E-350- Where to Mount CB?

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
I'm going to be picking up my E-350 next week,(barring any major problems) and just as I am getting my stuff together(Inverter, tool kit, antenna....) I looked at some interior shots of other 2000 E-350's and i can figurue out where the heck i'm gonna put my Galaxy CB! Could you folks give me some ideas? Maybe even some pics? Also, where did you hook it's power up at? The sockets make a crappy source, usually not enough to power a tuned radio anyway, so i'd rather not do that....

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There really is no perfect place. I don't like stuff on my dash, but the most common place seems to be on the dash. I put mine under the dash, to the right of the steering colum, about knee level. I get by with it there because I don't use it much, but would'nt put it there again. I may have an overhead console built in my next one for that and storage, maps, paperwork, ect. For power I used the hot wire for the AM/FM.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a Chevy and mounted my radio in the roof. First hold the radio with bracket up against the roof to make sure you can reach and see it. Also check that the mic cord doesn't obstruct your vision. Cut a piece of 3/4 inch plywood about 2" larger all around than your bracket. Pull the headliner down from the back side. Apply construction adhesive to the plywood and slide into position between the headliner and the roof. Use a 2x4 or mini load lock to hold plywood in place until glue sets up. Run 2 wood screws through the bracket and headliner into the plywood.
I have an overhead shelf with a compass, clock and phone charger. Power is supplied by an auxiliary battery. My c.b. plugs in there. You can also get power from the dome light. Just remember to turn your radio off or you will drain your battery. The coax runs along the shelf, down the pillar, under the dash and through the firewall to grandma's house. The antenna is a stainless steel whip mounted on a bracket that is attached to the inside fender lip. The bracket sticks up through the gap between the fender and the hood. Works good and fits in my garage.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dieselphreak, if you p.m. your e-mail address I will send pictures this weekend.

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
I had a 2000 E-350 and I mounted my CB to the Headliner panel over the dash. it worked great. Just use extra screws when you put the mounting bracket up there. You can also screw in a Mic Caddy up there to hold your mic. Worked very well for me....Butch :D :D :D

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
Was that right to the panel, or did you put the board underneath? I need an idea that won't hurt the van too much, as my fleet owner would not be too happy.

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
I screwed it right to the panel. They also make real nice wood box's for CB's to mount up there. Check them out....Butch :D :D :D

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My opinion, go on line or order a catalogue from JC Whitney and order the storage shelf that fits above the sunvisors. Easy to install and great place for mounting CB. Plus extra space for items used daily.

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Here is a pic of the storage shelf with CB mounted below it. No problem with installation or vision.