Chev Express (slop bkt) fuse cover

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm almost embarrassed to admit this but do you think I could get the >~€€},€^} plastic cover off (the one under the hood) without breaking the two front plastic tabs?
There was no way they wanted to release. The back two were fine. Ugh
Any tips would be appreciated.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Yes they are a pain in the #@#@. I use a very small screw driver on mine but I must admit one of them is broken and I use the famous 100 mph tape on it. Put them in a great spot didn't they???:mad:

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
300 k miles and first time a fuse blew (bad iPhone charger). Why they didn't put the fuse for the lighter under the seat with those fuses is beyond me. Good idea about the duct tape, I'll have to do that lol

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Mine as also been broken for ...yea along time...just make sur it fits back on so no water gets int the fuse block itself and frogetaboutit....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I broke the cover on mine the first year I had it after blowing a fuse hooking to a friend's boat trailer. I used duct tape to hold and seal the cover. Also on mine, a 2004, GM routed the power steering hose directly over the top of the fuse box. In 2007 I had the fuse box replaced for free under Special Policy Adjustment # 07095.

I also broke the cover for the under the seat fuse box. That one just rests loosely on top of the box. For you non GM van owners, yes you did read that correctly; the under the seat fuse box.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I feel happy knowing that Moot and I have both broken the same part. And I have no idea why :eek:

goslow

Seasoned Expediter
300 k miles and first time a fuse blew (bad iPhone charger). Why they didn't put the fuse for the lighter under the seat with those fuses is beyond me. Good idea about the duct tape, I'll have to do that lol

Woa there chief the cigar lighter does not have a fuse. It has a heat sink you have to replace the whole lighter, about 11.00 at dealer. stick your finger in it and twist it left and right it will spin and then you can pull it out. Just unplug the connector and plug the new one in. This applies to the cigar lighter next to the steering wheel left side under radio. The power port is on the right side under the dash vents and that one does have the fuse under the hood. The cover is a 2 piece and as others have stated it is a pain in buttock to get out.

p.s. to get the cigar lighter socket out twist it slowly and pull, you will feel it unlock and slide out a little after that happens spin it again slowly while pulling and the second notch will line up with the hole and the socket will come out. The socket has two notches 180 degrees apart and the dash only has 1 cut out. You will know if your socket is bad if the base (connector piece) is lose and spinning
because it is not attached 100% to the metal socket. You will see the new socket is all solid when new now spinning or jiggling. Hopes this helps ya!!

Last edited:

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's weird because neither of them were working and I replaced just the one fuse (20 amp) and both work. Oh well lol.

goslow

Seasoned Expediter
That's weird because neither of them were working and I replaced just the one fuse (20 amp) and both work. Oh well lol.

well thats cool. I had the lighter socket go out on my 06 and thought it was just a fuse. Went to the dealer and they explained how the lighter socket has a heat sink and when it gets to hot it melts away and loses the connection. I use to charge my acer on the lighter socket and it would get really hot and melt the sink. I have replaced it 4 times before I got wise enough and changed laptops and wired a 12v socket directly to my deep cycles. Glad to see ya got it fixed.