Super Truck

zorry

Veteran Expediter
A properly spec'd Cascadia with a good driver can do that now.
It wouldn't surprise me if Messilla Valley had some 10 mpg Prostar's out there.
That isn't far from being common.
My tax lady freaked when she saw my fuel cost as a % of income.
She said she still gets a lot of 5 mpg guys.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Snow 20" deep is not meant to be driven through with or without chains! The chains work best on ice or not to many inches of snow. Deep snow is the pits.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
A properly spec'd Cascadia with a good driver can do that now.
It wouldn't surprise me if Messilla Valley had some 10 mpg Prostar's out there.
That isn't far from being common.
My tax lady freaked when she saw my fuel cost as a % of income.
She said she still gets a lot of 5 mpg guys.

Maybe 10mpg in a ST is achievable and not that big of a deal but for TT it is not so. The focus on lowering fuel costs has brought new technology and ideas into the industry which makes 8mpg a reasonable goal for drivers to shoot for.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I believe the smarter players have 8 pretty well covered.My 98 Volvo had a lifetime avg of 8.6 pulling a Heartland 53' hauling lite loads in 55 mph states.
I heard of Schneider drivers in the 8's on dedicated runs many years ago.
Google Jim Booth and see what he was doing for Cat in the early 90's.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I believe the smarter players have 8 pretty well covered.My 98 Volvo had a lifetime avg of 8.6 pulling a Heartland 53' hauling lite loads in 55 mph states.
I heard of Schneider drivers in the 8's on dedicated runs many years ago.
Google Jim Booth and see what he was doing for Cat in the early 90's.

You have to remember the decrease of 1mpg that came with the EGR. I was getting over 7mpg running 70mph, the truck was an '01 Freightliner. Right now I am driving an '05 Freightliner and at 65 it gets about 6mpg. As the technology improves some of the lost fuel mileage is coming back but 8mpg is the target for a driver. An O/O with a pre-emissions truck that is speced right and driven slower could be at 9mpg with a modest investment.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
with my 01 western star 6 wheeler i was getting 11 mph using custom blend oil and ace's 2 for fuel

BigCat

Expert Expediter
What fuel saving measures has Ozark taken? Sideskirts? Are you governed at 63? APU?

We have the new wabash light weight trailers with skirts, tripac apu and governed at 65. Our shop guy says they are all regeared for best fuel efficiency.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Here is mine hooked to our new trailer.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByEO Forums1365212650.491710.jpg
    ImageUploadedByEO Forums1365212650.491710.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 37

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
This is real world and without all of the money spent on that "Super Truck" that has now broken the 10.05 mark and for a lot more miles as well....

Team Run Smart - Henry Albert

That's awesome fuel mileage! I wonder if Mr. Albert uses any hyper miling techniques to achieve that MPG? Or just sets the cruise and lets the truck roll. I also would think that Mr. Albert's, familiarity with his route would be a factor in achieving the 10.05 Mpg average.

jimmy

paullud

Veteran Expediter
We have the new wabash light weight trailers with skirts, tripac apu and governed at 65. Our shop guy says they are all regeared for best fuel efficiency.

The APU is a great benefit for the company and drivers.