Found this while looking at Garmin GPS

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok, i am on the "spending money to get this going step" , so having read the post on GPS, and Streets and Maps, I am on the crawl looking for what suits my needs best and came across this:

Garmin Mobile PC

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=139&pID=13484#

It appears to be all that streets and trips gps is, but has all of features found in the higher end Garmin Gps's with the exception of the "bluetooth", and i don't want or need that at all.

What do you all think?

I will be using a laptop and air card so internet is a given.

PS: it can be bought complete, no "bundles to add" for less then $85 buck!!

Dispatched

Not a Member
Good stuff Garmin is. But why you looking at PC software?
For just a few bucks more, you can move up to todays
technology.
EC.GMN.NUVI200NOH.CN.JPG

$119.00
Buy the Refurbished Garmin nuvi 200 GPS Navigation and other Car at circuitcity.com

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I wasn't "lookin" for the PC software, I was actually looking at stand alone units when I seen the software. I know some here use both with a stand alone gps and streets and trips. I'll be using a stand alone gps but was looking for opinions on the garmin software from those that use the "streets and trips" PC software, but, LOL, I ain't gettin any opinions either.........

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It's good you are doing your research before you buy. I myself used computer notebook with Delorme and was well satisified over the years, in addition to the Delorme software, I had other travel software programs loaded on the computer. Did not have to look at the screen as I could reach down and feel for the appropriate key advising me of miles to go, distance to next turn etc and one mile or less before the turn there is a verbal announcement. I found that trip planning was easy with any of the programs. Good luck on your choice. One last thing, I had amplified speakers hooked up to the computer so there was no problem hearing voice commands even with the window rolled down.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
tr wrote:

One last thing, I had amplified speakers hooked up to the computer so there was no problem hearing voice commands even with the window rolled down.

Oh yea!! Powered Subwoofer and speakers from altec lansing are always connected to my laptop!! :D

moose

Veteran Expediter
I for once have being using "Streets & trips" for 5 years now ,
and don't like it at all.(yes,i know , so why the 5 years... well at lease am not married to it...:) )
last update i installed last year.
am going to buy into a GPS unit soon , Currently looking at the Nuvi 760 or 750 ,

lets demonstrate to you the advantage of buying into an upscale unit :

Here is a task , for anyone that have a GPS :
let us know the model you got !
then
Enter a trip form Zip : 08854
to Zip : 24153

Did your unit Route you throe WDC ?
at Street & trips you have to "Force" it to go on I-81 !!!

Moose.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
ChefDennis: we recently had an exhaustive discussion of this issue, (probably in the Newbies Forum, if you want to search for it), and I believe the general consensus was that the stand alone GPS wins, hands down.
I used MS Streets & Trips for a few years, until I drove team with a lady who had a Garmin - it was my first purchase as a solo, and I've never regretted it. I chose the basic Nuvi 200, which has been very adequate, and have just ordered a Nuvi 350, for it's ability to play audiobooks (through Audible.com).
I still use S&T, when I have time to look on the laptop, but for day to day routing, the Garmin is the only tool I need. (Besides the atlas, of course - I drive a D unit, which means watching for truck routes). I can't recommend it highly enough! :)