Chevy forum which may help you

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I clicked on the link and read this;

"I own a 1997 1500 conversion van with the 5.7 liter(350). I love driving it - it has lots of power, handles great(the 255 70R's don't hurt) and the captains' chairs keep the kids far enough apart to avoid any fights. The high top makes the interior cavernous - I get claustrophobic in an Expedition after being in my van. However, there is a dark side...
The transmission had to be replaced at 57,000 miles. Then at 67,000 miles. The dealer also replaced the ring & pinion gears and all the differential bearings that time.
The battery gave up the ghost at 70,000 miles.
The brakes must be done religiously every 25,000 miles. (I have never towed anything).
The 35 gallon tank runs dry at 29.7 gallons. (Thank you again to the friendly AAA tow truck driver for the spare gas).
I get 12-13 MPG city, highway, uphill, downhill, loaded, empty. (some of you seem to do better - any suggestions?)
I am extremely thankful that I spent the extra $$ on the 100,000 mile extended warranty. I will trade it in before it expires. I was thinking of getting a Ford next time, but it appears that they aren't any better."

I felt sorry for the van.

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
About as bad as reading that one owner had to replace brake pads at 30,000. My 2002 Chev has 299,000 miles on the same shoes and they still look graeat. Replaced fuel pump at 118,000 as I figured it was time, decided to take a chance and 181,000 it's still ticking.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
know what you mean.

I have two pontiac stories, my uncle had a '67 Catalina wagon that never had a brake job and I had a '68 firebird that had well over 140K and orignal shoes all away around. Something about GM.