Expediting 101

Wolf_Exp

Expert Expediter
Hey guys! Got my avaitor working now thanks to Lawrence :7 .

I was wondering -- what are you opinions on a school of expediting? They have trucking schools-- and schools for everything else. Plus with as much as you need to learn in expediting-- I was thinking a school may help. :eek:

What do you guys think?:+

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The problem with an expediting school is that every company runs differently. Orientations usually take care of all the basics, and the rest is experience.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
THawk is pretty close to right on this. I was doing some teaching and was actually putting a video version together and actually stopped based on no big interest. You can cover the basics and I was trying to put my mapping program in a form that could be taught and used by all and that too got little interest.

I have a freind that is in a software business and has been working with me on and off for almost a year to get my freight mapping set up. He nor I have had much free time for many reasons but sooner or later I hope we get this finished and our goal is that it would work with a GPS or PC Miler etc.

I simply gave up on teaching for a few reasons and mainly because of personal business issues. Now I am driving full time so my direction has changed as well

Raceman
OTR O/O

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I don't feel much can be schooled about this business, because, one thing for sure in this business - there ain't nothing for sure.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would love to see a good guidebook that covers things like all the Canada hassles etc. however I was getting stir crazy toward the second day of orientation so I don't know about a school per se. If someone could come up with a guidebook that clearly explains split logging, Canada, etc. in a form any fifth grader could understand and follow they'd have something I think.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
LDB;

Most of the better companies, in all areas of trucking, will provide a "Driver's or Contractor's Manual" at orientation to assist with all of these issues - some better than others.

Thanks,

HotFr8Recruiter

mhoy40

Expert Expediter
only been doin this since end of oct 04 but i can say this soak in as much at orientation as your melon will take then u move on to the school of hard knocks trial and error are the only real school for this one other thing that i learned is talk to as many drivers as u can no matter what company they work for info is knowledge listen to them then evaluate what you think the validity of what they say is usally u will learn something from them espescilly the older guys thats the best school i can reccomend to u.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>LDB;
>
>Most of the better companies, in all areas of trucking, will
>provide a "Driver's or Contractor's Manual" at orientation
>to assist with all of these issues - some better than
>others.
>
>Thanks,
>
>HotFr8Recruiter

We got a manual and it is pretty good but it's sort of the 'reader's digest' version. I'd like to see something a little more detailed and more of a step by step than general overview. I do talk to other drivers some and that helps too.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Robert Finney

Expert Expediter
Dear Sir:
Send me $2000.00. I will give you a lesson you won't soon forget that can be applied anywhere, including expediting.

Thank you,
finney

PS Make that cash, please, small bills, no serial numbers in sequence.

miko

Expert Expediter
I think one really learns the most by trial and error.
When I started, I had done some research, took alot of advice and info from my businesspartner, and the rest I learned on the road. No two days are alike, and no two situations are either. Now in my second year, I'd do things different if I was given another chance.

mvbn1

Expert Expediter
OK LDB, I've started writting "Expediting for Dummies" ...and no, I won't be sharing any profits with anyone! :+ }>

miko

Expert Expediter
I drove for Schneider years ago, gained some experience there and build my opinion. Not every driver at Schneider has a dream job either.

As far as the different things go, in my first year "the sky was blue and the gras was green". I thought I knew enough. Now in my second year, I learned more about companies, dispatch and their overall practices.

I might check out more companies, maybe a little closer.
I might set up things differently, but I guess that refers more or less to a personal opinion.

One can certainly not know everything in the first year, or make the right decisions. Better opportunities may come along. I find myself in a situation now, where there are things that I don't like the way they are. But I can't change them, so I have to make the best of it.(Insurance, Vehicle etc.)

I think it takes a few years to learn and make better decisions along the way.