Chevy Van Problem

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just a quick "help" note. I drive a 2002 1 Ton Chevy Van G3500. Vortec engine with 450 (I think trans). Had Chevy do a diagnostics today, got charged and they can not find the problem. Here's the story. When driving down the road at cruise speed I can continue to accelerate with no problem and the speed of course goes up; however
when RAPIDLY accelerating, pedal to the metal for passing etc, the speed remains the same; however the engine rpm advances, I can only get up to a higher speed by letting off the throttel and gently accelerating then it will go as fast as I want. Any one had this problem and know what might be wrong. Tks in advance.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
GO back to the dealer and ask them to check the power train diag codes, they probably checked the engine control computer. You could also go to PEP boys or anyone with the computer that can check the tranny computer.

If the dealer says no, talk to the service manager and tell them you want it fixed and willing to take him/her for a ride to show them the problem. If they agree (which I have yet to have one say no) pick a route that takes you over the same road you experience the problem and you drive the first half then have them drive back to the dealership.

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Tks for the response, was beginning to believe it was the tranny. Fortunately I talked with a Tri State drive this AM and he said change the fuel filter. Did that, PROBLEM SOLVED. Now what I do not understand is: Going down the road, mash it down, engine revs up and no speed. I would think that if it was the fuel filter it would starve itself and cut out. It may just be sitting overnight something changed, I don't have the slightest idea, but for $5.80 I won't complain. Maybe this will help someone else, if so great. Take care, MERRY CHRISTMAS and drive safe