fuel milage

astikhossw

Seasoned Expediter
i have a straight truck that has a empty weight of 19000 lbs and a six speed overdrive with a cummins ISC 300 hp and the milage is only about 8.9 miles per gallon running 65 mph on average over the past year does that sound about normal for this engine.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
i have a straight truck that has a empty weight of 19000 lbs and a six speed overdrive with a cummins ISC 300 hp and the milage is only about 8.9 miles per gallon running 65 mph on average over the past year does that sound about normal for this engine.

My last expedite truck was a D unit Sterling with a C-15 Cat 450hp and tandem axles. I averaged 9mpg loaded and empty running about 16-17oo rpm. You should be doing at least 1 more mpg. But depends on the gearing as well. Oh yes I had a 10 spd.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We have a straight truck that has an empty weight of 22300 lbs and an Eaton 10 speed ultrashift with a Mercedes MBE 4000 @450 HP. We drive at 65 most of the time and our mileage for last year was 9.3 MPG. No APU so we have to idle. Howes meaner cleaner seems to bump up our MPG about .5 miles to the gallon.

astikhossw

Seasoned Expediter
At 65 mph i am running about 1800 rpm, and it is just a 6 speed ,and i hardly ever idle the truck if i can help it, i guess that smog system is really eating up the fuel.I had another truck without the smog system and mercedes 300 hp with more rear gear than this truck and it maintained 9.8 plus sometimes 11 mpg for over 4 years.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
i would guess that is a 08 or newer truck and that mileage seems in the park with the gearing i imagine it has. which is a shame it could possibly get into the low 9's with a lower gear. have you tried to slow down a bit to see if that helps. my 05 m2/112 with the 4000 mercedes @ 410 hp and 3.73 gears with the allison 6spd is getting 10-10.7 depending on load and conditions at 67 turning 1300rpm. the truck weighs 23,600 empty. single axle. ya, i know she's a heavy b!!!!.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Mine weighs about the same too but my mileage has dropped since I put in the performance injectors a couple months ago - I think one is clogged. I was surprised to hit 11.8 at one point when they were first put in but maybe it is the fuel too.

Idling last year in Rockford screwed everything up, ever since that time, I have had problems with mileage and injectors.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
not worth the expense and extra plate fee to do it. dont have any desire to run any heavier than the 8000 i can get in the box now. havent ever had a problem getting freight. we still get double loaded. i can count on both hands the number of times i have had a load cancel cause it was heavy and i have had this truck 6 years. plus without hauling heavy, HOPEFULLY my truck will last longer.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
not worth the expense and extra plate fee to do it. dont have any desire to run any heavier than the 8000 i can get in the box now. havent ever had a problem getting freight. we still get double loaded. i can count on both hands the number of times i have had a load cancel cause it was heavy and i have had this truck 6 years. plus without hauling heavy, HOPEFULLY my truck will last longer.

What??? You are hauling heavy empty!!! You think?

astikhossw

Seasoned Expediter
It is a 2010 that i bought in 2009,and last month and this month i am slowing to 60 mph to see were i stand,i did a full power run in nov. from north carolina to oklahoma and the thing go 7.8 running 70 mph and about 2000 rpm.What about those performance injectors.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
These injectors won't work on your engine, they are made for the CAPS system not the common rail system.

I would actually look up Pittsburgh Power and talk to them about what you can do, maybe one thing that is possible is to lower the HP - it has been known to help.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
desparado, what truck and what specs, weight.

bluejaybee, no not really considering the weight of the truck and the fact that most times i am not putting more than 5k in the box but even at gross of 32,000 its less work than if i was dragging around a extra 1300 to 1700 # that a drop axle would weigh. plus if i did that i would be putting it down at a lower cargo weight than i can put in the box now therefor affecting fuel mileage both ways. one by having the axle on and two by having it on the ground. both would drop fuel mileage. i have a friend with the exact same truck, exact same specs w/a pusher and he gets 9 up and 8.5/.75 down. i know there are many different thoughts on this, but has i said we have run this truck for 6yrs this way and havent missed out on much and have been successful. plus the entire 8000# of cargo is easy to load. i could put it all over the rear axle and be fine. i just load from the rear forward depending on the number of skids. carting 30,000 around most of the time or less is no work at all for this motor. dont even know it there.