Conway announces new Retail Delivery division

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I hadn't seen this anywhere else, but someone I know had a link to the story on his blog. Seems Conway Now will have a new division that delivers to retail stores.

quote: "The new "final-mile" service, Con-Way Retail, offers local cross-docking, warehousing and final delivery of freight to customers with multiple selling locations within a single geographic area. Each step of the Con-Way Retail process will be confirmed electronically using software that provides a retail industry-standard interface. The new company will operate as a part of Con-Way NOW, the expedited unit of Con-Way Transportation Services."

The article goes on to say "Final delivery will be made by Con-Way Retail personnel using straight trucks with roller conveyors, lift-gates and hand trucks to facilitate inside deliveries. Deliveries will be made within predetermined delivery-time windows. "At the time of delivery we will again scan all the individual cartons to ensure complete shipment accuracy before delivery," Conaway added."

I'm sure this will mean increased pay for the Conway drivers. I guess this would be a type of Special Services, not really a White Glove perhaps, but specialized. It makes you wonder tho, like some have said about other companies.. what about those who invest in the special equipment... and then try to go somewhere else.. who else would need a 'roller conveyor' equipped truck?

[a href="http://www.truckinginfo.com/news/news-detail.asp?news_id=54808&news_category_id=7"] Click here for the rest of the article[/a]

Anyone else heard of this? Conway drivers?

Dreamer

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
There have been ads in the Cleveland Plain Dealer by ConWay Retail lately.

I called them, and they were just getting the local terminal(?) organized. After talking with the guy, I didn't feel that it was anything I wanted to get involved with.

Rent/lease/buy a straight truck...deliver goods to retail outlets (Home Depot and Target were mentioned).

Rex

Robert Finney

Expert Expediter
The slider wouldn't be something that the truck's actually equipped with, as say a Reefer unit or heated mirrors would be. The slider's just an accessory that you haul around with you like a hand truck or pallet jack. If you went somewhere where it wasn't needed, you'd just leave it behind, same as you'd leave your winter coat behind on a trip to Havana. Just 'cause you have a winter coat doesn't mean you're "equipped" with one that you've got to take with you wherever you go.
The truck itself might have an underbody hanger or carrier for a slider and might have hooks on the tail to secure it, but, as I said, that doesn't mean you've got to take it with you all the time.
I'd be surprised if they'd expect you to supply your own.

finney

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Thanks for clearing that up for me Robert, I thought that was something that would have to be part of the truck.

Dreamer

miko

Expert Expediter
The idea is the same like one with SEARS. I just looked into a business opportunity advertised in my area. I have to lease their straight truck per week, SEARS schedules all their deliveries, which is then send to a warehouse that is contracted to SEARS of course, and then I have to make deliveries to private customers, not retail outlets. Company supplies everything you need to start up, pay is by the stops not miles driven.
I was told that was the new way of business for the future.
The idea is not bad, nor is the pay if you really get what they say, but it has a hook of course. One needs to hire a helper and pay him...
Bad idea tho, since my wife is involved in the business too, and the revenue would not be enough to pay another person.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I did that sort of stuff for about 18 months once. It was similar to Sears only you ran your own truck. Had to pay a helper and had all of the problems that you can expect when you are dealing with individuals at the bottom of the labor pool. I contracted with a company called Merchants Home Delivery and did regional furniture delivery to residence's. Tought work and long days,biggest problem was that the customer wasn't home when you arrived,2nd problem was that they would buy furniture too large to fit through their doorways,so you would drive 60 miles and be unable to complete the stop, so no pay.
Going to stores might not be too bad but some stores in malls do not have rear entrances and you might have to go miles thorugh the front door of the malls just to get to the store.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sounds like it is strictly to the retail location and not final buyer but still sounds like a less appealing option than OTR. If I wanted to do the delivery portion I'd look at UPS local instead thinking it would pay better. I could be wrong on that though.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Robert Finney

Expert Expediter
If you get on with Buster Brown full time right from the git-go, let me know. Not that I want to sign on or anything, but I know several of their drivers (both line haul and local) and they all did the "Sit-by-the-phone-you-must-be-available-at-any-moment-in-case-we-call-you-this-week." routine for as long as it took to get on full time.
I'm not saying they won't hire you straight up full time, it's just that I don't believe it's a common practice with them.

They didn't do it 'cause the pay's bad, BTW.

finney