For guys that turn around and come back.....

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What I do works for me, anybody else I doubt it, but from 97 to 2003 I ran hard stayed out for weeks paid off the big bills and now I buy used vans no payment so now I can run easy and be happy,

In the slow lane to nowhere!

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't know how anyone does it profitably in a small van or even a straight limited as they are in the freight they can haul. With TT this is relatively easy to pull off if one lives in the southeast or midwest.

Sent from my C811 4G using EO Forums mobile app

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don't know how anyone does it profitably in a small van or even a straight limited as they are in the freight they can haul. With TT this is relatively easy to pull off if one lives in the southeast or midwest.

The amount, either size or weight, of the freight is not important. We were making really good money until the rates went south. We don't even use the entire capacity of the straight truck, a TT would be over kill.

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Because you're so limited in what you can haul. That's not a comment on the size of your freight. It's about the limited kind of market you serve.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Because you're so limited in what you can haul. That's not a comment on the size of your freight. It's about the limited kind of market you serve.

Somebody's gotta do it. Somehow I don't think there's going to be a long line of TTs waiting for their chance to haul two pallets at 1,500 lbs, or shippers willing to pay TT rates for that shipment.

Sure, I can't take twenty pallets at 20,000 lbs-- but then, that's your part of the market. The two pallets at 1,500 lbs is my part of the market. Somehow or another, there's money in that too.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
People that do the out and back thing are usually engaged in what is often referred to as hot shot delivery, hauling mainly airfreight. Typically 300 miles or less loaded with rates reflecting the empty return. Common cargo van rates are in the $1.50/mi. range.

Chris@Doms

Seasoned Expediter
Carrier Management
I've got drivers that like to do hot shots around town, the pay is usually better to compensate driving home, since we're out of Chicago. I also have drivers that will go out for a few weeks and come home. I don't see or hear from them cept maybe at a bar. Then they run out of money and call me up to tell them find me a load.
Heck I've even booked a future load for a driver and then got him something else better, then grabbed a van from the office and ran out and did the job myself. I don't mind easy money either.

DRIVERDUDE

Seasoned Expediter
I'm like you mjmsprt40. The company I run for only does out and backs for vans mostly around 3-500 miles. I guess I'm doing things wrong because my bank account continues to grow, I'm not sleeping in a rest area or parking lot, and when tax time comes I owe no income tax because of write offs. I've been doing it like this for years and there is no way I could stay out 4-5 weeks at a time. I run for 3 companies now and all of them are out and backs. If I have a late drop or a very long distance run, it's motel time for me. I build up points and get free rooms sometimes. The only time I sleep in my van is when I am just totally burnt out and need a power nap.