Diesel Sprinters in 2013

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Just read an article by the CEO. They are offering a Diesel engine and a new transmission in 2013 models. You probably already know this but thought I would throw it in.
On the other hand it will probably cost $80k and parts will be twice as hard to find. That's just a punn from me. LOL!

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I was reading the article in Light and Medium duty trucking. I'll try to get the link from the online issue.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It will be interesting to learn the details but I wonder about power output. The current model doesn't seem overpowered at all and a 4 cyl. is going to lose quite a bit I'd think. It will be interesting to do what ifs anyway.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I did read another article that said it was to be 140hp and expecting 24 mpg on the extended model. But you know how that goes.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Does anyone ever get feedback from European drivers on their Sprinters on maintenance and so on?

Marty

Veteran Expediter
On Sprinter-online a Mercedes dealer posted that the 4 cylinder 7 speed combo won't be in the USA until the 2014 model. He said that the 2013 models will remain the same as the 2012.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does anyone ever get feedback from European drivers on their Sprinters on maintenance and so on?

While in Europe, I was talking to a Sprinter owner. They haul up to 2000 kg (that's about 4400 lbs), the European models are lighter than American ones, maybe that's why they can put more weight, but Ford Transit is more popular, resistant and way cheaper than Sprinters.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Transit will be the game changer for our industry. Take that to the bank. Oh, and stay away from Google stock when it's released.

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
A game changer probably. When all vans in carrier fleets are sprinter size then the " extra capacity
bonus " that cube and sprinter vans currently enjoy disappears. What will be the next "leg -up " that will be required to earn the premium rate?

Stay safe KG