Anyone tried the 19.5 tires on a van?

pb4ugo

Active Expediter
Talking about the conversion from Rickson truck and others. The increased load ability is appealing, as well as the extra life. That is, if users are truly getting extra life. Any experiences?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The increased load ability is appealing, as well as the extra life.

I've always run 245/75R16 on my vans. My GVWR is 9600 lbs. The GAWR for the front axle is 4300 lbs. and GAWR for the rear is 6048 lbs. My Firestone Transforce HT's are rated at 3042 lbs. for a single. I have a 155" wheelbase Chevy so I can place the load without going over on either axle. I don't exceed the GVWR so the increased load ability isn't appealing to me.

I easily average 116,000 on my Firestones. If going to a 19.5 were cost effective I might consider it. But factoring in the price of 5 new rims I doubt it. Before buying new 19.5 rims I would rather buy 16" aluminum wheels. The weight savings would be minimal but they look nice! I guess the same could be said about 19.5's if that's the look you are after. I run 22 inchers on my Escalade and Suburban.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok, I can't speak to the 19.5's or the longer tire life yet but, my SRW CargoMax starts life as a 12,300 lb gvw DRW Chevrolet Cut-away..CargoMax then change the DRW that are 16 in over to a SRW 17.5 rickson setup..then re-certify the chassis to 10,000 gvw...they can do that by moving to the 17.5 wheel and tire which as a 12 ply range at 3750 lb verse the factory 16 in. 6 ply rated at 2680....now GM use the 16's as a dual setup on the rear to get to the 12 ,300 gvw but if left as the tire on the srw, the load capacity wouldn't be there...

So yea the increase in load capacity is certainly there and while the rear tires make alot of noise (they are a M&S) they seem to be wearing good...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Talking about the conversion from Rickson truck and others. The increased load ability is appealing, as well as the extra life. That is, if users are truly getting extra life. Any experiences?

Had a set on my 3500 dodge which went with the truck when I sold it.

The increased load capacity is nice, the tire doesn't heat up and runs smooth.

The life is that of a truck tire, the owner of the dodge sold the set to another mutual friend and he got 275k out of the set.

The only problem with a van is the wheel wells may not be tall enough for them.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I would be concerned with ride quality if you are going with a narrower sidewall.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

idtrans

Expert Expediter
I saw a guy a few months back leased to lrt with a tall lift kit on his van and jumbo tires on it. The van looked wild. He had like a 4 or 6" lift on the van. But when they loaded him the van sat funny maybe he needs air bags for the van also. I thought it was a 4x4 van but no just rwd nothing special.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
My 10 model Chevy C/V came with 2.75/17.5. My older ones had 16's. I don't know if all the newer ones are like that or not.