CV head lights

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
are the HID and brighter bulbs legal on a S/T?
Only if the vehicle came from the manufacturer with HID lights.

The US Code specifies the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, and FMVSC No. 108 says all replacement lamps must be able to use the vehicle's existing light source (light bulb socket and electrical wiring, current and voltage). So, any HID bulbs installed must be plug-n-play. You can't just change the vehicle's light source from a regular halogen system to one that works with xenon or HID lights, either, because 49 U.S.C. 30122 makes it illegal to render inoperative any equipment installed in accordance with a Federal motor vehicle safety standard.

The NHTSA has determined that it is impossible to produce HID conversion kits (converting a halogen system to HID) that would be compliant with FMVSS No. 108, and Federal customs agents have seized millions of dollars' worth of shipments of HID conversion kits because the kits fail to meet federal standards. Your tax dollars at work.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My van has antique headlights, the sealed beam type not interchangeable bulbs. I tried the Sylvania for one set at I think around $3x per bulb instead of the $10 or so for basic bulbs. They were whiter and brighter but didn't last long at all. Almost 40 years ago we had Cibie lights in my dad's car, a 911. They were put in with relays or something, I'm not sure just what, by the mechanic that did everything on that car. They were 80 watt low beam and 100 watt high beam. If you pulled on the high beam at noon from about 1/4 mile behind another vehicle it's license plate lit up light it was electric powered. The low beams had a razor sharp cutoff so they didn't bother any other driver but they really lit up the road surface. I'm not sure about longevity since they only got used at night. They lasted for years but then that wasn't expediting/drl usage. I hope my next van has at least an HID option if not standard feature.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks Turtle,
I was just wondering in the event I replace the headlight assembly I was sure there was somthing regulating. Last thing anyone needs is hear the infamous "Driver you have a problem." What about auxilary driving lights?

Bob Wolf.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Far as I know, aux and driving lights can be pretty much anything, other than red in color.

guido4475

Not a Member
I can't remember who makes them at the moment, but Napa is a distributor for LED headlights, around $225.00 a side, direct replacement for sealed beam headlights. I think it was Trucklite that made them.

guido4475

Not a Member
Another thing about the HID conversion kits are that on a 2 headlight system, you'll only have low beam with the HID kit. (The plug and play kind, with the balllast) I've been told the slim line ballast does not last as long as the standard size ballast, also.

This setup will be next on my list, just trying to decide the temperature I want to go with and brand.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I have had my slim ballasts for going on 2 years. Oh and mine have a lifetime warranty on the ballasts.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
My Bad....
I forgot to mention that composite / plastic lights can deteriorate form the inside as well as they are not completely air tight they often have small weep holes to alow for altitude air presure change. Eventualy dust and crud will make its way inside. If they are crudded up inside theyre junk and its time to hit E bay or a auto body parts distributor. As I said before make sure they aim them or you waste your money.
Good luck.
Bob Wolf.

ah, the days of real glass headlights, now we got plastic and problems, sealbeam anyone????

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
In 1968 when I was boating and flying with the Navy, I acquired one small aircraft landing light and mounted it on the front bumper of a 67 VW. It was a 12 volt sealbeam lamp of unknown candle power. I used number 12 wire and a 30 amp rated switch with the switch mounted underneath the dash..

It was similar to the way the guy in the video did his. The lamp in his video does a good job. When I turned my lamp on, the results were 100 times better over conventional lamps of the automotive type. When you use an aircraft landing light, you can see well over a mile and the wide angle spread is awesome.

Note: an aircraft landing light is not, repeat is not for use in traffic auto conditions, but it is GREAT for those times you can't see Jack u know what, like bad delivery lots, messed up construction sites when ur on the road and its 3 am. Unsafe areas light Detroit when you made a wrong turn. I basically used mine for recreation at the beach when you could not see bad areas of water or swampy conditions in the boonies around the Pan Handle of Fla.

But if you mount one on your Van or Sprinter, when you need light, you will never have to worry about poor visibility-- trust me on that-- it is another world with a aircraft landing light, a small one will do. it makes using your standard head lights look like they are not burning. PS** When I had mine burning, at 6 ft from the bulb, u can feel the heat, awesome lamp.... So be creative, your an expediter, right?????????????????????

guido4475

Not a Member
ah, the days of real glass headlights, now we got plastic and problems, sealbeam anyone????

I'm right there with you, it's just that I like the way the composite headlights spread the beam out over a greater area than a sealed beam. If it werent for that, I'd still have my sealed beams.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In 1968 when I was boating and flying with the Navy, I acquired one small aircraft landing light and mounted it on the front bumper of a 67 VW. It was a 12 volt sealbeam lamp of unknown candle power. I used number 12 wire and a 30 amp rated switch with the switch mounted underneath the dash..

It was similar to the way the guy in the video did his. The lamp in his video does a good job. When I turned my lamp on, the results were 100 times better over conventional lamps of the automotive type. When you use an aircraft landing light, you can see well over a mile and the wide angle spread is awesome.

Note: an aircraft landing light is not, repeat is not for use in traffic auto conditions, but it is GREAT for those times you can't see Jack u know what, like bad delivery lots, messed up construction sites when ur on the road and its 3 am. Unsafe areas light Detroit when you made a wrong turn. I basically used mine for recreation at the beach when you could not see bad areas of water or swampy conditions in the boonies around the Pan Handle of Fla.

But if you mount one on your Van or Sprinter, when you need light, you will never have to worry about poor visibility-- trust me on that-- it is another world with a aircraft landing light, a small one will do. it makes using your standard head lights look like they are not burning. PS** When I had mine burning, at 6 ft from the bulb, u can feel the heat, awesome lamp.... So be creative, your an expediter, right?????????????????????

So you are the numb skull with that blinding light? Gee whiz. ;) be anymore creative ill kick your headlights in....

guido4475

Not a Member
So you are the numb skull with that blinding light? Gee whiz. ;) be anymore creative ill kick your headlights in....

Even out of adjusted headlights can be annoying, let alone bright lights...but, what gets me is the people who will yell and complain about them on the C.B., but refuse to look away from them. They taught us in driving school to look at the white line until the vehicle with bright lights has passed. Or the idiots you pass, and then they turn on their high beams and tailgate you..like that is going to do much good...lol...showing their true ignorance.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
IF everyone had bright lights I wouldn't be watching where I am going..I'd always be looking away....on a main interstate almost NO reason for boosted headlights....it is just plain spoiled behavior...IN MY OPINION.......:p

guido4475

Not a Member
IF everyone had bright lights I wouldn't be watching where I am going..I'd always be looking away....on a main interstate almost NO reason for boosted headlights....it is just plain spoiled behavior...IN MY OPINION.......:p

Look at it this way...if you had these so called"boosted headlights" than you may of missed the deer or seen him in time to avoid the poor little guy...saving yourself thousands..:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In my case headlights would have made no difference....I'll never agree.. the headlights out now , stock ones do the job just fine....at some point the brightness crosses the line of high beam.
What we need is more attentive drivers that don't need add ons and artificial aides to enhance their abilities .... All these toys created to make it "easier" ...bull crap.. These toys make lazy drivers....

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
In my case headlights would have made no difference....I'll never agree.. the headlights out now , stock ones do the job just fine....at some point the brightness crosses the line of high beam.
What we need is more attentive drivers that don't need add ons and artificial aides to enhance their abilities .... All these toys created to make it "easier" ...bull crap.. These toys make lazy drivers....

The headlights have to meet DOT standards. There are certain limits they do set. More attentive or not, brighter headlights make safer drivers by giving them the ability to see farther and more without running with their high beams on. Have you ever driven a vehicle with those so-called "Enhanced or boosted" headlights before? If you did, you'd have a different perspective on them.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
A truck whether C/Van or TT after a year of running in salt and road junk looses 75% of its grounding. Head lights are right out front getting it all.
Suggestion, reground your headlights and see the difference. They last longer and are brighter. You might reground your cab or body to the frame also. The better the grounding cable on the cab or body will help your FM get out farther and recieve better signals.
Just a suggestion.
I use nothing but marine tinned cable for grounding. Why? Less corrosion with tinned cable.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The headlights have to meet DOT standards. There are certain limits they do set.
There are currently no HID conversion kits on the market anywhere that meets those DOT standards.

Have you ever driven a vehicle with those so-called "Enhanced or boosted" headlights before? If you did, you'd have a different perspective on them.
I have, and they're great. They're beyond great, they're awesome. I can understand how someone can quickly become thoroughly and completely unconcerned with any annoyance the glare of these lights can cause to other drivers. The only thing that prevents me from using them, or aircraft landing lights or railroad engine headlights, is getting a ticket for having them, not the concern of momentary annoyance of oncoming drivers (although, I do dim brights and even lower the aiming of the low beams when they're on someone's face).

The NHTSA has been doing studies since at least 2001 about the correlation of bright headlights and accidents caused by the glare, and so far has found no correlation at all. So while the glare is annoying, it ain't going away.

There are a handful of states with glare laws, but they don't go after HID or other bright lights specifically like they mention high beams, they just say you have to not have the glare in other driver's faces. Nebraska is one such state. There's maybe half a dozen others.

The thing is, the DOT standards require some upward spill on headlights in order to illuminate overhead signs that are not lighted by themselves. They accomplish that by requiring a large reflector housing behind the bulb. In Europe, all overhead signs that are applicable at night must be self-lit, so there is no upward spill on the automotive lights in Europe, and it's why the HIS lights are so common over there. Instead of having to use a flood reflector housing like we have, they use a more focused beam which allows for more light throw down the road, and a brighter beam. Here, you put that bright beam in a floody reflector, and you blind everyone on the road.

Because 49 U.S.C. 30122 makes it illegal to render inoperative any equipment installed in accordance with a Federal motor vehicle safety standard, including the required reflector to achieve the necessary upward spill to illuminate signs, all HID conversion kits according to the DOT are illegal. It's why all those kits state "for off-road use only" or some other type of warning. Many of those kits state "DOT Approved", but if you look closely that approval only applies to the bulb or the ballast, and not the kit itself. The DOT doesn't even approve that stuff anyway, the manufacturer self-declares that it meets the DOT standards, and is therefore DOT approved. That's all "DOT Approved" means.

One interesting thing is, how objectionable the brighter lights are depends largely on the color of the light. The cooler the light is, the more objectionable it is, even if it's actually dimmer than a regular halogen light, as the cool blueish end of the spectrum has a greater effect on ruining someone's night vision. Warmer light, even a brighter one, doesn't seem as bright to an oncoming driver. If you go with a warmer light, even a brighter one, it's less objectionable, and therefore will greatly reduce the chances of getting ticketed for it.