Allison transmission

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
I noticed a very slight leak at the rear seal of the trans and was wondering if anyone out there
has had to replace their transmissions (Allison) rear seal and if so what kind of a price tag was it?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I don't know what if any kind of shop you have or have not but the rear seal is very easy to change yourself just mark the drive line so you put it back the same way.
Pull the yoke (it's keyed so it only goes back one way) pull the seal change it out. If you have more than 300K miles get the next size to compensate for the wear and tare.
If you go a shop shouldn't cost much only should take an hour, maybe $200-$300. Buy a seal and do it yourself $50.00.

I guess I should ad that if it's just a minor drip where you don't have to ad fluid, don't worry about it.

Last edited:

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the advice! it doesn't leak much at all and doesn't use fluid that I'm aware of...I just happened to notice that trans fluid has been washing away some grit and grime just under the
output shaft where I believe that seal lives.

Also I just had an engine swap and no telling if that leakage was due to it's being disturbed or not.

Thanks Again! I'll most likely have it replaced sometime down the road, I'd do it but I wouldn't have a warranty and wouldn't be able to claim my labor on my taxes.