Cargo Van Owners opinion

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
Ok, here's what I would like to know. How much $ would you spend before buying new van?
I have 2006 2500 extended, 4.8, auto. 408,000 miles. I run about 110,000 miles a year. Engine has death rattle in it. Also trans is getting to need rebuilt.
I have been looking at prices, mileage warrenty, etc.
4.8 engine, I can get 4 year unlimited warrenty $2,899 parts
trans is 3 year warrenty $2,566 parts
and going to do complete brake job on the ole van at same time.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok, here's what I would like to know. How much $ would you spend before buying new van?
I have 2006 2500 extended, 4.8, auto. 408,000 miles. I run about 110,000 miles a year. Engine has death rattle in it. Also trans is getting to need rebuilt.

It is the little things that kill CV's profit....what are YOUR thoughts about your van once those 2 major items are addressed?....you are planning maybe to invest over 6K to bring it to par....Do YOU think you can recover that 6k in enough time? Are YOU or do you feel comfortable with your van?...

Changing vans can be real expensive as well....new insulating, downtime...

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner

What do you mean by death rattle?

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is the rest of the van reasonably sound? If it is, go ahead and spend the money on this one. If there's electrical problems, rust and a bunch of problems coming up, replace the van.
Thanks for the price-check, by the way. It gives me an idea of what I could be facing when major components go. In my case, though, it's a slam-dunk that the entire van will be replaced if something major needs replacing, it's a '98 with the 5.7 engine, and while the prices won't be dramatically more than yours the fact is that this machine has a lot of years and parts will become hard to come by later. Fortunately it's still holding together well enough at the moment.

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
Very low oil pressure, only get up to 20psi at most.

After driving new 2011 2500 extended, yes I do feel good with my van. With added income I will be able to make up the cost well within a year. Down time for this work would be less than 2 weeks, which includes ordering parts.

guido4475

Not a Member
Are you happy with the van in general? The amount of freight you can haul? The amount of room it gives you for sleeping/waiting for a load? Would something bigger that can haul 3 skids be more profitable for you, and you're carrier?

Are you ready to be bound by a payment? Especially in these uncertain and unstable times?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Very low oil pressure, only get up to 20psi at most.

After driving new 2011 2500 extended, yes I do feel good with my van. With added income I will be able to make up the cost well within a year. Down time for this work would be less than 2 weeks, which includes ordering parts.

have checked out the oil pump or pick up unit?.....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Six grand to fix, or thirty five grand for a new one. Hhhhmmmm. Tough call.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would check your local auto salvage yard. 4.8 are cheap and they can install it for you and they usually give some kind of warranty. Your looking at putting more into the van then it's worth with that mileage. Just my opinion.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

A few years back I had the same problem. I dropped it off @ GMC in Columbia and told them new engine and transmission call me when it's done (the short of it). It costs me $5k. That was a new GM engine and reman transmission and a new battery. Got a 3 yr 50k mile warranty. No muss no fuss. After that I started doing them myself but still buying the engine, saved a grand in labor but I think maybe the grand would be worth it now. That was a 6.0 engine.

That was about 5 yrs ago. More money now.

If you have what you call the death rattle, it's probably more than an oil pump. That many miles R&R the engine or end up with a tow bill and an out of town reman.

Might also ad if done by a GM dealer you have a nationwide warranty vs. a local one.

Last edited:

Dat1stChoice

Active Expediter
I'm with billg27, with that mileage, you could be just around the corner from a lot of other minor maintenance. (which adds up) If the van seems fine other than the issues you're looking to fix, then it might be worth it. MIGHT...depending on the age of your unit. (some carriers don't like older units)

If you've been on top of all the other issues, then you should be ok. 6k vs 35k is a HUGE difference, but you have to look at the over all vehicle as well. We've got 200k on a E250 with LOTS of city miles, so we're going to replace it when it dies. (Saves a headache for us)

If that price is just parts, who's doing the labor, and at what rate? Does the warranty still apply if you do it yourself? That is something else to think about. One other thing....a new engine/transmission will only help you at trade in, if you keep all the documentation, and then only MAYBE. 6k is alot to spend, but might be better in the long run.......

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
I second that. Is the rest of the engine healthy? If it is, a new oil pump may be all that's needed.

Local shops (3) said no to doing just pump

I'm with billg27, with that mileage, you could be just around the corner from a lot of other minor maintenance. (which adds up) If the van seems fine other than the issues you're looking to fix, then it might be worth it. MIGHT...depending on the age of your unit. (some carriers don't like older units)

If you've been on top of all the other issues, then you should be ok. 6k vs 35k is a HUGE difference, but you have to look at the over all vehicle as well. We've got 200k on a E250 with LOTS of city miles, so we're going to replace it when it dies. (Saves a headache for us)

If that price is just parts, who's doing the labor, and at what rate? Does the warranty still apply if you do it yourself? That is something else to think about. One other thing....a new engine/transmission will only help you at trade in, if you keep all the documentation, and then only MAYBE. 6k is alot to spend, but might be better in the long run.......

Rest of van is in top shape, well except for the GM paint issue on the hood. I have a local shop doing the work. he quoted 1 week and $900 to do just the engine. We havent sit down and talked about the rest of the work. That will be done within the next 2 weeks.

Dat1stChoice

Active Expediter
Doing it yourself would save probably 2 grand. (labor for trans/engine/brakes) Overall you're looking at closer to 8k for the work you want done. Still alot cheaper than buying a new unit. If the only other issue you're having is the typical peeling GM paint...I'd say go for it. Just my opinion though.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If three local shops said it was more than just the pump, then I would guess the engine is pretty well fried. Still, if the rest of the van is sound I would replace the engine/tranny in half a heartbeat. In our business, the resale issue is a non-starter anyway, the question is do you think you can get a decent ROI on what you're putting into this vehicle, or would the money be better spent on a newer/lower mileage van.

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
If three local shops said it was more than just the pump, then I would guess the engine is pretty well fried. Still, if the rest of the van is sound I would replace the engine/tranny in half a heartbeat. In our business, the resale issue is a non-starter anyway, the question is do you think you can get a decent ROI on what you're putting into this vehicle, or would the money be better spent on a newer/lower mileage van.

Yes to ROI, right now I'm driving company van, when mine gets runnin again I'll triple the mileage pay.
example: 400.00 week now will go up to 1200.00 week. our freight is steady year a round with very little in slow downs.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As a former dealer tech here is my advice.
At over 400,000 the van miles at best is worth $ 500.00 at auction If its solid R/R the trans and engine, probably wouldnt be a bad idea to check the drive axle as well at least the bearings.
If you have a shop other than a GM dealership do the trans and drive axle work make sure you use a shop that is ATRA certified and they are currently affiliated. You will have a nationwide warrantee, the shops have to follow high quality standards, and keep up to date on the training. Specify you want Castroll Transynd this is the same fluid in the allison transmissions and is made for the beating we put on our vehicals and will not evaporate. And as for oil start with dino lube untill after the break in oil changes. Then synthetic and stay with it.
I run it in my C/V and my womans dodge minivan daily driver with good results.
Besides, by now you know what you like and cant stand about the engine and drive train maby upgrade to a 5.7 and an allison 2000. Last time you will do the R/R at least on the trans.

Any questions feel free to send a PM or give me a phone call.

Good luck.
Bob Wolf.