Chevy express c van

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just put a 1999 chevy express van on the road yesterday other than some rust and 199 K on the odometer the van is in good condition and runs strong. Besides I picked it up cheap from a friend he was tired of looking at it in his yard. I did the usual PM before putting it on the road. Ive seen posts on fuel pumps going bad what other demons should I be looking out for.
Thanks.
Bob Wolf.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If that van has the original fuel pump you will be replacing it tomorrow or Thursday. I got somewhere around 180,000 miles out of my original in a 1998 extended. Most drivers I talked to averaged about 100,000 miles on a fuel pump.

I believed I replaced all the U-joints around the 200,000 mile mark.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I my last GM Alternator went 186,000 miles..the brushes just wore out..I kept the core and had the brushes replaced and it worked fine, it went in the truck as a back spare...So if yours is the original.....

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
1st alternator and trans went to 350,000.....im @ 540,00 and on orig. Fuel pump...........how long do the coil packs last??

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
MOOT,
You must have E.S.P. had a code show up today looking like the fuel pump is getting weak kinda expected it from reading other posts.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
A 99, I would do like I do at that mileage. Remove everything off the front of the motor and replace it ie. water pump, thermo, alt, p/strg pump while it off look at the timing chain. Timing chain shouldn't be bad they were steel then. All hoses, belts, replace them with silicon hoses. Shocks, brakes.
That's me, but that's what I do and some more at 250,000. I don't wait for them to break on the road. But again that's me and my overkill maintenance.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The body is in decent shape strong motor and its in overall good condition I dont mind putting some money into it considering I picked it up for 700 bucks from a friend. Just looking ahead so im not sitting on I 90 with a critical load on board.