Chain,Chain,Chain..

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
CHAINS !!,

I have NO experience with chains, being of the school of thought, that if its bad enough to chain up, its bad enough to get off the road. Im going to give the idea of chaining up another chance this year. Some questions for those of you who know :

1. How fast can you drive with chains on ? Highway speeds ? Do you take them off immediately upon encountering dry pavement?

2. Ive seen chains in bags @ some truck stops for sale..are these any good ? or just a way for truck to be legal ?

3. Ive also seen "cable" type chains ( no chains but wire cable) are these any good ?

Any advice on chains is appreciated thanks <

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
CHAINS !!,

I have NO experience with chains, being of the school of thought, that if its bad enough to chain up, its bad enough to get off the road. Im going to give the idea of chaining up another chance this year. Some questions for those of you who know :

1. How fast can you drive with chains on ? Highway speeds ? Do you take them off immediately upon encountering dry pavement?

2. Ive seen chains in bags @ some truck stops for sale..are these any good ? or just a way for truck to be legal ?

3. Ive also seen "cable" type chains ( no chains but wire cable) are these any good ?

Any advice on chains is appreciated thanks <

as a general rule,25-30 mph max. Most places that have regular need for chains will tell you when to put them on and when they are no longer needed. You will tend to see where everyone is chaining and unchaining.
The best thing to do is research online. Truck stops are over priced. Don't forget tensioners of one style or another.
Cable's are not considered legal in many states, you will be better off with real chains.
One more reminder, some states require that you have chains as of sept 1 to legally operate in their state, and Washington State requires that you carry two sets.

Once you get them practice, on a warm dry day. Put them on 3 to 4 times or until you feel confident that you can do it on the side of the road in foul weather.

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
as a general rule,25-30 mph max. Most places that have regular need for chains will tell you when to put them on and when they are no longer needed. You will tend to see where everyone is chaining and unchaining.
The best thing to do is research online. Truck stops are over priced. Don't forget tensioners of one style or another.
Cable's are not considered legal in many states, you will be better off with real chains.
One more reminder, some states require that you have chains as of sept 1 to legally operate in their state, and Washington State requires that you carry two sets.

Once you get them practice, on a warm dry day. Put them on 3 to 4 times or until you feel confident that you can do it on the side of the road in foul weather.

Good info..thanks. Is the tensioner seperate, or included (attached to the chains ) ?

moose

Veteran Expediter
I would say, don't bothered buying, until you get a load west.
till then, find someone to practice with, and search online, there are some good video's on Utube and some safety sites .
then find a way to PRACTICE installing at least once in a nice weather, you can place the truck on the lawn to stimulate some snow. that practice will save a lot of frozen fingers time later on. once you are offered a load to states that required carry on chain, buy the needed bags along the way, make sure you buy the right size for your tires, and don't forget to chain up the steering wheel. meanwhile, educate yourself which states they are. normally 25MPH, and chaining is EZ, and driving with chains is a breeze. one good advice is if ever needs to chain up, chaining up 2 trucks by 2 truckers is WAY quicker then chaining up by yourself. i found that approaching other truckers for help on the slope works real well.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Question: Is the use of chains mainly a Western States thing? I ask because of the fact that the OP is from Michigan, and it occurred to me earlier that Michigan (and Northwest Indiana) are two areas I might encounter "chain weather". That's Lake Effect Snow territory, and I've seen and heard of it getting nasty there.

I haven't had anything West of the Missouri/Kansas State Line to speak of, except one run to Sioux Falls SD this past summer. About that: It occurs to me that chains would just add weight on that trip if I get it during the winter, if conditions get bad enough the state of Minnesota closes the Interstate-- I've seen the gates, and that's the only thing they could be for.

So, are chains required East of the Mississippi?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The other bit of advice is do not buy chinese made chains.

If you don't have the money to buy a good set, don't take loads out west.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I spent 10 years chaining up in the Northwest mountains nightly sometimes several times a night while pulling joints, 2-3 trailers.
1.) Don't drive on dry pavement for extended periods, like more than a mile.
2.) Don't exceed 30mph. Best at about 25, chains last longer.
3.) Don't buy chains in bags, they come from China and don't last at all. Buy American chains.
4.) More expensive but better on ice is the cross lug chains. That's the type that cross over on the tires tread making an X. They advertise them on OOIDA.
If you want to speed up hanging chains get a 1/2 inch drive rachet and a 9/16 socket. Cut the end off the chain key about two inchs from the end. Stick it in the 9/16 socket and weld it. When you go to clip your chain locks you have a rachet key that will tighten chains faster and tighter than just using using a key. Keep that tool under the drivers seat so you can grab it on your way out of the truck.
When I ran the passes I could chain up in 20 minutes hanging two sets of three railers and two trailer drag chains. With practice its not hard but do not wait till you hit the ice and snow, practice makes perfect;).
One other note. When you install your chains, pull up about 10 feet and retighten. Loose chains break faster.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Another bit of advice, when you are on the shoulder installing your chains, be aware of trucks passing close by you.

I found out from experience that alot of truckers install chains that are partially broken, and those broken sections are flailing around causing a dangerous situation for someone on the side of the road.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Good advice from purgoose. Have a headlamp. Thermal waterproof pants. Use short burgers. 9-10". Have a bucket all your stuff is in. Take the bucket to each axle. Have a container of snowmelt. Reflective vest. Spray paint your tools with neon paint for when they fall in the snow. Insulated gloves. Bright color. Glasses on string because they will fall off while chaining into the snow. All experiences by yours truly.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Good advice from purgoose. Have a headlamp. Thermal waterproof pants. Use short burgers. 9-10". Have a bucket all your stuff is in. Take the bucket to each axle. Have a container of snowmelt. Reflective vest. Spray paint your tools with neon paint for when they fall in the snow. Insulated gloves. Bright color. Glasses on string because they will fall off while chaining into the snow. All experiences by yours truly.

Neon paint that's a great idea. Could have used that a few times. And yes a good pair of Carhart insulated coveralls. I used to drive with them on and the tops pulled down around my waist. When running the passes, you chain up going up and pull chains when you get down. I've gone through Cabbage, North powder, Ladd and chained 5 times in a couple of hours. That's truckin.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"If its bad enough to chain up, its bad enough to get off the road."

Words to live by. :D

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I third the motion on arctic coveralls. While everyone else is standing around deciding whether they're going to do what they are going to have to do, I'm getting dressed. You can work a whole lot quicker when it's comfortable lying on the ground.

Remember chains are for getting through the bad stuff. You aren't going to be making a delivery on chains. Out west you're chaining up to get through a mountain pass. In the east if there is that much snow you're looking at hundreds of miles of the stuff, so instead of looking for a place to chain up you may as well be looking for a place to park.

eb

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Good info..thanks. Is the tensioner seperate, or included (attached to the chains ) ?

they are seperate, there are many types. I have a set made by the chain company that have 5 springs on a loop of chain that work great. Others like the octopus bungee, and yet others are happy with black bungees.

I will say however that I don't have the need to chain often as I have On-Spot auto chains on the truck and LOVE them. Worth every dime imho...chains only a flip of a switch away...priceless

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looks like I got my answer, anyway. Everything I've had up to now has been East, with a run to Sioux Falls and Kansas City, Kansas thrown in just for odd stuff. I reckon I'll save the money I might have spent on chains and just look for a "hurricane hole" when the weather turns nasty.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
there is a compamy that has a good cable chain,much easier to put on.I use to carry chains,only because it was the law,but I dont put them on.Like was mentioned chainlaw spells Holiday Inn

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Chain, chain, chain "chain of noobs"...Mama told me not to drive in sleet, but if you do take your foot off the pedal and take it easy!