Best motor for c/v for expediting?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Having spent over 2 years working in Japan, I do remember hearing of this done to passenger cars there. One of the supply managers at CAT was a big car audio nut and I do know he swore it made his car sound quality, better. Weird that OEM isn't involved in the technology.

This will also enhance your radios, both CB and Serious. On-board TV's receive better etc,etc,etc.
The man that started Sun product's has a patent on 4 Japanese race engines.

I'm getting carried away better stop for now.
Everyone have a Great Christmas and a Prosperous New Year's.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well I don't know if a test like that would be a valid thing without actually using test gear for before and after testing, like a dyno and some way to read the ECM (not the typical down loadable software) and maybe in some cases fuel flow monitoring.

I think a sprinter is a great way to prove it, it is a German vehicle which has a lot of engineering behind it from years of production. If find someone willing to hand over their sprinter, and then you contact abittenbinder (aka Doktor A) in Pittsburgh from sprinter-source.com to help with the installation and testing, then I can say this is a test backed by someone who knows the vehicle.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Merry Christmas.

The best way to run a test is with a vehicle that has GPS and can give a performance report, (ie) fuel mileage etc.

Bluto1234

Seasoned Expediter
Those sound like the automotive equivalent of the bracelets that golfers wear.

2005 E350, I use Fuel Optimizer which increases MPG by 24% (Improve gas mileage, increase horsepower, and maximize fuel economy with the Fuel OptiMiser fuel saver!) Amsoil lubricants and additives, Hyper-grounding, modified power chip, Global mileage booster (better MPG by 20% @ Global mileage Booster - Increase Fuel Economy Up To 20%, Reduce Toxic Emissions more than 30%!) the iFuel Nano attachment (20% increase in MPG @ Improve Gas Mileage- A Fuel Saving Device That Really Works!), nitrogen tire inflation, windows closed all the time, steady 65 MPH, and a high performance K&N air cleaner. Plus I have one of those stupid farty sounding tailpipes that all the kids like to put on their cars these days.
Working great – only problem is I have to stop every 300 miles or so to drain the fuel tank.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The best way to run a test is with a vehicle that has GPS and can give a performance report, (ie) fuel mileage etc.

Not really, the best way to run the test is with good testing software that records all the right stuff form the ECM and allows the data to be charted in a coherent form. Not to mention that the testing should be done like they really do it in real world - with a plan.

Bluto1234

Seasoned Expediter
Not really, the best way to run the test is with good testing software that records all the right stuff form the ECM and allows the data to be charted in a coherent form. Not to mention that the testing should be done like they really do it in real world - with a plan.

Data from ECM, ESPECIALLY MPG calculations, are not actual. and are the computer's "best guess", and are as often as not way off. A vehicle with GPS and calculated fuel usage is far more accurate, as well as "real world"

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Data from ECM, ESPECIALLY MPG calculations, are not actual. and are the computer's "best guess", and are as often as not way off. A vehicle with GPS and calculated fuel usage is far more accurate, as well as "real world"

So please explain to us how a gps unit is to figure fuel consumption?

Never mind.

Here is how I was taught I should measure the fuel consumption - by using fuel flow meters and a totalizer.

I can detail my system if you want, it is pretty straight forward system that seems to work well with about a 1% accuracy.

The only thing I can see the GPS method (which is the fill the tank...drive...fill the tank again) good for is guessing but the accuracy is maybe 12% or maybe a bit less.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Working great – only problem is I have to stop every 300 miles or so to drain the fuel tank.

Thank you for the laugh Bluto! Great line!

Data from ECM, ESPECIALLY MPG calculations, are not actual. and are the computer's "best guess", and are as often as not way off.

I agree with Bluto. My ScanGauge shows average MPG as much a 2.5 miles per gallon more than my fill to fill calculation. I realize the fill to fill method isn't scientific and I don't have a totalizer. But I do have a calculator, almost 900,000 miles van driving which equates to approximately 2,734 fuel stops. I know what my fuel consumption is for any given month or year. Run that through your flow meter and totalize it!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
But Moot, the problem seems to be no one sees any substantial evidence from all these claims being thrown about on these fantastic products that are invented in backyards and in damp dusty basements that save fantastic amounts of fuel.

It is like the turbo3000 or the hydrogen generators being sold, the testing is rather like thrown chicken bones on a carpet to see where they land then saying there is a 12% improvement here or there when there isn't.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
But Moot, the problem seems to be no one sees any substantial evidence from all these claims being thrown about on these fantastic products that are invented in backyards and in damp dusty basements that save fantastic amounts of fuel.

It is like the turbo3000 or the hydrogen generators being sold, the testing is rather like thrown chicken bones on a carpet to see where they land then saying there is a 12% improvement here or there when there isn't.

Haven't you heard about the guy the invented a car that gets over 200 MPG, I think the auto manufactures/gas companies had him killed :rolleyes:

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I recomend the International / Ford Powerstroke as it has been proven durable reliable and enough power to handle anything thrown at it. Parts and service are easy to find so you dont need to get raped at the dealership, and if you want more power there are after market upgrades from Banks, Bullydog, and a couple others. It is easier to resell your vehicle with an engine that other tradesmen reconize such as construction contractors. In my construction days I never bought anything I knew I had to spend all day finding parts, or overpaying because it was only dealer product. Also think of why the powerstroke is exclusively used on a Ford Chasis ambulance?.
Cummings is the only other engine that is compaiable to the powerstroke for the same reasons but keep in mind you are paying for cummings parts and service,you may be at a dealership more.
Milage depends on where and how you drive, as well as gearing in the transmision and drive axle
Anyhow thats my say Good Luck Hunting
Bob Wolf
Wolf Trucking.

Last edited: