what dealer sells single axle cutaway box trucks {don't recomend a sprinter}

briggie1

Seasoned Expediter
i am looking for a dealer who sells those 12' long single axle vans with a box, like those little penske trucks, i know most any dealer has them but i wanted to know where some of you bought yours, i am tired of the upkeep and breaking dow in this sprinter!! i will not buy another one, and i upkept it very well, it is just to hard to find a mechanic for it and parts are over priced and always have to be special ordered.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Most of the DRW Penske vans used in the last 3-4 yrs are 12,300 gvw....the SRW are 96-9900lb gvw but usually only 10 ft boxes.....

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
It's tough to find a good combination of max GVW and sufficient wheelbase. It seems the big box manufacturers just don't get our market, nor do they care to. Believe me, I tried. I'm only making mine because I couldn't get any of them to listen. You may want to consider building one.

mugurpe

Seasoned Expediter
get a used fleet vehicle, in particular a penske. you can search penske's inventory right on their website.

as for what truck to buy, I don't recommend cut-vans (trucks with a box and a van cab). Get a cab-over isuzu. they're built for much heavier duty, longer maintenance cycles, and much easier to work on. They also park like a dream. And if you wear out the chassis, and the box is good, you can swap it onto a newer truck (saving money on the box, but also any livery you've put on). Can't do that with the cut-vans.

and don't get a truck from new england.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
mugurpe wrote:

And if you wear out the chassis, and the box is good, you can swap it onto a newer truck (saving money on the box, but also any livery you've put on). Can't do that with the cut-vans.

Sooo, you are saying that the bolt on box on a cut away van chassis can not be taken off and put on another chassis??....

Oh and without looking it up, I believe the minimum gvw on a isuzu exceeds 10,000 gvw...might be wrong, but i don't think so..well unless you have it re-certified to a lower GVW...but unless you are a final stage manufacturer, thats kinda tough to do also....

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
What chefdennis said.

The Isuzu is nice but its too wide, too heavy, and the GVW requires logging. Its just a poor excuse for a real straight truck.

mugurpe

Seasoned Expediter
I've owned cut-vans, isuzus and larger trucks as well. I've looked into swapping the box on a cutvan and it looked like a bad idea. Lots of unintended consequences of the switch made it a poor economic choice.I wouldn't agree they're a poor excuse for a straight truck, but you are right they are over 10K gvw. I do however think those single rear wheel box trucks are in fact poor excuse for a straight truck. They ride terribly, and the wind really pushes them around.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I hauled Isuzus for ten years. They are fantastic little trucks. If I ran little daycabs, they'd be my first choice. If I could buy the right Fedex ground route, I'll be in one for my retirement job. I have a relative that puts in a ten hour day,gets a two hour lunch, works Mon-Fri and drives 82 miles pet day in his truck.
He does better than than a lot of us and he can sell his route when he retires.
I'd buy an Isuzu for his route without hesitation.

Deville

Not a Member
I love those 10ft cutaway vans. They are money makers. They are as tough as a regular ford e series, they ride very nice. With the single axle configuration you only pay single axle tolls. I see alot of FEDEX ground & Home delivery drivers driving them.

I've seen the box come in all diffrent shaoes & sizes, inculding a side roll up door. The regular 10ft box can get two skids inside with a little room to spare & lot's of room on the sides.

There is a Penske version of this truck that I see at a rental place daily, I drool when I see this truck It's PERFECT! Single axle 14ft box with a flat floor. I want it so bad.

Goodyear motors had a really nice 2007 Ford with a liftgate, very nice little truck.

I'm planing on buying one of these little trucks from Budget this summer.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The title of this thread is misleading and incorrect. I believe it should read: What Dealer Sells Single Rear Wheel (SRW) Cutaway Box Trucks. There seems to be some confusion regarding single rear wheel and dual rear wheel chassis. Both would be considered single axle.

Deville

Not a Member
The title of this thread is misleading and incorrect. I believe it should read: What Dealer Sells Single Rear Wheel (SRW) Cutaway Box Trucks. There seems to be some confusion regarding single rear wheel and dual rear wheel chassis. Both would be considered single axle.

It's much easier getting insurance for a single axle cutaway. It still registers as a van.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I thought all trucks had at least 2 axles and four tires, some have two axles and six tires, and a few have two axles with six tires, but were converted to four tires, like my new truck.

I don't think a single axle truck would work very well, probably tipping over a lot. :)

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I thought all trucks had at least 2 axles and four tires, some have two axles and six tires, and a few have two axles with six tires, but were converted to four tires, like my new truck.

I don't think a single axle truck would work very well, probably tipping over a lot. :)

Uniaxle? Maybe a new invention?