Gas Vs Diesel

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm seeing diesel up to .25 a gal less than unleaded in Michigan, I guess that's due to less demand in warmer weather. Does anyone know over the course of a year what the avg. difference is in prices between the two? Just curious, is all.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I'm seeing diesel up to .25 a gal less than unleaded in Michigan, I guess that's due to less demand in warmer weather. Does anyone know over the course of a year what the avg. difference is in prices between the two? Just curious, is all.

Your seeing diesel cheaper than gas?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I see that alot in IN where they have their fuel taxes jacked around. I havent paid any attention lately, but it is generally opposite of that.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
A quick check on the Gas Buddy app shows that here in the KC area gas is running around $3.35 vs diesel @$3.55....but some places they are both around $3.35. At least one place diesel was cheaper by a penny or two.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's what got me thinking about what the average spread is over a year. I'm sure gas is cheaper overall but just curious as to how much?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
That's what got me thinking about what the average spread is over a year. I'm sure gas is cheaper overall but just curious as to how much?

It is all part of the equation. The savings on gas might be less than some of us believe. So...are you volunteering to track this for a few years and give us a report? :)

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I saw diesel cheaper than gasoline here in SW Ohio too, this past weekend, and was surprised. Rare, that is, though in the 80's and 90's it was always less expensive.

Typical spread over the last 5 or so years of diesel being higher than unleaded, at least in my experience running the roads of America, is anywhere from .25 to .40 more.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I remember when gas was 27 cents and diesel was about 12-15 cents as I recall. I also recall spending 7 cents for my first fillup of my Honda 70.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was hoping someone would crunch the numbers I provided in post #9, ummmm, Scott. Oh, I forgot, he's lazy. I went back to 2008 up to yesterday and here are the results per year for the average price of gasoline vs. diesel fuel.

GASOLINE--
DIESEL

3.36----3.84

2.36----2.47

2.82----2.97

3.57----3.83

3.71----3.96

Since 2008: gas-$3.16/gallon. Diesel: $3.41/gallon.

On a side note: Is it my computer or has someone been messing with the type style and size?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You're welcome! I assume your interest stems from owning a Sprinter and a slopbucket gasser. Another way to look at these numbers is the gasser at 16 mpg would cost .20/mi. while the Sprinter at 22 mpg would cost .16/mi.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was at 13.2CPM (fuel cost only) on my weekend run. Gotta love duty free diesel at $3.32 and 25 mpg.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
You're welcome! I assume your interest stems from owning a Sprinter and a slopbucket gasser. Another way to look at these numbers is the gasser at 16 mpg would cost .20/mi. while the Sprinter at 22 mpg would cost .16/mi.

So my sprinter that gets 20 mpg gets less attractive.

eb