17.4x mpg on gasoline

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I just completed two jobs totaling 1452 miles. Both were light, about 300 pounds each. Both were run primarily with cruise control at about 68mph. The mpg, calculated from odometer and receipt numbers, ran from 17.41 to 17.48 mpg. I did not do an overall but it would obviously be 17.4x.

I'm sure I could have done a little better at 62mph but had to do 600 miles per day for 2 days and wanted to get it over with. I have 74k miles on my van so I suspect it's as broken in as it will get and this is where it's going to stand. I am satisfied with that as my numbers are all run based on a 16mpg estimate. Combining this with the fsc being paid my fuel cost out of pocket is less than a nickel a mile with one purchase being 0.96 cents per mile when I found a $329.9 station.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It is always great to find the deals on fuel, I was in Roswell, NM and their gas was $3.169 at one station and I bought diesel @ $3.479, I would imagine they must be lower now that prices have come down since I was there.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Do you have Airtabs on there? If not, then adding them may very well get you to 18.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
air tabs work that well? i have seen them on mant trucks. guess either they work or there a pain in the butt to peel off....haha..

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
air tabs work that well? i have seen them on mant trucks. guess either they work or there a pain in the butt to peel off....haha..
Yeah, they do. They'll get you between 2% and 4% fuel savings, which equates to turning 17.5 MPG into somewhere between 17.85 and 18.2 MPG.

It reduces drag, which reduces wind resistance, and as a side benefit keeps the wet road spray more down behind you and out of your mirrors (and more off the windshields of those behind you), and keeps the rear doors much cleaner. Also in a van (and maybe a straight truck, I'm not sure) when a big truck passes you by on the Interstate, the tendency to get blown off the road is greatly reduced.

If you have a box with right angles on the back, the difference can be rather dramatic. If you have a van, or in particular a Sprinter like I do, which starts curving instead of having those right angles, the difference isn't as dramatic, but still significant.

At a 4% fuel savings, they pay for themselves very quickly.

If you apply them properly to a pristinely clean surface, they can be tough to peel off, though they will pry off with relative ease if done according to the directions (so they say, I've not yet tried it). Main thing is that they don't come flying off on their own as you drive down the road. I've had mine on the Sprinter for 4 years I think, and only two have come off, both when someone at a truck wash caught them juuuust right with a long handled brush and the popped right off. Other than that, they are pretty well fixed and solid.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

I would not own a truck w/out them. Everything Turtle stated plus helps keep the back door clean in the winter. Really helps when truckers blow by you.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I just completed two jobs totaling 1452 miles. Both were light, about 300 pounds each. Both were run primarily with cruise control at about 68mph. The mpg, calculated from odometer and receipt numbers, ran from 17.41 to 17.48 mpg. I did not do an overall but it would obviously be 17.4x.

I'm sure I could have done a little better at 62mph but had to do 600 miles per day for 2 days and wanted to get it over with. I have 74k miles on my van so I suspect it's as broken in as it will get and this is where it's going to stand. I am satisfied with that as my numbers are all run based on a 16mpg estimate. Combining this with the fsc being paid my fuel cost out of pocket is less than a nickel a mile with one purchase being 0.96 cents per mile when I found a $329.9 station.

What type C/Van is this from???

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have an 09 Chevrolet G3500 extended with the 6.0L, 4sp automatic and 3.42 gears. It turns 2k rpm at 68mph. I do not have Airtabs yet but will probably get them at the expo.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I have an 09 Chevrolet G3500 extended with the 6.0L, 4sp automatic and 3.42 gears. It turns 2k rpm at 68mph. I do not have Airtabs yet but will probably get them at the expo.

I thought so, I run a 10 model with a 3.73 gear, get close to the same thing. My driver loves it.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's a good question. No change. I may have 3.73 after all. I was going by memory and that's what tonight's memory was. I'm really not sure other than it's 3.xx something.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's a good question. No change. I may have 3.73 after all. I was going by memory and that's what tonight's memory was. I'm really not sure other than it's 3.xx something.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whoa Leo, you've got LOS syndrome.

The 3.73 was standard in my 2004, 6.0 and I believe it was the standard gear ratio on all 6.0 until the 6 speed debuted with a 3.42. Regardless, mid 17's is great and maybe you could end the year in the high 16's.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've got FOMWEASST syndrome unfortunately and I hope to end the year at an equal if not higher number.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Forgetful old man who has eaten and slept since then and I believe it's both air and water borne and automatic at some point, especially when one becomes a grandpa.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The month of May I got 17.62 mpg. That brought my ytd average up to 16.73. My best year ever mpg-wise was 2009 with 17.07 for the year.