Expediting Company Recruiters?

Dice

Expert Expediter
I have a Class E tractor (1998 Volvo 770) that is paid for and I am thinking of moving from my truck load carrier to the world of expediting. I have information from and have talked to recruiters for:
Fedex Custom Critical
Panther II
Conway Now
Tri State
and CSX
This is also the order I have ranked them in by information given to me by mail and over the telephone from each company. All said being located in Charlotte, NC helped by being in high traffic freight lane. Most said they could get me back home for a couple of days after being out for 5-7 days. All said I would sit very little. The 2 companies at the top of my list sugar coated everything and said I would make at least $ 3,000 per week revenue with my Class E tractor. The top company said I would average at least $1.88 per mile with between 2,000 to 3,000 miles per week, I would be home most weekends and could even park tractor and trailer at the sister company terminal.

My question is this all too good to be true?
Any advice on entering the expiditing world would be helpful and very much apprieciated.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Dice,
I have talked to a few drivers that own tractors and haul for one of the companies you have in your list. Both guys told me they they stay busy all the time but alot of the loads are in Canada. The one driver told me he is doing about 32 to 3600 miles a week. He tells me, they are always looking for class E trucks. Good Luck.

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Dice,

From all the "E" drivers I spoke to that sounds pretty close to what I have heard. They usually stay loaded.

I would also talk to Landstar Express America, formerly of Charlotte. (They used to be based right off of Billy Grahmn parkway) They have a great program for tractor trailers, bst of both worlds. you would never have to sit at all.

you can find them at http://www.landstar.com

Dice

Expert Expediter
This is catching me off guard. I am not used to seeing positive post here for somebody wanting to get into the expediting business. Usually everybody post here to turn and run away as fast as you can.

Wow! Thanks for the encouragement!

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
JUMPMASTER

First off, if I were you I would spend a week or so just going to truck stops and talking with tractor/trailer drivers, get their opinions first hand, but as with anything you have to evaluate the answers yourself. As for recruiter information, you have to be the judge as I do not know how the big trucks are doing. You may want to conduct a search of the archives for additional information, in any event good luck.

Dice

Expert Expediter
I searched the archives. That's where I got all the negative information on the expiditing industry. I am sure there has got to be a good side to expiditing. I find it hard to believe that Charlotte, NC would not be a good area for expidited freight, both inbound and outbound has been good for regular freight.

Today is the 1st day I have posted even though I have been viewing post here since December of 2001. I try to do my homework on any business decision in advance and with today's economy, I don't won't to make any mistakes.

I have checked out the Landstar companies and have read post from Trucknet internet site about all the backcharges landstar hits you with. But, I did notice Landstar Express had several agents located here in Charlotte.

Thanks for the reply!
Dice

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes, the bigger expedite companies kiss the ground "e" units drive on. Why? Simply put, as far as trucks go to them, the bigger the better for the same effort on their part. They know just about any size or weight expedite load will fit in a 53 footer. The expense of operating the unit is yours.
Watch out with FedEx CC's leased trailers if you use one. Put one scratch in or on it and it is your fault, no matter what. They will charge forklift damage to a trailer as an "accident" to you if you let them. Might want to invest in your own trailer too if running e unit expedite.
-Weave-

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I agree with Weave on buying or leasing your own trailer. Most carriers will keep you loaded and running good.

Lawrence
Expediters Online.com

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
I agree with Weave and Lawrence. Every morning I get up and kick myself for not going after class a license when I started in 95. In expediting being versatile is the way to create revenue. And a tractor trailer is the holy grail in diversity.

We aren't always negative. Over the years there has been many positive posts/subjects. well ok. Maybe Weave is but the rest of us aren't...lmao :+

Dice

Expert Expediter
Thanks everyone for your input!

Another concern is the revenue these recruiters promise you is all percentage pay or mileage pay based on size of loads. Example: load that fits in an "A" unit is based on "A" unit pay even it is hauled in an "E" unit. I know I can turn these down, but I don't want to keep turning down loads and get on the dispatchers bad side, yet I can't run an "E" unit for what it cost an "A" unit either.

I quess my question to the comment above, is there a lot of "E" unit paying freight out there now? I know from the general freight hauling side, it seemed to me I hauled alot of freight with short delivery times and with the abundance of tractor trailers, it seems all trucking companies are expediters now charging general (cheap) freight rates in todays economy.

Maybe this is some of the problem by the economy laying off tens of thousands in other industries and for these people to see $$$$ signs over in the trucking industry. Then the truck driving schools are turning them out at record paces to only go to the low paying big companies that haul the real cheap freight making an over abundance of truck drivers and trucks to haul less freight due to the economic slow down.

Maybe I have said to much. I let you guys that have more experience in expediting comment on these matters. I can just only give my views relating to the general freight hauling side of the business.

Thanks again for your comments!
Dice

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I run a D unit for Fedex CC and in October will have been with them fot 15 years. One thing that I know from many conversations with E Unit drivers is that Fedeex CC will deadhead them all over the globe. Simply put is that, there are not a lot of E uints within this Company.They tend to come and go.Most Semi drivers are used to running every day,and do not want to deadhead 700 miles ,then wait for 2 days for a 500 mile run. But in expediting Fedex CC has the track record of having the most E units available.The other companies you mentioned are just starting to get into the E unit business,so if it was me I would go with Fedex CC. Having said that on Monday I picked up a D load in Anniston AL. A E unit came in to get a 35,000 lb load to Ga.This couple deadheaded from Long Island NY for this load (900 miles). They still made $1.10 per mile for all miles but that is a painfull deadhead. The male driver related stories to me about horrendous deadhead trips.(Sanjose Ca-to Kansas City Mo for a 400 mile trip etc..So think about it,head up to Detroit and chat with other E Unit folks.
Now having said all of the negative BS,I go along with Wild Bill and agree that The E unit is the real way to go in expediting. Other than parking problems, having the flexibility and the need for you to stay happy will go a long way with most companies.