag about the hours you put in behind the wheel without sleep. This could actually work against you as it shows a somewhat irresponsible individual.I am not trying to preach safety but it is an issue on the roads. Good luck

ATeam

Retired Expediter
RichM is right. Driving more hours than HOS allows is not an asset in expediting, it is a liability. Even if you are in a cargo van where logging is not required, few people in the expediting industry will respect you for exceeding HOS. Most will either condemn that activity to your face, shake their head and walk away, or talk negatively behind your back after they have decided to have nothing more to do with you.

On a more positive note, if you really do enjoy long runs (miles, not hours), and the independence self-employment can bring, expediting may be just the thing for you. Read more of the forums and carrier profiles and driver lifestyle pieces here on the EO. Expediting is a great business for those that take it seriously and embrace the requirements of the trade.

roadweazel

Expert Expediter
Now i do know that driving a Cargo van for those kind of hours is not the best thing in the world, but were the rarest of runs.(HOS is there a limit on Van's under 10,000lbs)If no Limits that does not mean to me Do it all the time, but if i was breaking the law i would love to know so i can 1 act better/smarter in the future. The Company never told me that it was againt the law. Thank you.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
The HOS do not apply to non-hazmat toting vehicles with a GVWR of less than 10,001 pounds.

Most of us, and our carriers, comply with the spirit of the Hours of Service regulations and limit cargo van driving to about 700 miles between rest periods. When necessary, rest periods are built into delivery times if a team is not available.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
It's not against the law for a van to drive that much, just irresponsible. No reason to drive more than 14 hours or so in a van. I've heard several examples of tractors going non-stop cross-country, and it's crazy! I don't see much point in being the richest man in the graveyard.

roadweazel

Expert Expediter
The Company I worked for told me once they didn't want there vans running long hours but then the day after that they give me another Run. So what I have learned in this post is that they had NO respect for me at all. I love driving, every job I had before I started driving I could never say "I like what I do!" Now all I can hope is that I have not shoot myself in the foot. So should I find a gas station clerk job and look at the Free-way?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
No forget abut the gas station job. you can get into expediting and enjoy your travels plus make a few bucks. We all somewhat jumped on you because we all are on the highways and see accidents and crazy drivers every day.

Come up to the Detroit Expo( do the speed limit) and see if this industry is for you.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
There were a few companies (and still are in TTs) that expected you to cheat your logs or run 2 logs to get the freight delivered. The same companies don"t know how it could have happened if you get caught. So anyway, a few of us are a little sensitive when we see someone willingly running consistantly over on hours. The practice is unsafe and makes it more difficult for those of us who wish to run leagal. But it's not unusual to someone new to think it's common practice. There are still short sighted or just plain dishonest companies out there. Come to the show and talk to the drivers and the companies. It's the fastest way to get an education in this business

Pappy

Expert Expediter
Man---- I got mixed emotions too! I started a new job 3 weeks ago and mave'nt done anything major yet. Last Monday at approx3 pm I was offered a load from SC to Chicago with a 6:30 am delivery time then a final stop in Wis. at 3;00pm. My dispatcher knew that i am a solo driver but asked me if I could handle the load. I said "Not Legally". anyway another driver took the trip. AND--- 7days later--- WELL that was the last dispatch I've been offered. I've been told that things are very slow right now. Personally, I think I got S____! listed. Only a couple of weeks ago I listened to a spill about logging no more than 57 mph and logs and etc. That changed after orientation when i was turned over to dispatch for assignments. I drive by the rules. WHY? Heres you a horror story. A van carrying 6 passengers crossed a median--hit a T/T head on. 6 people died there.Someone(a relative of one of the van passengers) got an attorney,sued the trucking company and the dtruck driver personally for wrongful death. Keep in mind that the truck driver was not charged by authorities and the accident was also ruled non chargable by his company. Numerous records were subpeonad that had anything to do with the truck and the driver for the past 90 days. Times on fuel tickets were compared to entrys on the drivers daily log and on and on and on. And thats not all. The drivers personal checking (debit card account) was even looked at to compare times and locations of purchases to his drivers daily log. HAD any inconsistiencies been found, it could have been said that that particular truck and driver was not supposed to have been there at the time of that accident. That advice came straight from the company and the drivers attorney.THINK SAM IS"NT KEEPING AN EYE ON YOU? Is a dollar or a load of freight worth prison time or losing your home, family and everything else over? The choice is yours!

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
That is so true. I know from experience.
Even if you are not at fault you will be sued,and you better be legal because they will go to any lengths to make you have some responsibility for the accident.
I hope no one ever has to go through our court system, it is slow and time consuming.
Van owners just because you do not have to follow HOS rules. I strongly advise you to do so.

elton10

Expert Expediter
Im confused.I knew that vans didnt have to log driving time but I thought they were still limited to a 14hrs on duty(or 14 hrs driving time as a practical matter)?

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The rule only applies to vehicles over 10,001 lbs. or you carry more than 15 passengers,or you are transporting hazardous materials that are placardable.

elton10

Expert Expediter
OK.. The only stuff I've ever run on my "C" CDL has been Placarded explosives. So under 10,000 lbs has no HOS rules?

b3player

Expert Expediter
I hired on with a local co. here in Wi. It often happened that as a second shift local driver, I would run a co. cargo van from 3pm-midnight and then start logging "D" unit time for my 11/14.
Often I was exhausted driving in AM rush hour after 15 or so hour shifts. Sometimes it worked the other way around, "D" unit first then cargo van. It's a common co. practice. Some drivers work first shift "D" units and then get into their own vans and run. The record shift for a company van driver was 32 hours straight running.
The last straw came for me when they dispatched me in a "D" unit at midnight after driving a van all second shift. Start time: 3pm. I was told not to scale the truck(take the backroads). The truck was so heavy when I let out the clutch as usual in second gear, it just died. It would barely stop. Thank God it was late at night. As frosting on the cake a second pick-up was added at Chicago's Midway. But I was happy driving down the 294 after dropping that load. Home at 8:00 AM.
I quit after 90 days even though I'd just started getting health insurance which ain't no good if you dead!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's the kind of thing that needs to be reported and the company fined huge fines at the very least or put out of business. There's no excuse for endangering lives that way. If enough bad companies like that one were put out of business the good ones would never be without work and could command higher rates to better compensate their drivers. Every driver working for a company like that should be documenting these things and when they leave turn it over to the authorities.

Leo
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Ditto what Leo said but, let us not forget that the responsibility to run legal primarily rests with the DRIVER.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>I hired on with a local co. here in Wi. It often happened
>that as a second shift local driver, I would run a co. cargo
>van from 3pm-midnight and then start logging "D" unit time
>for my 11/14.
>Often I was exhausted driving in AM rush hour after 15 or so
>hour shifts. Sometimes it worked the other way around, "D"
>unit first then cargo van. It's a common co. practice. Some
>drivers work first shift "D" units and then get into their
>own vans and run. The record shift for a company van driver
>was 32 hours straight running.
>The last straw came for me when they dispatched me in a "D"
>unit at midnight after driving a van all second shift. Start
>time: 3pm. I was told not to scale the truck(take the
>backroads). The truck was so heavy when I let out the clutch
>as usual in second gear, it just died. It would barely stop.
>Thank God it was late at night. As frosting on the cake a
>second pick-up was added at Chicago's Midway. But I was
>happy driving down the 294 after dropping that load. Home at
>8:00 AM.
>I quit after 90 days even though I'd just started getting
>health insurance which ain't no good if you dead!

I guess I am kinda’ confused with this one and don’t mean to be insulting but why did you even stay one day? Even after a week, there really is no excuse to stay.

I am not going to comment about the company and what I think; it has been said.

But being kind of selfish with my life and wanting to make sure I am around for a long time, I really don’t care about you and the reason you choose to work like this, I care about me and others that have to drive around people like you. I think others agree with me but are too polite to say so. By no means am I trying to insult you, but this is really frustrating for many of us who call ourselves professional drivers.

I am worried that younger people think this is normal and it is just about driving and the miles you put behind you, I have to say it ain’t! It is about safety, courtesy and on time delivery. Anyone can accomplish all three of these without endangering anyone around you but the first and most important is safety. Remember the responsibility for everyone’s safety is yours, not the companies. You are in control when you are behind the wheel, not the company you work for.

A lot of companies are out there only to make money and just don’t care if you live or die or for that matter who dies because of you. Their insurance will cover a lot of the expenses and most of the time the responsibility falls on your shoulders, not theirs. I know a lot about the company’s end of things being a manager of a transportation department with over 200 vehicles. I know most of you don’t care but with 200 vehicles and 450 employees in five states to deal with everyday, you get a good picture of how insignificant s driver can be to the bigger picture and how it is easy to push someone to do something that endangers lives.

I am harsh for two reasons, one is I witnessed and ended up helping at an accident scene where a whole family of 6 was killed by a driver of a straight truck who worked 16 hours behind a wheel and cheated on his logs. The driver walked away with a broken arm but no one else did. It was a horrible scene and I was full of blood from moving the victims away from the burning car. The second happened to a coworker of mine. Everyone stopped on the freeway because of President Clinton making a visit to Flint and the state police closed the freeway. He was the last car in the center lane. A car hauling truck ran into the back of him at 50 miles an hour, almost killed him. A few the cars on the hauler ripped their chains and went sailing onto a family in a van and another car in front of the van. The driver was fatigued and didn’t even stop until he was a few car lengths away from the stopped cars and HE also cheated on his logs.

b3player

Expert Expediter
Thank you all for your inputs. I feel vindicated. I hate to quit anything I start but Greg is right. As the late spring became summer I looked down at the families on vacation rolling along happily oblivious to the danger around them. Greg's story about the accident scene ran through my mind more than once while working. Terry's right too. It was MY responsibility.

This was my first job in the general freight business. I'd been reading these forums for some months and actually knew better. A guy doesn't have to run 15-18 hour shifts to make a living. Although at $12.00 per with no overtime I was a company hourly employee and wanted very much to prove myself to the company. Not an excuse, just an explanation.

A note to the newbees and those seeking a carreer driving. Many drivers will tell you the only way to make money is to run ilegelly. Do not buy into that. Do not let dispatch conjole you into situations where innocent families are endangered. Read Terry. It is our personal responsibility as drivers to not jepordize saftey.

Now off to find a better job!!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
George

I have one other thing to add.

You said "Although at $12.00 per with no overtime I was a company hourly employee" brings up an important point about OT. If you were working anything over 40 hours, there may be money owed to you.

DISCLAIMER PART -- I am not a lawyer, this is based on experence that I had suing a company over this issue.

There are laws that regulate OT, At least every state has one and the dept of labor oversees employers by enforcing the Fair Labor Laws.

Most driving jobs, if not all are NOT exempt from these laws. There are two types of employees, exempt and non-exempt. the difference is that one has the decision and policy making responsiblities and the other takes orders (this is a simplified version of the difference). The issue of what you are actually is based on a percentage of time spent doing certian tasks, NOT as some employers want you to belive it is about your job title.

In Michigan for example if you are an hourly worker, you get paid OT. The only exceptions are Police, Fire and other emergency workers and IF your company has a WRITTEN policy which is discussed with you at the time of hire and there is a WRITTEN agreement with a company representitve and your signatures on it. NO exceptions.

So if I were you I would look into this, you can file a complaint with the Dept of Labor, but before you do, make sure you have copies of all your time cards to prove your case.

Good luck.