Carrier Setup with New 3PL / Broker

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Are you trying to rereinvent the wheel? The only bad part is feeling rushed to read a lengthy contract if time is of the essence. Fax, email whatever works can be accomplished no problem from the cab of a truck.
Yeah, there's a reason carriers and brokers don't make it brain-dead simple to sign on with them. They don't want to make it all that easy for brain-dead drivers to flood their ranks.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Yeah, there's a reason carriers and brokers don't make it brain-dead simple to sign on with them. They don't want to make it all that easy for brain-dead drivers to flood their ranks.

Are you saying they are complicating the simple? :cool:

Freightenstein

Rookie Expediter
Are you trying to rereinvent the wheel? The only bad part is feeling rushed to read a lengthy contract if time is of the essence. Fax, email whatever works can be accomplished no problem from the cab of a truck.

I don't think necessarily "rereinventing" the wheel. I just have observed the following:

- Carrier Setup Packet PDF Sent to Carrier (E-mail)
- Carrier Setup Packet PDF Printed and completed by hand (Faxed or Scanned E-mail back)
- Carrier Setup Packet reviewed by broker ensuring all fields have been completed
- Contact carrier about missing fields (initials, zip code, etc.)
- Carrier Setup Packet sent back (E-mail/Fax)
- Carrier Setup Packet reviewed by broker ensuring all fields have been completed
- Contact carrier about document missing page 6 (Phone)
- Carrier Setup Packet reviewed by broker
- Contact carrier about document only including page 6, but legally must be in a single document
- Carrier Setup Packet reviewed by broker
- Contact carrier about missing authority and insurance documents
- Carrier acquires and sends missing documents

The average number of contacts between a broker/rep and carrier regarding the Carrier Setup Packet is 6.

The average time to receive a Carrier Setup Packet entirely completed is 6 hours.

The maximum time to receive a Carrier Setup Packet entirely completed is 3-4 days.

From my perspective these are all struggles and opportunities to streamline the process and simplify it for both carriers and brokers. I think the online portal is the best solution for that and would reduce the number of faxes, manual audits, phone calls, e-mails, and overall management of the process.

There is a cost associated with carrier's time, carrier's frustration, broker's time, and faxes. If we have an opportunity to reduce those costs then I would like to take advantage of it.

Freightenstein

Rookie Expediter

I definitely hope we aren't putting unnecessary roadblocks or hurdles to our setup process. I want to connect the minimum information necessary to make an informed decision on this carrier meeting our criteria from a safety and liability perspective.

I do not think that challenges with technology or clerical work necessary correlates with safe, qualified and effective drivers. I want to simplify the sign up to give more time for drivers to do what they do best, which is drive.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Quickest and easiest way to reduce those costs is once you hit Step 4, reject the carrier. If they can't fill out paperwork completely and correctly the first time around, you really don't want them hauling your freight. :D

Freightenstein

Rookie Expediter
Quickest and easiest way to reduce those costs is once you hit Step 4, reject the carrier. If they can't fill out paperwork completely and correctly the first time around, you really don't want them hauling your freight. :D

That would definitely be one way of screening, but what can I say I want to give everyone benefit of the doubt and make it as simple as possible. Paperwork is just not for some people, especially while you're out on the road. I still believe they could be a great carrier even with some clerical challenges. :)

RoadHouse

Active Expediter
Mostly, setting up a new carrier is not a fifteen minute process. That carrier who set me up in 15 minutes was taking a big risk with his customers freight. He actually called me on the phone to check me out (he claimed that he can get a vibe from carriers if he talks to their operations department before he gives them a load). I was a bit rushed to read he contract too. All ended well and I made a customer that gave me a lot of repeat business. There is a lot involved with setting up a new partner carrier. Insurance certificates need to be send to the carrier by your insurance company listing the carrier as an additional insured. Then that carrier needs to look up your carrier's status on the safer web system. That is why it takes a day, or even up to a week to get set up with the bigger carriers. They have to verify all of your information before they will do business with you. There is no real way to automate this. Sure, you can send over your insurance cert, or whatever information you have like your carriers certificate of operating authority, but that doesn't mean your carrier info and status is current and up to date. Partner carriers will always have to run a manual check on your company before they do business with you. It's called due diligence. Only the desperate and shady carriers/brokers will add you as a partner carrier without checking you out first. That is just my advice on the matter!