Adding cruise control

Roadpilot

Expert Expediter
I am looking to purchase a used 2000 GMC Savana (G3500)6.5 diesel. The only problem is that it does not have cruise control. Anyone here ever added cruise control to a GM van (gas or diesel) or know of someone who has?

From other websites, I understand that GM wires all vehicles for cruise, adding it on is just a matter if changing the control stalk.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Many places sell after market cruse control units, and yes most vans are pre-wired. When I bought our last 2002 GMC it didn't have cruse, and I ask GMC if they would add it as part of the package, which they did. GMC also had the van under coated at a ziebart dealer who also installed the cruse unit.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You can’t install an after market cruise to a 6.5 TD. The 6.5 TD is drive by wire and has no throttle cable to install the aftermarket cruise control to.

If it does not have cruise, then you have to do a couple things to get it.

First is to find a used turn signal unit from a van (1997 to 2000) that has cruise or buy one from the dealer. Replace the original one with the new unit (you have to remove the steering wheel)and you should be able to use your new cruise. You can buy a new one from the dealer, which is 300 plus dollars or you can get it from GMPARTS.com or something like that. Remember the Gas part is the same part you need, so look in a junk yard (recycler). Oh yea, you don’t need the cruise module that the dealer will try to sell you. Everything is in the ECM under the dash.

AND

If after you install the new turn signal unit the cruise does not work, than you have to either go to the dealer or a company that does tuning to have the cruise option turned on in the ECM. Most of the Savannas with Diesels are fleet ordered, which means they did not come with cruise and the ECM was programmed with a fleet profile.

An alternative for cheap people is to add two switches to the dash, an on/off and a accelerate/decelerate switch. There are only four wires that are used for the cruise control.

Any questions, pm me with it with your email address so i can reply.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
That is some very good info Greg. Thanks for sharing that with us. Are you or were you a mechanic or sort?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>That is some very good info Greg. Thanks for sharing that
>with us. Are you or were you a mechanic or sort?

Well sort of, I did repair work on Mercedes, Ferraris and rolls when i was in highschool (had a great teacher ex ferrari machanic), was sent to Rolls (when they were a real company) to become a trained R-R mechanic and restored a lot of antique cars (Packards, Cadillacs and a few landrovers). There was good money to be made but eBay and a lot of other people ruined it for a lot of us.

Roadpilot

Expert Expediter
Thanks to all who replied. I didn't ( and I am not going to) buy the van in question. It drove OK, but it was more beat-up then I thought. I wasn't looking for perfect, but if I am going to buy a van, I am going to buy a new van or newer van.

I also drove the Sprinter before anything else. I know it's not perfect ( no vehicle is) but it fit me better and was more enjoyable to drive. If I could only swing the payments....

Come on Powerball!!!:)