fedex custom critical (solo)

ALVIN

Expert Expediter
does anyone know why fedex is now taking on solo d-unit west of the mississippi,when for years they were not.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If your facts are correct, it can only be that they have not been able to recruit enough teams to meet the demand.

vango

Expert Expediter
So,if your west of the missip.will they run you mainly west of the missip? Are they putting on any sprinters west of the missip? There is a world west of the missip!

ALVIN

Expert Expediter
Well i guess what i mean't by this message was that like 3 years ago i called the recruiter for fedex because they were going to be my first choice to expedite with but they told me that they would only lease on teams west of the mississippi so i went with another company.So last month i talked with a recruiter and he said that in the past that was there policy, but they or now letting owner lease on solo if they live west of the mississippi,i live in oklahoma so he was saying that this was close enough.I was just wondering if any of you pro's new of any reasons why the change in policy.if this was there policy before.

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
Since many drivers are no longer taking California runs because of the dead head out,they are once again looking for dedicated 11 western d unit drivers.
As well,they need dedicated W/G reefers to service Phyzer out of Reno.Phyzer Reno only service's the west.A good friend of mine ran solo D unit on the west coast a couple of years ago and did pretty well.He was on a guarentee,with an override for anything he did over.
No van service that I know of in Northern Cal,don't know about LA area.
Jerry Garcia was my banjo teacher when I was 14.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
D Unit solo out West = no more than 500 miles in one day, solo may just find himself counting tumble weeds instead of the odometer turning. Gotta keep yourself entertained somehow....

Marmino

Expert Expediter
Maybe because Denver is now an Express Center?

I interviewed Jerry and the Dead for a high school journalism project in 1970 when I was 16.:)

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>D Unit solo out West = no more than 500 miles in one day,
>solo may just find himself counting tumble weeds instead of
>the odometer turning. Gotta keep yourself entertained
>somehow....

This is likely another BROOMPILOT ignorance based post. Do you have any facts at hand to back this up?
Is this like your Canada threads, based on idiocy?

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
Where do you get off calling the Broompilot
Ignorant????? He has posted many informative
articles on this site. And as for his Canuck
experiences he is right on.

Mike
Whitewolf 53

HERE LIZARD LIZARD LIZARD

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p
:9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I don't always agree with Broompilot but I truly believe he makes an attempt to be honest and helpful in his posts. I don't think personal attacks are offered in that spirit. Shame on you dude

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Another righteous judgment on one of our fellow drivers. Too bad we can't just all swallow the need to pass judgement on someone else's posts,and stick to the subject matter at hand. I personally don't know either of the drivers, but it's another sad day in our world when posts become petty.

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
I can tell you my friend who ran solo(Jack Dixon knows him as well)actally did a hell of a lot more then 500 miles a week.He did many transfers,many loads to AZ,and Nevada,and exceeded $2500.00(fuel was minimum compared to 48 states) most weeks.His biggest complaint was he was on call 6 days a week,24 hours a day.
FEDEX may not be perfect,but they keep their word when it comes to operating agreements,at least that has been my experience over the last 6 years.I have never had 1 statement disagreement that we have not worked out.
I have considered putting a truck on solo in the West,as I know the potential.Just have not had the extra truck to try it.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Jack Dixon has posted several times in the forum specific info about his runs out west. Had Broompilot been aware of the factual information Dixon offered, he would not likely have made his "counting the tumbleweeds" comment. A search of Dixon's posts by anyone interested in this topic may be in order.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Tallcal wrote
Since many drivers are no longer taking California runs because of the dead head out,they are once again looking for dedicated 11 western d unit drivers.
=================================================================
You hit it on the head. Broom wasn't far off. My Fedex agent has told me they can't get many decent loads back east because of the competition, thus most having to deadhead out or sit for days on end. That is why most refuse to go out west. There is regional freight, but it is expensive to operate in those regions, but you can make a few bucks. I've seen the numbers out of Reno from supply chain, and unless you have a paid for truck (or close to) and live close or in Reno it isn't anything to get excited about. Pretty much the reason they want an owner operator.
Yes, my information is very accurate as of last week.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>Jack Dixon has posted several times in the forum specific
>info about his runs out west. Had Broompilot been aware of
>the factual information Dixon offered, he would not likely
>have made his "counting the tumbleweeds" comment. A search
>of Dixon's posts by anyone interested in this topic may be
>in order.

Broompilot is right; no doubt – find some way to entertain yourself.

Unless there is some special logging exceptions and the west has shrunk, there is a lot of space between cities which you can not possibly drive legal. Use some common sense – big spaces/no smiling faces.

See them tumbling down pledging their love to the ground
Lonely but free I'll be found drifting along with a tumbling tumbleweeds.....

ATeam

Retired Expediter
My Fedex agent
>has told me they can't get many decent loads back east
>because of the competition, thus most having to deadhead out
>or sit for days on end.
>Davekc

Your "Fedex agent"? Agent is another word for diapatcher at Fedex. Dave, are you now running a truck(s) with FedEx? If so, Welcome Home!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Hey I am going to add something here.

If I could get out west I would - no hesitation! Why? Money.

If there are not a lot of trucks in the west does this mean (possibly) that there is work out there for the few who want to work? I would think so! DUH!

Also there are solos out there in the west, know three of them that went out west in the past month, one this weekend. Are they back? No because they are working. But this is not for everyone I might add.

I still agree with Broompilot, get some entertainment.

What did Horace Greeley say?

For that matter who is Horace Greeley?

Well who is Jack Dixon and why can’t I find all these posts ATeam is talking about?!?