A little Turtle trivia

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtles can breathe through their butts.
(I know some people like that, don't YOU?)
:D
Yes, it's true. Turtles have two special sets of respiratory muscles. One set pulls the body contents outward, toward the openings at the front and rear of the shell. This expands the body cavity and draws air into the lungs, which are located in the top part of the shell. The other pushes the viscera up against the lungs to expel the air. So, turtles can both inhale and exhale through either end, often both at the same time.

011116.gif

A group of turtles is not a "herd", but is actually a "bale" of turtles.

Turtles are also an excellent source of salmonella.

Turtles have tiny ears, which is why turtle wax is so expensive.

Turtles use shellphones.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Yes, it's true. Turtles have two special sets of respiratory muscles. One set pulls the body contents outward, toward the openings at the front and rear of the shell. This expands the body cavity and draws air into the lungs, which are located in the top part of the shell. The other pushes the viscera up against the lungs to expel the air. So, turtles can both inhale and exhale through either end, often both at the same time.

011116.gif

A group of turtles is not a "herd", but is actually a "bale" of turtles.

Turtles are also an excellent source of salmonella.

Turtles have tiny ears, which is why turtle wax is so expensive.

Turtles use shellphones.

I saw this little bit of trivia in a E-mail and instantly thought of you Turtle ;)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I dunno. Maybe. I once cracked a couple of ribs. Went to the ER where they took x-rays. The x-ray technician had trouble reading the pictures. Had to confer with the doctor to figure it all out. They pointed out to me what was causing the difficulty in seeing what they wanted to see. Basically, it was, "See this and this and this? This is all feces, which turns normally dark areas on an x-ray into lighter areas, which prevents clearly seeing the breaks in the ribs."

I just looked at them and calmly said, "Well, now we have photographic evidence of what people have seen saying about me all along."

They both cracked up.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, it was the lower ribs, but I was still pretty full, I guess. :D