Express-1 scholarships?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think this is a great thing but I find this really odd.

This gives a great edge in regards of contractor relations and selling the company to both customers and contractors.

But I am confused about the problem that this would have with the IRS and the Department of Labor.

First the IRS will tax every dime of this because it is a contractor getting the money/access.

Second the DOL has strict rules about training contractors; it has to be related to a specific product/procedures or something unique to the company and only what is needed to do the job at that company. Companies are forbidden to train people for common software packages, like MS office or all them access to course like English, math or other common things. Once a company decides to provide access to education or training for contractors, they are employees. Unless they changed the rules recently, it has been this way for a long time and I know a lot of former contractors who sued to become employees over this very issue.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I seen recently that another carrier was on the news discussing this issue. The company was I believe U.S. Express. It profiled a couple that was driving and taking college courses through Chattanooga.
I'm not sure of the other issues that Gregg mentioned around employee/contractor status and IRS issues. Those weren't addressed in that news piece.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Last Sunday The Today Show had a story about a program specific to truck drivers through Chatanooga State University.It offers Drivers the ability to get a business degree on the internet without attending classes more than I think once or twice per semester. (or quarter, whichever they are on ). I am with Express-1. I haven't heard anything about a scholarship program but I will ask on monday.
The University of Phoenix offers many degree programs available on the internet as well.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
If a Contractor pays for tuition, than they remain a Contractor. If the Leasor pays well not its getting foggy.

Contractors can do anything they please to better themselves, companies doing this for you well the fog starts setting in.

But by all means do anything in your power to better educate yourself.