Chef Dennis's New CargoMax

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
What 10 grand saving? There is only a 3-4 tho difference in price and then there is all this talk of changing out gearing which comes with a cost....

If ya want to be like sprinter BUY a sprinter...make the commitment instead of being a sprinter wanna be...IMO

Oh man, OUCH!:D

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Gonna order my Sprinter in Friday. Here is the break down. 2011 170 ext. Premium pkg, cargo pkg, high center of gravity suspension pkg, dual rear springs. Drive it out the door $43978. $3700 off list. Going to take about 3 months. Just in time for me to be released from the doc for my leg.

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When I was looking at vans and bought mine the difference between gas and diesel was about $6500-6800 not $3-4k.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The difference between the new 09 CargoMax and the new 10 diesel was almost 10K. I really like the Sprinter but there are a few things that I am not crazy about. So we made the choice that seems the best for our needs. I'm more of a mudder than a sprinter. The gear change isn't a deal breaker, I've stripped my gears many times.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
The difference between the new 09 CargoMax and the new 10 diesel was almost 10K. I really like the Sprinter but there are a few things that I am not crazy about. So we made the choice that seems the best for our needs. I'm more of a mudder than a sprinter. The gear change isn't a deal breaker, I've stripped my gears many times.

So are you getting the Cargo Max?? And if you are, from Oh??

Monty

Expert Expediter
•2011 Express 3500 Cutaway 159” WB DRW
•6.0L Vortec V8 Gas Engine
•3.73 Ratio Rear Axle
•Shipping Weight 7,725 Lbs
•Cargo Weight Capacity 2,575 Lbs
•GVWR 10,000 Lbs

That's not so good ..... I am now considering a Sprinter 3500 with the wheel wells modified ... the 170" extended.

Cargo weight is upwards of 3900 pounds ...

With a 30" bunk behind the seat and bulkhead, I can do 3 pallets, have 12 feet of cargo, (for pipe and such)

And no, I wont build it myself, Midway Conversions can do it a hellva lot nicer than I can.

Now, to talk to the CFO and see what SHE says! :D

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Nota, the specs you just posted above are for the ULTRAMAXX, not the Cargo Max..2 different trucks, built by 2 different companies...I'll be more then happy to show you my CAT Scale weight slip f5rom tthe Pilot on I 75 and Alexis rd in Toledo Ohio that showes my empty weight at 6600 lbs...and it is a 10,000 gvw SRW...But the chassis is rated at 12,300 GVW,,,so if I want to, I can run up to 5700 lbs payload...not legally per the 10,000 lb door sticker, but the chassis will handle it...

And the above specs for the UltraMaxx. if you look at their site, are the same for the SRW and the DRW....how does that happen??

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
•3.73 Ratio Rear Axle
•GVWR 10,000 Lbs

That's not so good ..... I am now considering a Sprinter 3500 with the wheel wells modified ... the 170" extended.

Cargo weight is upwards of 3900 pounds ...

With a 30" bunk behind the seat and bulkhead, I can do 3 pallets, have 12 feet of cargo, (for pipe and such)

And no, I wont build it myself, Midway Conversions can do it a hellva lot nicer than I can.

Now, to talk to the CFO and see what SHE says! :D

IMO Midway builds a cheap sleeper...and you'll lose a lot of load capacity..particle board is heavy...see if they can use a different material.....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
•3.73 Ratio Rear Axle
•GVWR 10,000 Lbs

That's not so good .....

It gets even worse. 10,000 - 7,725 = 2275 lbs. Add about 200 lbs. for fuel, weight of driver(s), E-track, etc. to the curb weight and the cargo weight capacity is well below 1,700 pounds.

Monty

Expert Expediter
I'm not disputing ya Dennis, I was just going what I found. I'll do some more checking on the other brand.

And I like the Midway .... heavy as it is. If I get the 3500, I will have the sleeper built the way I wish ... that steel channel they use for the bunk is truly too heavy!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not disputing ya Dennis, I was just going what I found. I'll do some more checking on the other brand.

And I like the Midway .... heavy as it is. If I get the 3500, I will have the sleeper built the way I wish ... that steel channel they use for the bunk is truly too heavy!

That is fine...all I am saying is Bentz has been working with Fedex on composite materials to lighten up their BR units...It might be worth looking into...

Monty

Expert Expediter
Due to demands by customers like Fedex, (ground), they are offering the 9900 configuration once more in the 3500

Additional: I just spoke to Ben Cornwell at Stoops, Dayton, they have several of the Sprinter, 170" extended, 3500's at 9900 pounds in inventory now.

(btw, my wife says "No!" to me purchasing one, she retires in December and plans to do some traveling .. and not in a Spinter!)

She's an old grouch!

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The 6600 lb scale weight surprised me...i was figuring 7000-7200 lb...when you look I took the pass seat and the bulkhead out and cut it to the opening I wanted and i also took the big heavy side door step off, that thing ran the complete length of both side door and was 10 inchs wide and had to weigh 125 lbs...now I am not saying that the van weighs 6600 after it has all my "stuff" in it..but i just ran from Marion Ala to Shelby township Mich with 2844 lbs in here and you couldn't tell it was there and the ride really was not bad at all...if only I could say the same for the weather I drove through and all would have been good!!! :eek:

Now if Mama is goin with you, I really don't see you taken the pass seat out so that will cost maybe 70 lbs but not much more..and if you think "She's an old grouch" now, try and tell her she has to sit on the floor!!! :D

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok,not much work has been done to the van since I wet in service, but I now am in Laredo and it is HOT!! it Is 98 right now and suppose to be 101 tommorow and 105 on Sunday...

Soooo...I now have a new 10,000 BTU window shaker AC Unit stuck in the pass door window!!! It is set at 60 and workin its tail off but it is gettin cool in here...So if it works down here, i have no doubt it will cool the van off anywhere else..

Oh and right now it is coolong the whole van...within a few weeks i hope to have the "curtain" made and up to seperate the 1st 6 ft of the cargo area from the back 8 ft...so when thats done, the AC unit will work even better!! :D

Here are a few pics:

Attachments

• IM000275.jpg
    IM000275.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 190
  • IM000276.jpg
    IM000276.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 183
  • IM000277.jpg
    IM000277.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 179
  • IM000278.jpg