Code reader for gas engines.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Bob Wolf's thread prompted me to start this one and make it a seperate thread for gas engines.

What is the best code reader for the gas engines? Will most of them do the same thing? Would a code reader (scan tool?) Enable me to clear codes?

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I use an app called Torque..its for android...requires a 20 Bluetooth adapter..app and adapter will run you under 30.00.. reads and clears any OBDII codes..on your phone...ALSO you can set up gauges to read any engine function in real-time..ie. tach..water temp..volts...throttle postion..check it out i love it..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Bob Wolf's thread prompted me to start this one and make it a seperate thread for gas engines.

What is the best code reader for the gas engines? Will most of them do the same thing? Would a code reader (scan tool?) Enable me to clear codes?

I have two Scan Guages. You can keep up with mileage, cost per mile, code reader and a lot more. Plug it in and go. Dial up Scan Guage and order one.:cool:

scangauge.com

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with the Goose, get a ScanGauge! I've got the old giant clunky style ScanGauge velcroed to my dash. I don't leave home without it.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's interesting looking. I might have to get one.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think the ScanGauge is a great investment. I've usually got my gauge screen set to show RPM, voltage, intake air temp and water temp. I can easily toggle back and forth between the gauge screen and the fuel consumption screen.

I quickly perused the link Purgoose provided and the programmable X model looks intriguing. It mentions transmission temperature as an option.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That would be the first issue, figuring out which model to get.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Whichever model you get, you will get your money's worth. I've used them for years. I wear them out and get a new one. The only reason I have worn them out is swapping vehicles all the time. Now both of my C/Vans have them and if they made one for big Pets's I'd have it on each of them.
If you pay attention to the mileage it actually helps you get better mileage with better throttle control.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Whichever model you get, you will get your money's worth. I've used them for years. I wear them out and get a new one. The only reason I have worn them out is swapping vehicles all the time. Now both of my C/Vans have them and if they made one for big Pets's I'd have it on each of them.
If you pay attention to the mileage it actually helps you get better mileage with better throttle control.
http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauged/ This one is for trucks?

Thanks for the input everyone!

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This looks intresting
What can you monitor with this? can you record a test drive? I miss being to hook my vehicals up to an anylizer when doing tuneups. I am an old school mechanic if your gona tune it up make sure everything matches up and runs right and have the right parts the first time. Especialy on a tight budget like most of us are.

Actron makes decent units for the price I think theyre made by O.T.C. just a year behind in the software and a lighter version.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
This looks intresting
What can you monitor with this? can you record a test drive? I miss being to hook my vehicals up to an anylizer when doing tuneups. I am an old school mechanic if your gona tune it up make sure everything matches up and runs right and have the right parts the first time. Especialy on a tight budget like most of us are.

Actron makes decent units for the price I think theyre made by O.T.C. just a year behind in the software and a lighter version.

If you go to the web site it will give you a list of all that it monitors. Mpg, engine temp, oil , cost per mile, trip info, lots of stuff all of it good.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This looks intresting. What can you monitor with this?

Just about anything you want to monitor and a whole bunch of stuff you never knew needed monitoring. Some of the basic gauges show water temp, air intake temp, voltage, mph, rpm, tps, map fuel pressure, fuel system loop status, cpm, average mpg etc.

If you get the E model ScanGauge you can track your vehicle’s CO2 output in real-time. View information such as Current-CO2 and Trip-CO2. You can also track the days Total CO2 and Total CO2 for the tank within the built-in Trip Computers. This feature will come in handy when Al Gore comes knocking on your door demanding you purchase some of his carbon credits. You will have instant proof detailing your actual carbon footprint allowing you to give Al the boot while telling him to go suck on some other slobs tailpipe.

I believe the E model ScanGauge also monitors heart rate, pulse, body temperature, respiration, perspiration, bladder capacity, miles to next rest area, methane discharge, REM, caloric intake, calories burned, caffeine levels and a low caffeine audio alarm.

Here's a little known fact I came across while reading the ScanGauge website: According to a report issued by the US government, adjusting your driving habits can increase fuel economy by up to 33%. Wow, who would have thought that by simply adjusting one's driving habits one could increase their fuel economy.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Is the scanguage available at any of the parts stores autozone, oreilly's etc?

Does it monitor bowel movements too?