Decision Time and Need Serious Help

Gus123

Active Expediter
This is my first post on the forum, and at this point I am truly glad I found the site. With no local mentors available, the opportunity to reach experts here is going to be invaluable. I hope someday I can return the favor to someone in need on this board.
I am sitting on top of a local contract for straight-truck work, and if we can come to an agreement on fuel surcharge, things will happen very quickly I believe.
I have not as of yet purchased my truck. This is where the stress and confusion comes in,,,and I know all of you out there have been thru it before. I also know there are previous posts concerning my questions, but would like to request a new input from you folks. Thank you all, sincerely, in advance for your help.
It appears my choices have come down to an M2-106, an Intl 4300, a FL 70, or a KW T-300. The C-7 Cat seems to have a good reputation, but more costly repairs. The DT466 in the Intl seems to be a good engine, but I read about a lot of electrical problems. The Hino trucks seem to be rate very highly in customer satisfaction, but in a rural area, I don't know about repair shops handling those. The Cummins engines in the Ford F650 I know are of high quality, but that truck would not perform as well on the job, or ride/handle nearly as well I do not believe.
Rear end specs are all over the place (4:11, 3.9, 5.29, 5.57???) and I have no idea what the best combo for fuel economy would be, but as we all know,,,in these times this is super critical IMO. What should I be looking for as far as good fuel mileage vs. repairs vs. overall maintenance reserve costs etc? What, if any, are the benefits of a 6-sp vs auto, as far as reliability, mileage, etc. Given the same overall condition of trucks, would the T300 be a better long-term choice for less repairs and overall performance, or will they break the bank? (I Do like those trucks!) I apologize for dumping all this on the forum at one time, but I believe I am probably in a time critical situation,,and again,,,thank you all very very much. Gus

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Alot of missing info...the axle ratio, trans, and engine are all dicated by the weights and areas you will be doing most of the driving in.. Will you be doing most of your driving in the flat lands with minimal mountains?? Will you be hauling lower weights for the most part or heavy stuff???

Will you be driving over the road or locals?? will you need a sleeper??? Will you be running a team or solo....

Those are just what popped into my head..there are more, but no one can answer your questiones without at a minimum knowing more...

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Alot of missing info...the axle ratio, trans, and engine are all dicated by the weights and areas you will be doing most of the driving in.. Will you be doing most of your driving in the flat lands with minimal mountains?? Will you be hauling lower weights for the most part or heavy stuff???

Will you be driving over the road or locals?? will you need a sleeper??? Will you be running a team or solo....

Those are just what popped into my head..there are more, but no one can answer your questiones without at a minimum knowing more...

How are those tires working for you?:rolleyes:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
lol, i found out that those big holes in them are for RIMS or WHEELS....now the problem starts all over again....:rolleyes:

But , I won't go there in ths thread too...:D

Gus123

Active Expediter
ChefDennis,,,thanx, and you're right. Loads will be considered "light", local, solo, flat lands, no sleeper required. I need a straight box truck, 24 or 26 ft. thanx, gus

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok, now the ST people can offer up their advise, as I have no real idea...(lowly Cargo Van driver here) other then the since you are running as you listed...the axle ratio can be high (4:11 instead of the 5:57) the and automatic trans will not get the mileage that a stick will if you know how to use the rpm range of the engine..but the auto will be easier to drive....

As to what "combo" will benefit you the most for power and mileage...the big tuck pros can give you more info then i can...

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You will want pretty tall gears if you are running on flat land and light loads. If you can't find a truck with taller gear ratios I would look at the 3.90, it is best of what you mentioned.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
opps...yeap the 3.90 would be the best of those listed..i missed that one, my bad...

one thing to keep in mind is that contracts don't last forever and you never know what th next deal will bring, so maybe a "compromise' on the power train would be inline..mileage is always a great concern, but if your situation were to change and the truck is set for mileage and you find the need for more power, then you will be spending money to make that change...not a big compromise, but something that will give you the best of both worlds...and that will mean taking the overall powertrain setup into consideration....keeping everything within a set of parameters and working at the peak to take advantage of what is needed at the time...getting trans and axle ratios set to work with the high rpm range of the engine....

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Be careful there is more to gearing than just final drive. Transmission comes into play along with tire size as well as local, flat or type of driving. Try to read this site and more like them. <http://www.trucktestdigest.com/axle%20ratios.htm>
If your running local and just starting out keep your initial investment to a minimum while sorting things out. Maybe go to Penske or Ryder to get a used truck to start with until you figure out your customer and his demands. Maybe leasing a truck with an option to change types of equipment in the middle of the contract with no penalties just in case your customer needs more or less of a truck. Try not to trap yourself.
Fuel S/C like most contract carriers charge a flat 15% of the freight charges. Thats what I do instead of using the national FSC rate. Private contracts are differant than LTL,Tl or other common rate tarrifs. Keep an open mind and be careful. Good luck.