White glove

Kid_7

Expert Expediter
As a newbie perhaps this question does not need to be asked, but here goes: Is there any reason why a team would NOT want to go to the upper class of expediting within their carrier, be it called White Glove, or Platinum, or whatever. Frequently we run into trucks whose drivers are getting out of expediting completely or going back to surface and we have wondered why. Why wouldn't someone want to go up to top level if the opportunity was offered?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When you go to the carrier's top or limited or whatever you choose to call it group you also go from around 98% no touch to lots of freight handling, padding etc.. On top of that it includes some inside p/u and delivery etc. also. Yes, it pays more but you do quite a bit more physical labor along with it. Some people just want to do the driving and leave the handling to others.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I agree with Leo as it does take a certain type to want to handle this type of freight. I would also add that for us it was a cost consideration. By the time we figured all the extra costs, which incluse the reefer, liftgate and maintenance items, we found at the end of the day, the same amount of net income.
For that reason, I would research it very carefully before pursuing.
Probably the same reasons you see so many ads in the classifieds looking for these types of drivers.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
also in white glove when i was with fedexcc, they had what they called a white glove lock, if you were the only truck there and white glove though they would need you they would put a white glove lock on you and no one could use you unless they asked white glove to unlock you, they tried to put a white glove lock on me a couple of times and i would ask them to take lock off and they would say can't do that
and i would say i'm out of hours and put me out of service for 8 hours until i get my hours back, or if you don't take it off you won't have any trucks here as i'm leaving town and taking my truck and going home

when they put the white glove lock on you , missed alot of load
and they don't pay you why they have the on you that's what i didn't like if you going to hold me for a reason i need to be paid for my time to sit around,

that is why l sold alot of different things on the road got to make some money some how

looked at each layover as a business op as i sold 12 different things

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Yeah... what Geo said! The companies are basically more anal about their "elite" trucks. And, depending on the company, they're anal regardless. I would rather be running, than be told to sit three days, then the load not end up happening. It doesn't matter how much the load pays.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
The Co. I'm leased to has a "Black Glove" division, which I run for.

I touch EVERY piece of freight as it's loaded onto the truck and again when I deliver to the consignee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Life Is Good!

Rex

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
kid -7
you didnt say what size unit you have
I'm in an E unit,was in the 1st w/g class that roberts expres had,and as a tracor trailer team,the actual pay wasnt any different than if you were just in surface expedite,EXEPT,back then you had more run offers, cause it was like being two companies at same time,by the way,w/g C and D units make more per mile than their surface brothers and sisters,E unit pay is the same,per mile but they do average longer loads
If you had to buy a new refer the way they want it equipped today,i'm not sure its worth it
I am now running for surface expedite,my pay is as good as when i was in w/g,and i dont have to touch any freight,in fact in the last 175 loads,ive not touched 1 load,except for putting load bars up or strapping it in
good luck to you
hope I was a help

nightcreacher
steve gilbert
ooida member 263839
E6613

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Oh and as far as w/g lock,just check and see if locked,they wil remove it if you ask,might give you a hard time but they will remove it

ATeam

Retired Expediter
A while ago, FedEx, without fanfare, stopped putting "White Glove Services" on its trucks and appearl (uniforms). While some White Glove drivers may disagree, I was glad to see that. If you are an expediter, you are elite, whatever division you may or may not work for. Expediters perform awesome feats every day.

Shippers who order White Glove trucks know what they are paying for and why. That's enough recognition. The whole world does not need to know about White Glove, just the shippers and consignees who need White Glove services. The FedEx sales force and the White Glove drivers at the docks take care of that.

The disadvantages of White Glove include dealing with very particular shippers and handling high value freight. For drivers that want to bump docks and run, White Glove is not the ticket.

Having hauled White Glove freight for three years, we've come to enjoy meeting many of those very particular shippers and handling the very interesting freight they often have.

The main advantage of White Glove, though, is the loads you get that you otherwise would not. With White Glove-equipped trucks (pallet jacks, furniture pads, furniture dollies, hand trucks, tripod dollies, lift gates, and reefers (some trucks); WG drivers get loads non-WG drivers never see. WG HAZMAT qualifications and security clearances also add to the types of loads you can haul.

If you can rise to the level of service White Glove shippers and consignees demand, WG can be a more lucrative endeavor because you are eligible to haul more kinds of freight.

Regarding the equipment expense v. return discussion, people here, myself included, have gone back and forth about that for years. I have nothing more to say about that here that I have not already said before. In a word, for drivers who are up for the WG challenge, the equipment pays for itself and is well worth the investment.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
when i was with fedexcc i did haul a few white glove loads and when white glove trucks didn't know how to load or unload the truck they call me into help or to haul the load as the white glove didn't know what to do

one case in nj one time carried a machine that was 5,100 hundred lbs
, and was 14 ' long and 3 ' wide the white glove truck had no idea how toget on the truck or off and they called me in to take
use pallet jack at one end and forklift at the other end

when got to del they had no dock or forklift and they said how do we get this off the truck and into factory i had them call a local towing company and they had a roll back come over and roll it on and roll off and into factory so i use say when people ask me if i was white glove i would tell them i'm white glove back up

even here at egl when they have a proble on how to load i go along to help load what ever it is

navy cargo handle rule