border crossing

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
Can anyone tell me about their experience crossing into or out of Canada through New York? I have only crossed at Detroit and Port Huron, and I was wondering how the one in New York (by Buffalo...not sure what it's called) compares to Detroit? Is it anything the same? Thanks!

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Last time I crossed up by Buffalo was right after 9/11 Took 5 hours to cross in to Canada and 7 hours to come back into the states. I haven't Been Back since.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones
Home is Wherever you Park.
The Price of Freedom is Written on the Wall.

buckeyewildman

Seasoned Expediter
i been back and force at Buffalo many times in last 3 years usally faster then Detroit and in my experience much freindlier

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Can anyone tell me about their experience crossing into or
>out of Canada through New York? I have only crossed at
>Detroit and Port Huron, and I was wondering how the one in
>New York (by Buffalo...not sure what it's called) compares
>to Detroit? Is it anything the same? Thanks!

Buffalo and Niagara Falls are less busy the Detroit-Windsor.
The drill is the same at both crossings...fax the PARS to the correct Canadian Customs Broker as early as you can.
The highway to Toronto is the QUEEN ELIZABETH WAY. There is construction through St Catharines and through Oakville. Depending on where you are going in the GTA; Highway 403 from Oakville (it diverges at the large Ford plant) could be a good way to get to the north Mississauga area. Traffic on the QEW can be heavy at times.

There will be a delay on weekends going and coming to the USA from Canadian cross border shoppers.
There are several websites that will show the level of delay at the two brisges.

There are several truck stops between the border and Hamilton but few truck services between Hamilton and Toronto.

I hope this helps.

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My last crossings were in the 2005/2006 era. Have crossed numerous times at Buffalo, going in to Canada as well as coming out, had no problems what so ever and do not recall any times longer than 30 minutes at the longest.. If you are going to cross here, when you get on I-190 going towards the bridge, just as you clear the toll booth there is a gas station just off the exit. That is the last one I know of before going into Canada.

Also if you are going further up NE Canada, I have crossed up around the 1,000 Island area (don't recall the exact name of the Canadian Customs site, but if you head up North as far as you can go on I-81 and keep going North it will take you over the bridge. Having crossed here both coming and going, there was hardly any delay what so ever. In all cases they were very professional and easy to deal with.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
The NY borders seem to go much quicker and smoother for us than the Detroit border. 2 of my trucks just came through the Buffalo border this week and didn't have any problems or holdups.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
>Can anyone tell me about their experience crossing into or
>out of Canada through New York? I have only crossed at
>Detroit and Port Huron, and I was wondering how the one in
>New York (by Buffalo...not sure what it's called) compares
>to Detroit? Is it anything the same? Thanks!

That is the Fort Erie,Ont.crossing,and yes it is basically the same as the Detroit crossing including the arrogant and abusive attitudes of the U.S. border agents.DD.